AT&T Direct TV (DVT) Consumer Deceit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 13, 2019
WARNING: DTV contacted me offering me a free upgrade to a DVR/Receiver with HD channels. Oh how nice of DTV! WRONG! Let me clarify, the only DTV channel I receive and pay for from DTV is NFL SUNDAY Ticket. So I don’t receive any other DTV channels at all except for NFL Sunday Ticket and my monthly bill reflects this. My service contract was grandfathered for DTV after AT &T purchased DTV, and this type of contract is no longer available to other DTV customers. Now, in regards to DTV latest free upgrade scam. Right up front I told DTV, I don’t want DTV’s free upgrade if it was going to cost me one cent more per month. DTV emphatically assured me numerous times during our conversation that it would not cost me anymore per month. It was all just another blatant deceptive DTV lie. You see, this was the second time DTV tried to pull this scam on me. The other time was approximately 7 years ago. DTV sent me a supposedly free DVR/Receiver. After removing and replacing my old receiver with the promised free DVR/Receiver, I called DTV to activate the DVR/Receiver. Only then was I informed by DTV that I had to agree to a new service agreement which would substantially increase my monthly bill before DTV would re-activate my service. I told DTV what I was promised but DTV refused to accept any responsibility. In fact, DTV even initially refused to restore my original service contract with my old equipment and instead insisted there was nothing I could do about it. I had to pay what DTV said or have no NFL Sunday Ticket service at all. DTV was going to add the cost of not just NFL Sunday Ticket which is all that I ever agreed to pay for before, but I would have to pay for all the other DTV channels I’d never watch, as I have cable TV and also pay for the DVR/Receiver rental and cost for the HD channels which I never wanted or paid for before. Only after I informed a number of DTV supervisors and manager(s) I was going to report those for false and deceptive advertising did DTV start to be interested. And only when I said I would go public, did they start to listen. I guess using these type of deceptive practices gets DTV customers to increase their monthly payments. A little arm twisting here a little arm twisting there. DTV insisted I could not revert to my old service plan even if I reinstalled my old receiver and returned their supposedly FREE DVR/Receiver. I would have to pay the extra cost per month if I wanted DTV at all. Only after I informed DTV along with a number of DTV supervisors and their manager(s) that I was going to report their apparent unscrupulous predatory behavior to every Consumer Affairs organization I could think of including News Paper, TV Station/networks, Internet Blogs government agencies did DTV management finally back down and permit me to reconnect my old DTV receiver under my old service contract. Now it has happened again! Approximately seven years later, DTV provided me with the same lies and guaranteed me there would be no increase in my monthly bill. So I called DTV at 888-999-4825 to confirm. After receiving approximately 10 minutes of deceptive talk around and avoiding the facts/truth the DTV agent finally confirmed that indeed it would cost me substantially more per month for their supposedly FREE DTV DVR /Receiver upgrade. Since this was the second time DTV has tried to pull this scam on me, I informed the DTV representative I would be reporting these deceptive DTV practices to every Consumer Affair organization I knew and did not appreciate DTV wasting my time through their deceptive lies, AGAIN! In addition I would like to pursue a Class Action Law suit against DTV to stop these deceptive practice and false advertising and to prevent others from having to go through the same stress and mistrust caused by such deceptive practices.
I’d like to request an attorney to join me in this quest for justice?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Oct 13, 2019
Thanks...just trying to see in this forum if others are disgusted as I am with these AT&T DTV predatory practices.
Yes I would like to contact a AT&T representative who would be fair and honest....so far it looks like I've only been able to talk their dishonest predatory sales people.

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks...just trying to see in this forum if others are disgusted as I am with these AT&T DTV predatory practices.
Yes I would like to contact a AT&T representative who would be fair and honest....so far it looks like I've only been able to talk their dishonest predatory sales people.
I do not have DirectTv but I think there are a lot of people abandoning this and the cable companies because of similar issues.

You should write to the execs and do not threaten class action. You may have agreed to binding arbitration.

Perhaps you state attorney general should be notified.

Jan 11, 2019
Odd, I've had DirecTV and At&t for over 20 years and never had them pull anything like this on me. Everything is always explained fully and they even tell me to review my bill when I sign up for special pricing so that I can cancel before the price goes up. I suspect sometimes some people don't always pay attention to what's being said or just misunderstand. Every new service will cost more, otherwise why would they offer it and get people to subscribe? I mean, why offer new technology if they're not going to make money?