Avis Car Rental Problem

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 20, 2019
I rented a car from Avis in Colorado and returned it in Minnesota. Here are the details:
Reference Avis reservation number xxxxxxxUS-3, rental agreement # Uxxxxxxx dated August 22, 2019. I picked up the Buick Enclave rental car at Lakewood Co at 3:02 pm on August 22, 2019. I did the walk around damage inspection with the rental agent. All existing damage was noted on the vehicle inspection sheet. Luckily, I keep copies of all my transactions while travelling. When I turned the car in on August 24, 2019 at the Hopkins MN location, no mention was made of any damage to the vehicle.

On September 19, 2019 I received a statement form the Sedgewick Company (claim # ) claiming that the rental car was damaged while in my possession. The letter from Sedgewick (the company Avis uses to collect damages) said I was responsible for $2097.96 in damages and loss of use for the vehicle. The letter stated that I could either pay by credit card or submit the claim to my insurance company. I did neither. I contacted Sedgewick and after a few phone calls, some headaches and loss of time on my part. The claim was settled in my favor at no cost to me – a month later.

Apparently, Sedgewick does not have access to the pre-rental damage report. I submitted a copy of the pre-existing damage on the vehicle to Sedgewick. On October 15, 2019, nearly a month after receiving the initial letter from Sedgewick I received an email from them that upon further review, the claim against me had been closed.

This leads me to believe that Avis has a very shoddy method of treating their customers. They should have some type of mechanism in place to prevent this type of injustice from happening to anyone. It is beyond belief that I should have to go through a month of headaches because Avis is not smart enough or conscientious enough to review all damage claims prior to submission to a claims agency.

I used Avis for the return trip to Minnesota because Hertz wanted too much for the same trip. Had I not been smart enough to keep my receipts and been a fool, Avis would have made an extra $2097.96 off of either myself or my insurance company.
I now have an extra $2097.96 to spend on Hertz rental cars in the future.
Edited by moderator to remove claims numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I rented a car from Avis in Colorado and returned it in Minnesota. Here are the details:
Reference Avis reservation number xxxxxxxUS-3, rental agreement # Uxxxxxxx dated August 22, 2019. I picked up the Buick Enclave rental car at Lakewood Co at 3:02 pm on August 22, 2019. I did the walk around damage inspection with the rental agent. All existing damage was noted on the vehicle inspection sheet. Luckily, I keep copies of all my transactions while travelling. When I turned the car in on August 24, 2019 at the Hopkins MN location, no mention was made of any damage to the vehicle.

On September 19, 2019 I received a statement form the Sedgewick Company (claim # ) claiming that the rental car was damaged while in my possession. The letter from Sedgewick (the company Avis uses to collect damages) said I was responsible for $2097.96 in damages and loss of use for the vehicle. The letter stated that I could either pay by credit card or submit the claim to my insurance company. I did neither. I contacted Sedgewick and after a few phone calls, some headaches and loss of time on my part. The claim was settled in my favor at no cost to me – a month later.

Apparently, Sedgewick does not have access to the pre-rental damage report. I submitted a copy of the pre-existing damage on the vehicle to Sedgewick. On October 15, 2019, nearly a month after receiving the initial letter from Sedgewick I received an email from them that upon further review, the claim against me had been closed.

This leads me to believe that Avis has a very shoddy method of treating their customers. They should have some type of mechanism in place to prevent this type of injustice from happening to anyone. It is beyond belief that I should have to go through a month of headaches because Avis is not smart enough or conscientious enough to review all damage claims prior to submission to a claims agency.

I used Avis for the return trip to Minnesota because Hertz wanted too much for the same trip. Had I not been smart enough to keep my receipts and been a fool, Avis would have made an extra $2097.96 off of either myself or my insurance company.
Alas, they're all alike. Rental car companies have figured out how to increase their bottom line substantially. Nobody knows who is actually paying these outrageous damage claims, but someone must be ... it's been going on for several years. All we travellers can do is what you did ... inspections, receipts, anything to do with the rental ... keep it all for a year. Using a strong credit card seems to help; the rental companies don't want to argue with Chase or AmEx it seems ... especially when they know they'll lose. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

Apr 6, 2017
The answer is to STOP renting cars -- using UBER or LYFT is generally less expensive. That doesnt apply to above rental but if we all stop the in-city business rentals the rental companies might get the message that they are annoying people with their current business model. I haven't rented a car in years now for business. And there are a lot of public transportation options--for example in the SF Bay Area there is Caltrain/BART combo that can be quicker due to the bad traffic...take Caltrain and then UBER etc

And if I do rent a car I video the entire encounter from when I walk in the door to the walk around to leaving--I video even the top of the car and wheels etc

Sep 19, 2015
The answer is to STOP renting cars -- using UBER or LYFT is generally less expensive. That doesnt apply to above rental but if we all stop the in-city business rentals the rental companies might get the message that they are annoying people with their current business model. I haven't rented a car in years now for business. And there are a lot of public transportation options--for example in the SF Bay Area there is Caltrain/BART combo that can be quicker due to the bad traffic...take Caltrain and then UBER etc

And if I do rent a car I video the entire encounter from when I walk in the door to the walk around to leaving--I video even the top of the car and wheels etc

SteveG saying only to use Uber or Lyft is incredibly unrealistic. If one is traveling to a more suburban area there are often not ride shares available. And surge pricing, drivers canceling —. In major cities I have had drivers cancel — and I am stuck waiting; one could miss a flight waiting for Uber. One cannot reserve an early morning car with ride sharing — sure send a request but no guarantee.

And look how Uber stock went post-IPO ..

Sep 19, 2015

I put more blame on Sedgewick. They are the claims administrators and they are the professionals and should be doing their homework and should get that info. I think they are hoping that people will not be as diligent as you because their client is the car rental and I suspect they have incentive pay to collect more.

Look at the company’s website and see how they advertise themselves. And look at the majority owners of the company— venture capitalists— one group bought majority interest for 2.4 billion in 2014 and sold it for 6.7 billion in 2018–. The value more than doubled in 4 years. How did that value increase so much? I leave everyone to draw their own conclusions..I think the company does not want to ask for the info as it gets in the way of the profits.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sedgewick gets hired by the car rental companies to collect these debts. These cases are sent to Sedgewick by the car rental companies- Sedgewick doesn’t get laud unless they collect. That’s why they don’t care if it’s legitimate or not.

May 1, 2018

Definitely a good suggestion but it only works when flying into and staying in large cities. Not very useful otherwise.

Sep 20, 2015
Perhaps one way of dealing with this is we should all band together and as soon as we receive a demand letter from Sedgewick, do not deal with them at all. Go immediately to the execs and do it the 'Chris' way. Maybe they'll get the message...

Aug 29, 2018
Perhaps one way of dealing with this is we should all band together and as soon as we receive a demand letter from Sedgewick, do not deal with them at all. Go immediately to the execs and do it the 'Chris' way. Maybe they'll get the message...
I think most of us here would (or admit they did the damage, if they did.) But we re a very small percentage of the public, so the rental companies could easily correct the error while ripping off the unknowing.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Alas, nobody is going to stop renting cars. I'll bet many of us already use public transport as often as feasible. Using uber or lyft might be good for some. For others, independence is much more important. If I need to be at horse show job at 7am on a Sunday, no way am I going to dork around with one of those drivers. We get posts from them occasionally and those are not the kind of people I want to rely on. The ticket to beating the quaisi-damage baloney is to fight back every single time. Pretty soon the car rental guys might stop trying to cheat us. Personally, I've never had an issue; I rent vehicles many times every year. There must be some kind of "signal" given so the rental company comes after people with fake damage ... it's probably a combination of factors. For those of us over 45, it's sad to see the proliferation of scams almost everywhere you look. It certainly makes me grateful for the first part of my life when I worried very little about being cheated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Uber is not practical if you need a car to travel back and forth in a destination. It’s fine for going from and airport to a hotel and back but people aren’t renting cars to simply go to a hotel. They are actually driving around while they have the car.

Apr 6, 2017
sometimes you will need to rent a car...yes. Again, video the entire rental staring in the office to the car and during the entire return.