Avis Windshield Damage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 14, 2019
Hello I rented a car from Avis with a debit card two months ago. The car unknowingly was hit with a rock and had a chip. It did not spread and could barley be seen. The agent pointed it out at return but said they usually don’t charge for those and made me fill out an incident report, well they did. I received a letter saying I owe $498.00. Is there anyway to fight the cost or get it reduced. If anything I expected repair charges but not a replacement charge.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A chip is eventually going to spread and it’s not safe to drive with a chipped windshield.

Did you purchase the rental cars insurance? Does your own car insurance cover rentals?

Unfortunately with a debit card you don’t have included travel insurance that you might have had if you used a credit card so unless you bought car rental insurance or you have no deductible on your own car insurance that covers a rental, you owe for the repair.

What I would do is ask to see a copy of the paid repair bill to insure you are only being charged for the actual damage.

Aug 14, 2019
A chip is eventually going to spread and it’s not safe to drive with a chipped windshield.

Did you purchase the rental cars insurance? Does your own car insurance cover rentals?

Unfortunately with a debit card you don’t have included travel insurance that you might have had if you used a credit card so unless you bought car rental insurance or you have no deductible on your own car insurance that covers a rental, you owe for the repair.

What I would do is ask to see a copy of the paid repair bill to insure you are only being charged for the actual damage.
Hi no I did not purchase the rental insurance. I have requested a receipt of charges, waiting on those now.

Mar 14, 2018
Agreed. I based my post on what anburge1 said: "It did not spread and could barley be seen."
Windshield repairs are still visible even if they are structurally sound. For that reason, many states won't allow you to repair a windshield chip if it in the driver's line of site. And even if it is allowed, that doesn't mean Avis would be required to accept a repair instead of a replacement.

Jan 6, 2015
Windshield repairs are still visible even if they are structurally sound. For that reason, many states won't allow you to repair a windshield chip if it in the driver's line of site. And even if it is allowed, that doesn't mean Avis would be required to accept a repair instead of a replacement.
Hence my earlier statement: "this comes down to what the rental policy says . . . "

Dec 19, 2014
The OP acknowledges that the chip occurred when he/she was driving the vehicle, so there is no disputing that fact.
Unfortunately, windshield chip that is visible and noticeable is damage to the vehicle, so any repair charges are going to be valid.
My suspicion is that the return agent said "they usually don't charge for this" as a "lie" so that there was no resistance by the OP to complete and sign the incident form. (Granted, the incident form is legitimate in this situation).

Hopefully, the OP took photos of the said chip for documentation purposes.
My recommended approach is to request the itemized repair bill and once the specific charges are identified, negotiate the "inflated" items. For all we know there could be loss of use, diminished value, etc baked into the "bill." Was the chip repaired or was the windshield replaced? The charges are high, but no one knows what the OP is being billed.

Good luck