AVIS STOLE MONEY FROM MY WALLET

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 4, 2017
I choose to write today because AVIS Car Rental company not standing up to truth.
I've called, placed report, have police report and your management was
to return my call… got no response. We rented a car from you for approx
13 days in your Honolulu HI, airport location 9/13/2017 - 9/27/2017. We
paid exactly what we were supposed to, filled the car up with gas and
returned it undamaged. A few minutes before returning the car I filled
it up with gas then left my wallet inside your vehicle. I realized it
the next day and called. I couldn't get anyone on the phone after
waiting a very long time so I drove to the airport location and spoke
with customer service. They told me no wallet had been turned in but
they would have car checked. It had not been rented out yet. I also
looked inside car and no wallet. I spoke with customer service again. I
explained I KNEW I had left the wallet inside so they finally asked the
manager and they located my wallet. It had everything inside except
every dime of cash had been stolen. I had approx $100 inside. If I had
been treated like your company cared I would have let it go. You had ALL
my contact info, you had my drivers license, insurance card, etc. to
contact me. Also, as you know I had to do paperwork to rent the car. I
received no phone call ahead of my having to drive the 20 miles to your
location to ask about my wallet. The first thing the manager said to me
was "I can vouch for my employees." What does that say about your
company? Not one employee had been asked, you had my wallet, I had
received no phone call, the wallet was completely empty of cash (STOLEN)
and yet your manager can "vouch for his employees." Exactly what was he
vouching for? I too am self employed and have employees. I would not
want to even think I have thieves working for me. But lets forget that
for a moment. My wife and I had a conversation about the situation
afterwards and said, "okay, if the manager does as he says and
investigates and calls me back in the time span he assured us he would
we would let it go." We had already reported it to Airport deputy
sheriff of which his very first words were "you know you won't get your
money back right." WOW - NOT one person that worked for AVIS had been
questioned and yet everyone gave me assurances of negativity. It's not
the $100 that was stolen by your company from me. It's that your manager
lied to me. It is now a full day and a half since he promised to call me
after his "investigation" and I've heard nothing. I was not offered so
much as a discount if I rent again...NOTHING but negativity.

After contacting the home office of AVIS Car rental at 1-800-352-7900 and speaking to a man named "ALEX" didn't provide last name. Then 3 emails back and forth I was offered $32. Avis Case 21130247.
Maria Hernandez Representative | Email Customer Service Avis Rent A Car System, LLC - This woman lets me know that the rental agreement protects them from their employees stealing money out of my wallet. No camera confirmation, no phone call back from "ALEX" as he said he would do. Just simple, their employees are not held accountable for their theft and they do not follow up but to simply say, "hey guys, did you steal any money from this man's wallet." But why would they. They can steal and I signed a rental agreement according to Maria Hernandez that allows them to do so. I was told by Kanoa Kealoha from Honolulu, Airport location that that the insurance she's referring to means while I have the car in my possession and something is stolen they aren't responsible. NOW THE MAIN OFFICE IS TELLING ME THAT ISN'T TRUE and they are within their rights to steal from me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts for Avis. I would suggest you write to the Executives, ONE AT A TIME, starting at the bottom.

State facts only- you need to cut this letter by 2/3. State facts only. No insults or make calling.

Anyone walking past the unlocked car after you dropped it could have taken that money. It might not have been an employee. Remember, you left the wallet in the car so some responsibiliy for what happened is in you. If it were me, I'd be happy that I got my I.d. And credit cards back. $100 is not a lot in view of the fact that you could have had thousands in charges out in any credit cards which would have caused a lot more problems with your hotel and any restaurants you might have needed to use.

Did you ask them to review any security footage they may have had?

Here are our company contacts, it's time to go beyond the location.
Avis Budget

Avis Budget Group owns the Avis and Budget brands. They operate more than 10,000 car rental locations in approximately 175 countries around the world. Avis Budget also owns Zipcar, a car sharing network.

6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
http://www.avisbudgetgroup.com

Phone Contacts
Main: (973) 496-4700
Toll Free: (800) 352-7900

Avis (800) 633-3469
Budget (800) 621-2844

Also (973) 496 3500

Email Contacts
budgetcustomerservice@budgetgroup.com
custserv@avis.com

Email us form
Customer service

Customer Service Resources

Social Media Contacts
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus

Executive Contacts
Primary Contact
Becky Peachey
Customer Service Manager
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
918-624-4121
becky.peachey@avisbudget.com

Secondary Contact
Joseph Bartee
Director of Customer Service and Outsourced Operations
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
918-624-4194
joe.bartee@avisbudget.com

Melanie Dobson
Customer Service Email Supervisor
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
918-624-4226
Melanie.Dobson@avisbudget.com

Chief Executive
Ronald L. Nelson
CEO
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
ronald.nelson@avisbudget.com

Sep 19, 2015
How terrible. Certainly the company could have been proactive in contacting the OP once the wallet was found. But absent a video showing that it was an employee who took the money it could have been another customer.

I tried to look up the location of the rental to see if it shares space with a garage or other rental and saw that the OP has already posted a negative review on yelp.

The company most certainly should have contacted our OP since they had his license and contact information, and if this is the crux of the matter then I'm in full agreement with his being upset.

However I'm wondering about the actual theft. There are several possibilities, other than an employee theft.

Could it be that the wallet was not left in the car but instead fell to the ground as he got out of the car. It might even have been lost while walking out of the lot. In that case someone who was not an employee may have relieved the wallet of its cash and that person, or someone else, may have turned it in to Avis. It's next to impossible to prove where the wallet was lost and found.

Sep 3, 2017
What leads to Camara's reasonable suspicions about misconduct on the part of Avis employees is 1) she was not immediately contacted by Avis after her wallet was turned in when, according to her, Avis had her contact information from the rental and 2) when she went to the Avis location personally a day after returning the call, she was initially told that her wallet hadn't been turned in when, it turns out, it had been turned in and the manager had it. It's reasonably troubling that it was only after she made it very clear in a further call to Avis customer service that the wallet was in the car when she'd returned it the day before that the manager "located" the wallet after being contacted by customer service. Thus the manager's assurance that he trusts all his employees doesn't bear a lot of weight.
A frustrating experience, and a good reminder to always check to see you have take with you all possessions when exiting a rental car, a cab, an airplane, a train, and putting your groceries in your car at the supermarket. I am fortunate to live in an area where, when I recently entirely forgot I had a bag of purchases in my carriage at a local drug store and called up a few hours later, some other lovely person had brought them into the store where I retrieved them the next day. And I got to speak with their lovely employee Mike who I see about once every six months...

May 17, 2016
We have company contacts for Avis. I would suggest you write to the Executives, ONE AT A TIME, starting at the bottom.

State facts only- you need to cut this letter by 2/3. State facts only. No insults or make calling.

Anyone walking past the unlocked car after you dropped it could have taken that money. It might not have been an employee. Remember, you left the wallet in the car so some responsibiliy for what happened is in you. If it were me, I'd be happy that I got my I.d. And credit cards back. $100 is not a lot in view of the fact that you could have had thousands in charges out in any credit cards which would have caused a lot more problems with your hotel and any restaurants you might have needed to use.

Did you ask them to review any security footage they may have had?

Here are our company contacts, it's time to go beyond the location.
Avis Budget

Avis Budget Group owns the Avis and Budget brands. They operate more than 10,000 car rental locations in approximately 175 countries around the world. Avis Budget also owns Zipcar, a car sharing network.

6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
http://www.avisbudgetgroup.com

Phone Contacts
Main: (973) 496-4700
Toll Free: (800) 352-7900

Avis (800) 633-3469
Budget (800) 621-2844

Also (973) 496 3500

Email Contacts
budgetcustomerservice@budgetgroup.com
custserv@avis.com

Email us form
Customer service

Customer Service Resources

Social Media Contacts
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus

Executive Contacts
Primary Contact
Becky Peachey
Customer Service Manager
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
918-624-4121
becky.peachey@avisbudget.com

Secondary Contact
Joseph Bartee
Director of Customer Service and Outsourced Operations
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
918-624-4194
joe.bartee@avisbudget.com

Melanie Dobson
Customer Service Email Supervisor
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
918-624-4226
Melanie.Dobson@avisbudget.com

Chief Executive
Ronald L. Nelson
CEO
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, NJ 07054
ronald.nelson@avisbudget.com
Good answer. The credit cards and ID are worth a heckuva lot more than $100. I would let it go. First of all, he can't prove the money was in the wallet in the first place. (I'm not calling him a liar, but allegations must be provable.) Secondly, nobody is going to admit to the alleged theft. But it's irksome and, frankly, quite odd that no one called him when the wallet was found. That's what I would be complaining about.