Avis insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 9, 2018
When I picked up my rental car at Des Moines Airport on 9/12/18, I clearly told the clerk NO to any insurance options. I do not need rental car insurance as I am covered both by my auto insurance and my Visa card. I was handed a contract which I assumed followed my instructions and I initialed and signed where the clerk pointed. She gave no other instructions. It wasn't until I returned from my trip and looked at my visa charges that I saw I was charged approximately 500.00 for all 3 insurance options which I had refused. I have tried to reach the Sterling, the manager, leaving several voicemails, to no avail.

Why would I want insurance which I do not need? Why would the clerk do that? Do your clerks get a bonus if they "sell" insurance to car renters? Did she take advantage of an elderly woman traveling alone?

I would like a credit to my Visa card for the amount added to my rental contract #59xxxxxxx for the 3 insurance options which I refused.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately - you assumed - and didn't read. If you did not check the contract before you signed it, you are likely on the hook for it because you signed for it. Did they have the box checked off for the insurance and you didn't notice it? This is a tactic that these companies pull and you must read the entire contract before signing anything. Once you walk away with that signed contract - you lose the ability to dispute it.

We have company contacts on top of our page. Read the main page under the contact lists on how to write to the company. Tell them what happened and ask them to remove the insurance. Start with customer service, give them a week to reply. If they don't, or say no - write to the first executive. Continue weekly until you get to the CEO.

You should report this location to them because if they are doing business this way to boost their insurance sales - Corporate needs to stop it.

Let us know how you make out.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I agree with Neil, use the contacts and learn the lesson to double check everything you ever sign before signing. Nevertheless this is awful behavior by the rental company. Please let us know what happens.

Sep 19, 2015
I would consider writing but bear in mind that you did not notice the charge on the contract. Not an Avis renter — does Avis give a receipt with charges upon return of the car?

I know with others I get something that says returned X miles charge $xxx

Problem is that verbally refusing is one thing but signing is another..