Avis Damage Claim: After hours drop-off

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 5, 2018
Hi Everyone,

A couple of months back I had a rental with Avis for a couple of days and I returned the car during the after-hours in Avis parking facility. Two months later I got a bill letter from Avis for glass damage to windshield and my card was charged the bill amount ($250). I am almost 100% sure that there was no such damage with the car and I had checked before leaving.

I called the customer care for further details and they said that the Avis location found windshield damage the next morning when they were checking in. No pictures were taken for proof by them and the only documents they provided were incident report form, bill for damage, and the bill letter.

Customer support says that renter is responsible for car even after dropping the car after-hours at Avis parking facility until it has been checked in by them.
Is that really the case? there is no way to dispute that I had left the car at their location without any damage?
What are my options going forward? I do have CDW from my credit card company and will have to contact them if nothing else works

Looking for some guidance, Thank you very much in advance for your time and consideration

Sep 19, 2015
Sadly that it is the case that the car rental companies hold the renter responsible until the check in the next morning --the after hours rental drop offs can be really dangerous, as something could happen.

From AVIS

The driver is responsible for damage and/or theft, parking costs and any associated fines until a maximum of four hours after the rental location opens again.

I do not think I will ever do an after hours drop off because of issues like yours.

Did you take any photos of the car when dropping it off? That may not have even helped as the light can be so poor.

You should ask for proof and repair invoice ---

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

How long ago was this? You may need to contact the credit card soon as they have time limitations on when a claim can be filed.

Oct 5, 2018
Thank you Christina and Neil for your replies.

I will certainly check out the thread and give it a try
Did not take any pictures during pick-up and drop-off (learned my mistake!). I did take a few pictures with the car during the trip and there was nothing visible like windshield damage so I think it may have happened overnight in their parking area..

I have setup a claim yesterday and provided relevant documents and will wait for their response. It is just disappointing to know that even after returning the car in Avis parking area, we are still not secure till they check-in (This rental location was an airport location at San Francisco btw).
I also find it unusual that no pictures of damage were taken by them, no CCTV footage to show if someone damaged it, or any other evidence besides the incident report, letter and repair receipt they provided.

I will update the thread accordingly from their next responses

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You could win the claim following our thread. We have had many of these cases and most have been stopped using our advices. Quite often the companies can’t prove the damage and drop the cases after you go to the corporate executives. I’m hopeful this will happen to you too.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you Christina and Neil for your replies.

I will certainly check out the thread and give it a try
Did not take any pictures during pick-up and drop-off (learned my mistake!). I did take a few pictures with the car during the trip and there was nothing visible like windshield damage so I think it may have happened overnight in their parking area..

I have setup a claim yesterday and provided relevant documents and will wait for their response. It is just disappointing to know that even after returning the car in Avis parking area, we are still not secure till they check-in (This rental location was an airport location at San Francisco btw).
I also find it unusual that no pictures of damage were taken by them, no CCTV footage to show if someone damaged it, or any other evidence besides the incident report, letter and repair receipt they provided.

I will update the thread accordingly from their next responses
The concern over damage with an after hours drop off is one to take seriously -- think of places where there can be hail damage etc after hours in an open lot.

I would not focus on the lack of CC tv. It is not feasible to have multiple view points, cameras and full cctv camera coverage. I think about how hard it was to get security cameras in the right position for a house, and there are still blind spots. I have not rented a car at SF airport but if the lot is as big as the LAX airport for another company -- that was massive.

There should be photos of the damage; how detailed was the repair bill? Was it a minor chip or something more substantial.

But do alert the credit card company of the claim -- because there is often a requirement that the claim has to be submitted in X days. If the claim is dropped, great, if not you can file.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I understand the rules about renter responsibility, darius, but Avis has given you no proof of the damage. Forking over money without proof of damage is a non-starter. Use our guidance, be very polite and persistent and you'll probably win this.