Avis rental

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 15, 2019
My partner and I have been told by AVIS that we have caused $500 of damage that we did not do.
When picking up the car my partner went in signed the forms and bought the keys out and we found the car in the car park - got in and drove out as someone opened the boom gate after looking at the windscreen.
They have said we have cracked the bumper next to a fog light and provided pictures of the car and odometer, a completed incident report and a detailed quote from their mechanic.
We were silly and didn’t take photos of the car or even have a really good look at it before we got in - my question is, do we have any chance of fighting this or not because we have no evidence that it wasn’t us. I have read the letter and bullet points in the forum to send but I don’t feel it really applies because they in fact have provided all the information.
thanks in advance!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Did you take the Avis insurance or does your credit card provide insurance?
Since you did not inspect the car when you accepted it and did not take pictures you will have difficulty getting out of this.
Did you verify that the odometer reading was from your rental period? That may be your only out if the odometer does not correspond with your rental period.
Unfortunately these events are very common, and some are scams where the rental agency has a car with a small bumper or body damage and charges each customer for repair, and then does not make the repair. Rinse and repeat with the next rental.

Oct 15, 2019
Did you take the Avis insurance or does your credit card provide insurance?
Since you did not inspect the car when you accepted it and did not take pictures you will have difficulty getting out of this.
Did you verify that the odometer reading was from your rental period? That may be your only out if the odometer does not correspond with your rental period.
Unfortunately these events are very common, and some are scams where the rental agency has a car with a small bumper or body damage and charges each customer for repair, and then does not make the repair. Rinse and repeat with the next rental.
Yes, the odometer reading was correct and we did not take our insurance. The only thing I can think is the pictures are time stamped almost 5 hours after we dropped the keys off but don’t think that will get the fee dropped. I thought I’d try here for any advice as we only had the car for a maximum of 3 hours and made no stops between pick up and return but I think we will have to pay it and learn to always inspect the car thoroughly in the future! Thanks for your response :)