Avis Charge for Deployed Air Bag

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 17, 2019
Hi,

I rented a car about a month ago from Avis, and I few days into the rental I drove over a deep pothole I didn’t see, and the airbag deployed. Besides the deployed air bag there was nothing wrong with the car and still driveable. I called Avis and they advised me to return the car and have them give me a new one. While switching cars I filled out a damage form. I should’ve taken pictures of the car before leaving but didn’t. The only coverage I got was through Priceline (Allianz). I just received a letter from Sedgwick reporting that I owe $10319.20 (for loss of use, admin fee, storage & towing, and sale amount). While I kind of expected to be hit with a bill I’m still taken aback. Like I said, the only thing that happened was the air bag deploying, otherwise no damage to the car. Any advice on whether I should try to dispute this? I know my lack of photo evidence and coverage doesn’t help but it still seems like a lot to be charged. I wanted to do some research before contacting Avis. First time posting here, any advice will help! Thanks.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you hit a pothole hard enough to deploy the airbags, I would assume there was undercarriage damage that you may not have seen and often cars are considered totaled if the front end damage and the cost of the airbags exceeds the value of the car. This isn’t as simple as just airbags being deployed.

You need to file a claim with the insurance you got from Priceline if you didn’t buy insurance with a CDW waiver from the car rental company. If you didn’t buy insurance with CDW coverage, you need to file a claim with your own car insurance. If you have no insurance that covers this, you will probably need to contact an attorney because you are responsible for the car.

Aug 29, 2018
In what city did this happen? In some cities, if they have not filled a pot hole that has been reported to them, the city has some liability.