Avis Fraudulent Car Rental Damage Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 28, 2019
Hello Friends,
4 weeks after renting and returning a car from Avis I received a letter in the mail from Sedgwick whom claims to provide administration services for Avis. Their claim is that I damaged their vehicle which is completely false. After searching online for help with these matters I discovered this forum. I will be posting my responses and communications with Avis with the hopes of having some guidance on whether I am disputing this claim in the correct manner.

Below is the letter I received in the mail on May 28, 2019.

May 22, 2019

Daniel Hernandez
XXXX XXXXX ST
XXXXXXX, TX XXXXX

Re: Rental Agreement : XXXXXXXXXX
Our Claim No. : XXXXXXXXXX

Dear Daniel Hernandez:

Sedgwick provides claims administration services for Avis. Our Investigation has concluded that the vehicle you rented from Avis at PEARLAND SILVERLAKE SHOP CTR 10228 WEST BROADWAY, SUITE 120 SILVERLAKE SHOPPING CENTER PEARLAND TX 77584 was damaged while in your possession. Per your rental contract, you are responsible for the costs associated with the damage regardless of fault.

The Amount for which you are responsible is calculated as follows:

Vehicle Damage : $1,915.36
Loss of Use : $89.15
Administration Fee : $150
Storage & Towing &/or Other Fees : $0.00
Diminishment of Value : $191.54
Total Claim Amount Due : $2,346.05

Your personal auto insurance policy may provide coverage for the loss and pay the claim for you. In addition, if you used a credit card that provides rental car coverage, they may also pay all or part of the claim. Please report this claim to your insurance and/or credit card company as soon as possible in order to expedite payment.

After the claim is reported, please complete and return page 2 of this letter to the address below, via email to
[email protected], or fax #501-251-2755.

If you would like to pay by credit card or discuss this claim, please contact me at the number below. Otherwise please make your check payable to Avis. Please be sure to write the claim number on the memo line of your check.

Send your payment and correspondence to:
Sedgwick Claims Mgmt Services – ABG Recovery US
Attention: Claim # XXXXXXXXXX
P.O. Box 932906
Cleveland OH 44193
Sincerely,
FASTTRACK FASTTRACK
Recovery Claims Examiner
844-859-7291
501-251-2755 fax#

After reading this I found this forum and followed your instructions to email Avis first. This is what I sent to Avis customer service email as found in the contacts on this website:

To: [email protected]
Subject: [External] Vehicle Damage Dispute. Rental Agreement Number: XXXXXXXXXX
Date: May 28, 2019 5:25:17 PM PDT

Daniel Martinez Hernandez

Address:
XXXXX XXXXX St.
XXXXX, TX XXXXX

Phone Number
XXXXXXXXXX

e-mail address:
XXXXXXXXXX

Please contact me via e-mail

Rental Agreement Number:
XXXXXXXXXX

Rental Pickup Location:
10228 West Broadway, Suite 120
Pearland, TX 77584

Rental Pick Up Date:
April 28, 2019 @ 11:38 AM

Drop Off Date:
April 30, 2019

Dear Avis,

I have received a letter in the mail today on May 28, 2019 regarding my
recent rental from your Avis Rental Pearland location, located at 10228
West Broadway, Suite 120, Pearland, TX 77584, on April 28, 2019 – April
30, 2019. The letter states there was damage to the vehicle.
I returned the vehicle with no damage inside or out, and the
attendant whom I returned the car to did not note any damage on my
return paperwork.
Please be advised that during the entire rental period no damage was
done to the car, nor was any damage brought to our attention by this
attendant at the time of return or at any point subsequent to the return
prior to the enclosed letter. I will be happy to review this matter
further if you can produce the following:

- A copy of the original agreement and the receipt given to me
when I returned the car.
- Time stamped and dated pictures of the damage.
- A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the
car when the damage was noted.
- A copy of the incident report.
- If the car was repaired, a copy of the receipt showing the car
was repaired and the cost that was paid for the repair.
- A copy of the license plate number on the car to ensure it is
the same car that I rented.

Please send copies of these documents to my personal e-mail @
XXXXXXXXXX

As a loyal customer of Avis, I have not used another rental company in
many years and I wish to continue being a loyal customer. I hope for a
speedy resolution regarding this matter and am available to further
discuss through email, which is: XXXXXXXXXX
Please contact me as soon as possible.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Daniel Hernandez

This was their response:

Avis Customer Service <[email protected]>
1:01 PM (4 hours ago)
to me

5/29/2019

Dear Daniel Hernandez,

Thank you for contacting Avis Customer Care.

I apologize for any inconvenience, however, your email's
questions/comments section was unclear and I am not certain of the
purpose for the email. Please respond with the details of how we may
assist you. If this is regarding your reservation or rental agreement,
please ensure those numbers are included.

Thanks for choosing Avis, we appreciate your business and hope you have
a great day.

Kind regards,

John Rivers
Avis Customer Care

So, I rewrote my email to make it more clear as to why I am writing to them and what resolution I am seeking. This was my reply:

My Address:
XXXX XXXX St.
XXXX, TX XXXXX

My Phone Number
XXXXXXXXXX

My e-mail address
XXXXXXXXXX

Avis Car Rental Information

Rental Agreement Number:
XXXXXXXXXX

Reservation Number:
XXXXXXXXXX

Avis Car Number:
XXXXXXX

Vehicle License Plate Number:
Texas, XXXXXXX

Rental Pickup Location:
Pearland, TX 77584
Phone Number: (713) 436-6821

Name of Avis Employee whom rented the car to me: Michael

Name of Avis Employee whom checked the car rental back in: Regina

Rental Pick Up Date:

Odometer Out: 36,143 Miles

Drop Off Date:
April 30, 2019 @ 3:05 PM

Odometer In: 36,833

Dear Avis,

The purpose of this e-mail is to dispute the claim that I Daniel Hernandez, damaged your (Avis Rental) car rental. If there is any confusion about any part of this e-mail please tell me specifically which exact part of my e-mail isn’t clear. I am seeking for you (Avis) to drop this claim pursued by your affiliate (Sedgwick Claims Management Services).
I received a letter in the mail on May 28, 2019 regarding my recent rental from your Avis Rental Pearland location, located at 10228 West Broadway, Suite 120, Pearland, TX 77584, on April 28, 2019 – April 30, 2019. The letter states there was damage to the vehicle.
The letter is from “Sedgwick Claims Management Services” with the Avis logo printed on the first page. Your affiliate claims that per rental agreement: “XXXXX”, Claim Number: “XXXXX”, that I am responsible for the following charges:

I returned the vehicle with no damage inside or out, and the attendant whom I returned the car to did not note any damage on my return paperwork.
Please be advised that during the entire rental period no damage was done to the car, nor was any damage brought to our attention by this attendant at the time of return or at any point subsequent to the return prior to the enclosed letter. I will be happy to review this matter further if you can produce the following:

• A copy of the original agreement and the receipt given to me when I returned the car.
  • Time stamped and dated pictures of the damage.
  • A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the car when the damage was noted.
  • A copy of the incident report.
  • If the car was repaired, a copy of the receipt showing the car was repaired and the cost that was paid for the repair.
  • A copy of the license plate number on the car to ensure it is the same car that I rented.

• Please send copies of these documents to my personal e-mail @ XXXXXXXXXX

• As a loyal customer of Avis, I have not used another rental company in many year’s and I wish to continue being a loyal customer. I hope for a speedy resolution regarding this matter and am available to further discuss through email, which is: XXXXXXXXXX
  • Please contact me as soon as possible.
  • Again, I am writing this e-mail to have this claim dropped by Avis and any of its affiliates (Sedgewick Claims Management Services).
  • Thank you.

• Sincerely,
  • Daniel Hernandez

Now I am just waiting on their next response. Any advice on what I’m doing right or wrong or what I should do next is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

May 28, 2019
Are you dealing with the local Avis office or Corporate? We tell you to go to the corporate offices, not the local.
I rented from a local Avis, I received the letter from Sedgewick, and I emailed Avis customer service with the email provided through Elliot Advocacy Company Contacts page "[email protected]". Sorry if I'm providing information that may not be useful, I don't know if the email provided through this website is local of corporate, so I just included everything I did.

Sep 19, 2015
Emphasize that no damage was noted when the car was returned and checked by an Avis Employee.

I think you have a strong defense because their own people did not notice any damage upon return.

May 28, 2019
After waiting 8 business days, I have yet to receive a reply from an e-mail I sent to the first Avis executive e-mail on the list. Today I have just written and sent an e-mail to the second executive on the list "[email protected]", I will wait another week and keep everyone updated if anything of note happens.

Jun 10, 2019
Hi guys, we got a similar letter.... however I believe the one I got is a group of scammers posing to be Sedgwick, and at first look seems legit, but there are some red flags that I've noticed: The Avis and Sedgwick logos are blurred and seem to have been copy/pasted from a search engine, the listed phone number, fax number, and p.o. box do not match any contact info on Sedgwick's website nor through any searches online and software I have. I did call the 844 number on the letter to call their bluff that they are a scam posing as Sedgwick/Avis. Will update.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Hi guys, we got a similar letter.... however I believe the one I got is a group of scammers posing to be Sedgwick, and at first look seems legit, but there are some red flags that I've noticed: The Avis and Sedgwick logos are blurred and seem to have been copy/pasted from a search engine, the listed phone number, fax number, and p.o. box do not match any contact info on Sedgwick's website nor through any searches online and software I have. I did call the 844 number on the letter to call their bluff that they are a scam posing as Sedgwick/Avis. Will update.
You know, I thought of scam when I read the first post, as the breakdown of the fees just seems ‘odd’ to me.

May 28, 2019
You know, I thought of scam when I read the first post, as the breakdown of the fees just seems ‘odd’ to me.
Wow, I never even considered that this might be fake. My letter also has a blurry Avis, and sedgwick logo. Just like your letter, the address in the letter does not match the one on sedgwick's main website. Has anyone else ever mentioned receiving letters from scammers posing as rental and insurance companies?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Wow, I never even considered that this might be fake. My letter also has a blurry Avis, and sedgwick logo. Just like your letter, the address in the letter does not match the one on sedgwick's main website. Has anyone else ever mentioned receiving letters from scammers posing as rental and insurance companies?
Sedgwick is a very big company. The office that sent the letter is specifically for Avis/Budget Group (ABG Recovery US). You should confirm that the letter is genuine but it probably is an actual Avis/Budget claim.
You should still refuse to pay if the car was signed off on by the agent when you returned it.

May 28, 2019
Have you used the post we have about fighting fraudulent claims and written to the Avis Executives?
Yes sir, I’ve emailed Avis customer service email address, the first executive on the list, waited 8 business days and didn’t receive a response. I emailed the second executive on the list this past Sunday, if I get no response after a week, I’m going to move on to the final email provided which is the CEO. After this I don’t know what else to do.

May 28, 2019
Are you adding any attachments when you email? If you are it’s probably sending the emails to spam.
No attachments, just the standard template asking for various forms of proof of the damage, and providing as much information as I possibly can regarding the rental, including the agents whom rented the car to me and checked it back in. I haven’t gotten any response from the two executives I have written to, the last email being send this past sunday. The very first email I wrote was to Avis Customer service in which they replied the basic response stating that Sedgwick is an authorized agent and to follow the instructions in the letter sent to me.

May 28, 2019
You are using their yr plate or our email addresses without using a template? You should be contacting them outside of their web form.
I’ve been emailing them from my personal email to the contacts provided through elliot advocacy’s Avis contacts list. First customer service, then the first executive, and now the second executive. Customer service responded everytime telling me to deal with sedgwick, the executives never responded. The only executive I have yet to email is the ceo. Sedgwick called from the ohio number on their letter but I didn’t answer because I wanted to keep a record of all communications through email. I used the template provided provided by this website and included all of the information about my rental. This is what I send.

My Address:
XXXX XXXX St.
XXXX, TX XXXXX

My Phone Number
XXXXXXXXXX

My e-mail address
XXXXXXXXXX

Avis Car Rental Information

Rental Agreement Number:
XXXXXXXXXX

Reservation Number:
XXXXXXXXXX

Avis Car Number:
XXXXXXX

Vehicle License Plate Number:
Texas, XXXXXXX

Rental Pickup Location:
Pearland, TX 77584
Phone Number: (713) 436-6821

Name of Avis Employee whom rented the car to me: Michael

Name of Avis Employee whom checked the car rental back in: Regina

Rental Pick Up Date:

Odometer Out: 36,143 Miles

Drop Off Date:
April 30, 2019 @ 3:05 PM

Odometer In: 36,833

Dear Avis,

The purpose of this e-mail is to dispute the claim that I Daniel Hernandez, damaged your (Avis Rental) car rental. If there is any confusion about any part of this e-mail please tell me specifically which exact part of my e-mail isn’t clear so that I may further assist. I am seeking for you (Avis) to drop this claim pursued by your affiliate (Sedgwick Claims Management Services).
I received a letter in the mail on May 28, 2019 regarding my recent rental from your Avis Rental Pearland location, located at 10228 West Broadway, Suite 120, Pearland, TX 77584, on April 28, 2019 – April 30, 2019. The letter states there was damage to the vehicle.
The letter is from “Sedgwick Claims Management Services” with the Avis logo printed on the first page. Your affiliate claims that per rental agreement: “XXXXX”, Claim Number: “XXXXX”, that I am responsible for the following charges:

I returned the vehicle with no damage inside or out, and the attendant whom I returned the car to did not note any damage on my return paperwork.
Please be advised that during the entire rental period no damage was done to the car, nor was any damage brought to our attention by this attendant at the time of return or at any point subsequent to the return prior to the enclosed letter. I will be happy to review this matter further if you can produce the following:

• A copy of the original agreement and the receipt given to me when I returned the car.
  • Time stamped and dated pictures of the damage.
  • A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the car when the damage was noted.
  • A copy of the incident report.
  • If the car was repaired, a copy of the receipt showing the car was repaired and the cost that was paid for the repair.
  • A copy of the license plate number on the car to ensure it is the same car that I rented.

• Please send copies of these documents to my personal e-mail @ XXXXXXXXXX

• As a loyal customer of Avis, I have not used another rental company in many year’s and I wish to continue being a loyal customer. I hope for a speedy resolution regarding this matter and am available to further discuss through email, which is: XXXXXXXXXX
  • Please contact me as soon as possible.
  • Again, I am writing this e-mail to have this claim dropped by Avis and any of its affiliates (Sedgewick Claims Management Services).
  • Thank you.

• Sincerely,
  • Daniel Hernandez

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you write, list the Executives you have written to and state that none of them have assisted- they keep sending you back to Sedgwick who refuses to provide you with the information you have asked for of proof the damage was caused by you and you cannot pay anything without knowing how they attributed it to you.