Auto

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 4, 2019
On October 10, 2018, my 2013 VW Jetta had an engine fire, the vehicle was totaled and the insurance company paid capitol one auto $8117.56. My payments to date are $6839.86. Additional monies sent by my warranty and NYS Gap insurance are $1800. A total of $ 16,756 has been paid to Capitol auto finance. According to the adjuster at Progressive Insurance, the official cause was fire in the intake which caused damage to the intake manifold, causing engine fire and total loss. I have written to Volkswagen of North America requesting some form of reimbursement and they have not bothered to respond. I had a $1800 extended warranty that I purchased and believe I should be entitled for something. My Insurance company stated the issue is design related and not a drivability issue. They further state that if the vehicle was 3 years or newer they would pursue this against VW. The vehicle is a 2013 thus does not qualify.

I consulted a VW mechanic and he stated that sometimes the timing chain/timing belt either broke or the chain tensioner failed causing the engine to go out of timing. When this occurs, the piston can hit the out of timed valves causing them to bend. When starting the engine, gasoline was being injected into the engine. When the piston hit the valve and the spark plug sparked, the gas ignited causing the intake manifold to go on fire. While corporations seldom accept responsibility for their actions to avoid an opening of mass litigation, it seems quite clear VW design is the culprit and I hope they do the honorable thing by reimbursing me monies or providing another vehicle. I have several disabilities and not having a vehicle has placed additional burdens upon me. Thank you for your help.

Sep 19, 2015
On October 10, 2018, my 2013 VW Jetta had an engine fire, the vehicle was totaled and the insurance company paid capitol one auto $8117.56. My payments to date are $6839.86. Additional monies sent by my warranty and NYS Gap insurance are $1800. A total of $ 16,756 has been paid to Capitol auto finance. According to the adjuster at Progressive Insurance, the official cause was fire in the intake which caused damage to the intake manifold, causing engine fire and total loss. I have written to Volkswagen of North America requesting some form of reimbursement and they have not bothered to respond. I had a $1800 extended warranty that I purchased and believe I should be entitled for something. My Insurance company stated the issue is design related and not a drivability issue. They further state that if the vehicle was 3 years or newer they would pursue this against VW. The vehicle is a 2013 thus does not qualify.

I consulted a VW mechanic and he stated that sometimes the timing chain/timing belt either broke or the chain tensioner failed causing the engine to go out of timing. When this occurs, the piston can hit the out of timed valves causing them to bend. When starting the engine, gasoline was being injected into the engine. When the piston hit the valve and the spark plug sparked, the gas ignited causing the intake manifold to go on fire. While corporations seldom accept responsibility for their actions to avoid an opening of mass litigation, it seems quite clear VW design is the culprit and I hope they do the honorable thing by reimbursing me monies or providing another vehicle. I have several disabilities and not having a vehicle has placed additional burdens upon me. Thank you for your help.
What a fright and glad no one was injured.

Have you searched to see if this is a common problem?

What money are you out of pocket aside from the extended warranty?

Has the timing belt ever been replaced? Inspected?
What is the design flaw? If there is a design flaw would there be many more reports?

What did you ask for? VW is not going to give you a new car. If they offered you a discount would you want another VW?

Jan 4, 2019
What a fright and glad no one was injured.

Have you searched to see if this is a common problem?

What money are you out of pocket aside from the extended warranty?

Has the timing belt ever been replaced? Inspected?
What is the design flaw? If there is a design flaw would there be many more reports?

What did you ask for? VW is not going to give you a new car. If they offered you a discount would you want another VW?
I asked for reimbursement of my out of pocket loss of monies which is $6,839.86 to date. The timing belt has never been replaced and apparently according to the experts, this issue only becomes know upon the manifestation of an engine fire, essentially after the fact. I would take another VW, not looking for new, just an honest remedy for my loss of vehicle. Thank you for your response.

Jan 4, 2019
Do you have any proof that the possible timing belt problem was present in your car?
The proof was provided after the fact. First by an Insurance adjuster who determined the cause of the engine fire. He is a professional and an expert employed by Progressive Insurance. The second expert is a VW mechanic for 25 years and when I mentioned the insurance adjusters assessment, he offered a more in depth likely cause that led to the fire. Thank You.

Dec 19, 2014
A little bit of internet sleuthing reveals this

"Recall Number
14E007000
Recall Date
03/07/2014
Component
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Summary
The Gates Corporation (Gates) is recalling certain aftermarket Tru-Flow Water Pumps, part number TFW 41127, sold at certain NAPA Auto Parts and/or installed by automotive service technicians after November 1, 2013 (and manufactured August 2013 through October 2013) that have a black-colored pulley/sprocket or do not have 'US9377' stamped on the water pump housing. These service replacement parts were sold for use in model year 1999-2005 Audi A4, 2000-2006 Audi TT, 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle, 1999-2006 Golf, 1999-2008 and 2011-2013 Volkswagen Jetta, and 2000-2005 Volkswagen Passat. In the affected water pumps, the pulley or sprocket that turns the timing belt may develop microfractures causing the timing belt to fail.

Consequence
A failure of the timing belt may cause the engine to shut down, potentially increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
What Owners Should Do
Gates will notify owners, and dealers will replace the water pump, free of charge. The recall began during May 2014. Owners may contact The Gates Corporation at 1-303-744-1911."

Was your vehicle part of a recall? If so, this recall was issued in 2014 (4 years ago).

Unfortunately, your case may need an attorneys

Sep 19, 2015
A little bit of internet sleuthing reveals this

"Recall Number
14E007000
Recall Date
03/07/2014
Component
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Summary
The Gates Corporation (Gates) is recalling certain aftermarket Tru-Flow Water Pumps, part number TFW 41127, sold at certain NAPA Auto Parts and/or installed by automotive service technicians after November 1, 2013 (and manufactured August 2013 through October 2013) that have a black-colored pulley/sprocket or do not have 'US9377' stamped on the water pump housing. These service replacement parts were sold for use in model year 1999-2005 Audi A4, 2000-2006 Audi TT, 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle, 1999-2006 Golf, 1999-2008 and 2011-2013 Volkswagen Jetta, and 2000-2005 Volkswagen Passat. In the affected water pumps, the pulley or sprocket that turns the timing belt may develop microfractures causing the timing belt to fail.

Consequence
A failure of the timing belt may cause the engine to shut down, potentially increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
What Owners Should Do
Gates will notify owners, and dealers will replace the water pump, free of charge. The recall began during May 2014. Owners may contact The Gates Corporation at 1-303-744-1911."

Was your vehicle part of a recall? If so, this recall was issued in 2014 (4 years ago).

Unfortunately, your case may need an attorneys
The OP had a model year 2013 — not covered by the recall.

Jan 4, 2019
Thanks for the info. I did not own the vehicle in 2014 (purchased in 2016), so I wouldn't have received any recall notice issued. I am hoping to avoid litigation if VW does the right thing but I will pursue the protection of my rights quite vigorously. Thank you again for your help.

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks for the info. I did not own the vehicle in 2014 (purchased in 2016), so I wouldn't have received any recall notice issued. I am hoping to avoid litigation if VW does the right thing but I will pursue the protection of my rights quite vigorously. Thank you again for your help.
You said your model year was 2013 — 2013 models did not have the faulty part so the recall does not apply to you

Dec 11, 2016
This is an awful situation, and I'm sorry you're going through this. I hate to say this, but if I am understanding your post correctly, you are not owed anything. At the time of loss, your vehicle was worth less than the money still owed. Fortunately for you, the warranty and gap insurance covered what the insurance company did not, since insurance would only cover the value of the vehicle. Also keep in mind, if you were given any sort of compensation for the ruined vehicle, the insurance company would likely need to receive those monies first, since they are the ones paying out 8 grand and not you. This doesn't make the situation any less awful, and I'd be spitting mad about it myself.

Did I understand correctly that a 2013 vehicle, after paying nearly 7 grand over time, was still worth $1800 less than the outstanding loan? Yegads.

Jul 13, 2016
The proof was provided after the fact. First by an Insurance adjuster who determined the cause of the engine fire. He is a professional and an expert employed by Progressive Insurance. The second expert is a VW mechanic for 25 years and when I mentioned the insurance adjusters assessment, he offered a more in depth likely cause that led to the fire. Thank You.
But the mechanic is speculating as to the likely cause. You are going to need proof it was the cause, if you are going to try to get anything from VW.

Sep 19, 2015
ok I had to reread the recall — it is for an AFTERMARKET PUMP manufactured by the Gates Corporation and not by VW and Gates issued the recall.

Did the OP have an aftermarket Gates Pump?

This will not help in fighting VW

Dec 19, 2014
The OP had a model year 2013 — not covered by the recall.
Unless I am misreading the recall notice:

These service replacement parts were sold for use in model year 1999-2005 Audi A4, 2000-2006 Audi TT, 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle, 1999-2006 Golf, 1999-2008 and 2011-2013 Volkswagen Jetta, and 2000-2005 Volkswagen Passat. In the affected water pumps, the pulley or sprocket that turns the timing belt may develop microfractures causing the timing belt to fail.

The OP had a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta, which is listed in the recall. Whether the OP's model was recalled, that I don't know

Jan 4, 2019
I disagree, I believe I am owed what I paid to date. The car fire is a design issue and VW should make it right. They will never acknowledge their fault, as they have engaged in deceptive tactics (Caught and penalized ) in the past. Thank you for your response.

Dec 19, 2014
ok I had to reread the recall — it is for an AFTERMARKET PUMP manufactured by the Gates Corporation and not by VW and Gates issued the recall.

Did the OP have an aftermarket Gates Pump?

This will not help in fighting VW
Fair enough.... don't know enough about OPs vehicle

Jan 4, 2019
Unless I am misreading the recall notice:

These service replacement parts were sold for use in model year 1999-2005 Audi A4, 2000-2006 Audi TT, 1998-2005 Volkswagen Beetle, 1999-2006 Golf, 1999-2008 and 2011-2013 Volkswagen Jetta, and 2000-2005 Volkswagen Passat. In the affected water pumps, the pulley or sprocket that turns the timing belt may develop microfractures causing the timing belt to fail.

The OP had a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta, which is listed in the recall. Whether the OP's model was recalled, that I don't know
Thank you for this information and for taking the time to offer assistance.

Sep 19, 2015
I disagree, I believe I am owed what I paid to date. The car fire is a design issue and VW should make it right. They will never acknowledge their fault, as they have engaged in deceptive tactics (Caught and penalized ) in the past. Thank you for your response.
Any engine that is an interference engine can had catastrophic problems if the timing belt break.

If this was a design flaw there would be more 2013 VW fires.

Dec 19, 2014
You may disagree, but the law may not be on your side.
This is why you need an attorney, not a consumer advocate

You will need to prove that this is a design issue, and you are going to have a tall order proving that. Again, a brief internet search does not show any widespread or major problems.

What the insurance company will pay is the market value of your car at the time of the incident. If you owe more than the market value of the car and have gap insurance, the insurance company will pay the gap. But, then you are not entitled to any additional compensation.

Sep 19, 2015
You cannot prove a flaw. You would need an engineer to make that assessment. What if the belt failure was because of lack of maintenance.

This was a 2013 car bought used in 2016. In 2 years $6800 was paid on the loan, ie around $270 month.

Now you want VW to basically pay you for owning the car? Good luck with that, no wonder they are not answering you.

You need to consult an attorney.

Jan 4, 2019
That's an incorrect assumption that I wanna be paid for "Owning" my car. I want to be reimbursed for the loss of my vehicle because of a design flaw. Thank you.