Avis/Viking Billing Services Admin Fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 9, 2018
Hello, I would appreciate your guidance on the following issue. My Avis rental car was rear-ended while I was on vacation in California on June 20, 2018. I was stopped at a yield sign and the other driver accelerated into the back of my rental vehicle. The police were called and a police report was generated. The other driver was determined to be at fault. Their insurance, Geico, has paid all costs except for a $100 admin fee. Avis charged $0 for loss of use. Geico has rejected paying this $100 admin fee because they say I agreed to pay it when I declined LDW coverage. At the time of the accident, I filed a claim with my own insurance, USAA and the credit card that I used to book the rental car. The admin fee is less than my deductible, and coverage through my credit card doesn't cover admin fees. Should I just pay this? It just doesn't seem right that I have to pay for something that was caused by the at-fault driver. I look forward to hearing your thoughts! Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You owe the admin fee if you didn't buy their insurance that waives it. Check the paperwork you signed - it usually indicates what ou will owe if an accident occurs. You are very lucky that they aren't charging you for loss of use and storage fees - we get many complaints about that being billed.

Mar 14, 2018
They are at fault so they are responsible for any losses that you incur due to their actions. This includes any fees, and would also include loss of use if Avis charged it. If Geico doesn't like Avis' charges, it's up to them to negotiate with Avis. Push back on Geico and tell them Avis does not view the claim as settled yet.

Sep 27, 2017
They are at fault so they are responsible for any losses that you incur due to their actions. This includes any fees, and would also include loss of use if Avis charged it. If Geico doesn't like Avis' charges, it's up to them to negotiate with Avis. Push back on Geico and tell them Avis does not view the claim as settled yet.
When you contact Geico, do so in writing or by email. Check the menus here for the 'Company Contacts' page and find Geico, and write one-at-a-time to the contacts listed. Start with thet lowest person on the totem pole, and give a week for them to respond. If no response or an unsatisfactory response, move up the ladder. There's also information on how to write effective complaint letters, etc. Read that before you write!

Nov 20, 2015
Did you rent the car through the USAA portal or use the USAA discount code? If so(when you rent from Avis, Hertz, Budget, or Enterprise) you are covered for:
  • Loss of use of the vehicle, if damaged.
  • Decrease in the value of the vehicle due to any damage sustained.
  • Administrative costs.
So, if you did rent using the portal, call USAA and the fee will be waived. You don't need to talk to Geico. If not, you're missing out on a great benefit.

Oct 9, 2018
Did you rent the car through the USAA portal or use the USAA discount code? If so(when you rent from Avis, Hertz, Budget, or Enterprise) you are covered for:
  • Loss of use of the vehicle, if damaged.
  • Decrease in the value of the vehicle due to any damage sustained.
  • Administrative costs.
So, if you did rent using the portal, call USAA and the fee will be waived. You don't need to talk to Geico. If not, you're missing out on a great benefit.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I did not know about this benefit when I rented the car. I rented the vehicle through Costco. I will use the USAA benefit in the future though.

Oct 9, 2018
When you contact Geico, do so in writing or by email. Check the menus here for the 'Company Contacts' page and find Geico, and write one-at-a-time to the contacts listed. Start with thet lowest person on the totem pole, and give a week for them to respond. If no response or an unsatisfactory response, move up the ladder. There's also information on how to write effective complaint letters, etc. Read that before you write!
Thank you for your advice. I will do that. Is there any specific wording that you would recommend that I include in my correspondence?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Not necessarily - most insurance companies specifically state they will not pay admin fees and the contract the car rental companies have you sign often states that the renter is responsible for those fees. It's a nuisance fee.

Mar 14, 2018
Not necessarily - most insurance companies specifically state they will not pay admin fees and the contract the car rental companies have you sign often states that the renter is responsible for those fees. It's a nuisance fee.
That's for your own collision and comprehensive coverage for when you damage your own rental. This issue is covered by the other person's liability policy, which has no such exclusions.