Bad experience with guest services.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 3, 2015
My wife and I recently cruised aboard the Norwegian Sky. We had one very unfortunate incident with guest services on the ship. I have written an email in regards to the situation and want to make sure it gets to the right person.

Does anyone have any insight on where I should go from here? I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing back.

Sep 22, 2014
Anthony
Can you give us more detail (post your proposed email) so we can make suggestions on what to emphsize and what to go lightly on.

We urge you to contact at the lowest level and allow 7 days before escalating to the next level if you receive no reply or an adverse reply

John

Level 1

passengerservices@ncl.com /* */
Remember to include copies of all documents and prior emails when requesting assistance. NCL has a reputation for protecting its customer loyalty base if the resolution request is reasonable but does not react positively to threats or over-reaching. Remember to state your proposed solution with specificity and keep it reasonable.

Executive Contacts
If you contact the company by email, you should receive an almost immediate return receipt, and a substantive reply within one week. If you don't, it's safe to assume you're being ignored. Before you reach out to one of these managers, please review these suggestions, which will increase the odds of a successful appeal.
Escalate your request as an appeal to a higher coporate level.

Level 2
Primary Contact

Crane Gladding
Vice President, Passenger Services
7665 Corporate Center Dr.
Miami, FL 33126
(305) 436-4000
CGladding@ncl.com /* */

Level 3
Secondary Contact

Andrew Stuart
Executive Vice President
Miami, FL 33126
(305) 436-4000
AStuart@ncl.com /* */

Level 4
Chief Executive

Drew Madsen
President and CEO
Miami, FL 33126
(305) 436-4000
DMadsen@ncl.com /* */

Level 5
If all else fails, fill out this form requesting Chris Elliott's intervention

http://elliott.org/help/

Mar 3, 2015
Thank you, here is the proposed email.

Hello,

My wife and I recently cruised to the Bahamas aboard the Norwegian Sky. While for the most part we had an enjoyable experience, there was an incident with guest services that was inexcusable.

We were cruising for our honeymoon and had purchased a romance package back in spring of 2014. Also one of our friends went out of her way and bought us a $50 onboard credit before our cruise. On the second day of the cruise we realized we had not received our roses, champagne, or any part of the romance package. We went down to guest services to inquire why we hadn’t received anything. Immediately the representative told us there wasn't a romance package on our account and didn’t want to offer any further help or an explanation. We then asked about the $50 onboard credit from our friend and were given the same reply, “It’s not in our system”. At this point my wife was very upset and asked if something else could be done to check on why these items were not on our account. We offered to show receipts in our email, but she declined to look at them. The representative than said she would give us a courtesy call to our bank to see if the charge for the romance package had ever gone through, which was ridiculous and embarrassing. My wife made the call, our bank confirmed it and gave us the details of the transaction, but nobody seemed to care anyhow. The original person who had helped us was basically ignoring us at this point and didn't even come back to hang up the phone. Meanwhile another rep told me that we were probably mistaken, and that charge was for the ultimate beverage package that we had also purchased two days ago. We tried to explain that the charge we were talking about was from March not the purchase we made two days ago, but once again we were told we were mistaken. By now my wife was visibly upset and embarrassed and nobody would listen to us. Finally we were told that they put an inquiry in about the two issues. At that point we left guest services because arguing with representatives wasn’t how we wanted to spend anymore time on our honeymoon.

Our cellphone service was roaming so we were avoiding use on the ship, but my wife wanted to call our friend that bought us the $50 credit so that she could call Norwegian on our behalf. Within a half hour she called back and told us that she talked to somebody that confirmed we had purchased the romance package and we were actually double charged for it. She also was told that the 50.00 credit was paid for and we should have that as well. Later that day I received a call in our stateroom confirming this as well, but was offered no apology. In the end we received the romance package, and enjoyed the remainder of our trip. On our final invoice from the cruise we were reimbursed for the double charge of the romance package, but there was never a record of the 50.00 on board credit. The principle of this is just upsetting. My friend went of her way and yet we were treated to feel like we were wrong and we never received her gift. It is ridiculous we had to follow up on the honeymoon package and her credit, and the resolution is still not fully completed. We were so discouraged with guest services we decided to wait until we were home to deal with this.

I wanted to write this to bring to someones attention of the poor customer service that we received aboard the Sky. Again it wasn’t the whole trip or all of the service that was poor, but that one incident was very upsetting. I want to know what can be done, and at the very least we want our $50 credited to our bill. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Anthony Galewood

Sep 22, 2014
Thank you, here is the proposed email.

Hello,

My wife and I recently cruised to the Bahamas aboard the Norwegian Sky. While for the most part we had an enjoyable experience, there was an incident with guest services that was inexcusable.

We were cruising for our honeymoon and had purchased a romance package back in spring of 2014. Also one of our friends went out of her way and bought us a $50 onboard credit before our cruise. On the second day of the cruise we realized we had not received our roses, champagne, or any part of the romance package. We went down to guest services to inquire why we hadn’t received anything. Immediately the representative told us there wasn't a romance package on our account and didn’t want to offer any further help or an explanation. We then asked about the $50 onboard credit from our friend and were given the same reply, “It’s not in our system”. At this point my wife was very upset and asked if something else could be done to check on why these items were not on our account. We offered to show receipts in our email, but she declined to look at them. The representative than said she would give us a courtesy call to our bank to see if the charge for the romance package had ever gone through, which was ridiculous and embarrassing. My wife made the call, our bank confirmed it and gave us the details of the transaction, but nobody seemed to care anyhow. The original person who had helped us was basically ignoring us at this point and didn't even come back to hang up the phone. Meanwhile another rep told me that we were probably mistaken, and that charge was for the ultimate beverage package that we had also purchased two days ago. We tried to explain that the charge we were talking about was from March not the purchase we made two days ago, but once again we were told we were mistaken. By now my wife was visibly upset and embarrassed and nobody would listen to us. Finally we were told that they put an inquiry in about the two issues. At that point we left guest services because arguing with representatives wasn’t how we wanted to spend anymore time on our honeymoon.

Our cellphone service was roaming so we were avoiding use on the ship, but my wife wanted to call our friend that bought us the $50 credit so that she could call Norwegian on our behalf. Within a half hour she called back and told us that she talked to somebody that confirmed we had purchased the romance package and we were actually double charged for it. She also was told that the 50.00 credit was paid for and we should have that as well. Later that day I received a call in our stateroom confirming this as well, but was offered no apology. In the end we received the romance package, and enjoyed the remainder of our trip. On our final invoice from the cruise we were reimbursed for the double charge of the romance package, but there was never a record of the 50.00 on board credit. The principle of this is just upsetting. My friend went of her way and yet we were treated to feel like we were wrong and we never received her gift. It is ridiculous we had to follow up on the honeymoon package and her credit, and the resolution is still not fully completed. We were so discouraged with guest services we decided to wait until we were home to deal with this.

I wanted to write this to bring to someones attention of the poor customer service that we received aboard the Sky. Again it wasn’t the whole trip or all of the service that was poor, but that one incident was very upsetting. I want to know what can be done, and at the very least we want our $50 credited to our bill. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Anthony Galewood
Anthony

First, allow me to offer my congratulations on your marriage. I hasten to add that I am astounded by the lack service you recieved from NCL Sky's customer service desk. I have logged 22 cruises with NCL since 2006 and our second cruise was on the Sky (when it was then named Pride of Aloha). I know first hand that NCL can and usually does much better than what you recieved.

This is exactly the type of situation that calls for Executive action at NCL's headquarters.
Your presentation is well modulated and provides the facts in a clear and understandable manner. The only suggestion I have is that you edit it down to about the length of just your first paragraph. Continue to use your narrative form but edit your sentences to about 1/2 length.

Example
REPLACE
We were cruising for our honeymoon and had purchased a romance package back in spring of 2014. Also one of our friends went out of her way and bought us a $50 onboard credit before our cruise.
WITH
Prior to our honeymoon cruise we purchased a romance package and our friends bought us a $50 OBC gift.​

I think you should also consider asking for a token of recompense in addition to the restitution of the $50.

I would suggest you ask for $250 on a future cruise either in the form of an:
Future Cruise Reward Certificate (may be used at booking as complete deposit) OR
Administrative OBC (issued upon boarding).

Please let us know what happens with weekly reports as you escalate your case

John

Dec 26, 2014
Anthony, I'm sorry to hear this happened. I've seen where pre-purchased 'Bon Voyage' gift confirmations don't make it to the ship for whatever reason, including gifts I've purchased for clients as well. I agree, you were treated poorly and unfairly by Guest Services.

You are on the right track by writing a letter. In addition to McNeal's suggestions, I also strongly suggest you include purchase dates and copies of receipts/confirmations for both the honeymoon package and $50 OBC gift with your letter to help expedite the process.

Good luck, and please keep us posted with the outcome.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Let me join those who've wished you happiness on your recent marriage :)

The advice above is sound, and I look forward to hearing a positive outcome. I also agree that you should ask for recompense from NCL ... after all, it WAS your honeymoon.

The good thing is that your friend TOLD you about the $50 onboard credit she had purchased for you, so you knew to look for it. All too often giftgivers don't tell the recipients in advance, wanting to surprise them onboard. If that had been the case, you would never have known the $50 was missing, and your friend would not have known you did not receive it.

Dec 27, 2014
London UK
Anthony - Congratulations on your marriage and not letting this one ting ruin the whole honeymoon.

My partner had a similar issue a few years ago on the NCL Jade with prepaid service charges and it took me calling the UK office and getting them to contact the ship to get it sorted.

I am leaving for a cruise this weekend on the NCL Spirit and after that incident I always make sure I travel with my Amenity Confirmation (or Amenity Invoice) which you can get from you TA or NCL direct which shows almost everything extra you paid for before you got on board. If you do sail with NCL again (and I hope you do) I would ask for one. The only thing that can be bad is if you wife was trying to surprise you with something as it would most likely show up on there.

As everyone else said you are on the right track to getting this sorted out, just sad it had to come to this.

Best of luck and looking forward to hearing your outcome.

Dan