Assistance required - Etihad customer experience onboard

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 18, 2018
Hi there,
I was told to post this on the forum so that others will gain valuable information from this as well as myself.

I was flying from Adelaide - Perth - Abu Dhabi onwards to Dublin.

The experience from the start to the end of the flight was a nightmare.

The main issue would be the health and safety issues concerned with my seat. During mid-flight from Abu Dhabi to Dublin it was discovered the foldup table at my seat was broken and completely unattached from the seat in front (took a photo of the said table). I highlighted the issue to the flight crew to which they done nothing at the start. They tried to move my partner and I to another seat however economy was full. They apologised and advised there was nothing more they could do besides moving me away from my partner during eating times temporarily as the plane was already full. This was far from ideal as my partner is a very anxious flyer. When flying with an airline you expect the whole plane to be tested and reviewed from a safety and usability standard prior to commissioning. This was obviously missed.
I requested a copy of the safety report that was carried out pre-flight to confirm the airplane and seats were fit for purpose. I did not feel the standard of the seat was adequate nor safe for personal use. However this was declined.

The problems did not stop there, upon arrival at Dublin Airport it was discovered our baggage had not arrived. We lodged a delayed baggage claim with their helpdesk and obtained a report of the same. No reply as of yet about our baggage claim. (over 2 weeks ago lodged)

I would like a partial refund of my fare to be refunded to me for my partner and I as half of the journey (Abu Dhabi - Dublin) was ruined. Contract law has been broken. I provided payment for a service that was below standard and the airline did not fully deliver across their side of the agreement. Not to mention health and safety concerns with having seats that were not fit for use and the inconvenience of having to move at every meal.

Etihad have come back and only offered me 8000 Virgin Velocity points or 10,000 Etihad miles which you can imagine sounds like a joke.

Any advice appreciated.

Sean

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Dear Sean - most of us here do not consider your experiences to rise to the claim of ‘nightmare.’
A broken tray table does not ‘ruin’ the trip, nor does it break the contract. The airline got you to your destination,which was, of course, the objective.
Delayed baggage is a headache and it’s possible you deserve some compensation, but two weeks is not beyond the pale. Give it a little more time and/or Find the contact’s for the airline and begin to write to them, following the instructions on this website.

Jul 18, 2018
Dear Sean - most of us here do not consider your experiences to rise to the claim of ‘nightmare.’
A broken tray table does not ‘ruin’ the trip, nor does it break the contract. The airline got you to your destination,which was, of course, the objective.
Delayed baggage is a headache and it’s possible you deserve some compensation, but two weeks is not beyond the pale. Give it a little more time and/or Find the contact’s for the airline and begin to write to them, following the instructions on this website.

Thank you for your reply.

A broken tray table may not ruin the flight experience for you but it has for me. It does become a nightmare when you have a boiling cup of coffee on it then moments later it literally all fell apart.

The airline has failed deliver on the service, being one of the top airliners in the world you’d expect to get at least a tray table that works. Yes it got me from point A to point B but at what disadvantage to me? I’ve paid for a service with the expectation of having a seat that is fully functional with a table that should be able to be used, they’ve failed there.

Also just a note it’s been two weeks since I’ve last sent them the follow up email asking about the baggage compo, they have ignored it since I have returned late May.

Regards

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then use our company contacts and write to the first executive we have listed.

The flight crew can’t do anything about a broken tray except move you. They aren’t mechanics. You could have just moved to another seat for your meal and moved back after. I shared my wife’s tray when we had this happen to us.

You can write to the Executives but their offer is fair for what you experienced. When you continue to insist on something you are not due, they stop paying attention to you.

They met their contractual obligation to get you from point A to point B safely. If you can find a provision in their terms and conditions guaranteeing no broken seats, trays, bathrooms - then they broke their contract. I looked at their terms and see nothing like that mentioned.

For an effective letter you need to cite the rule the airline broke and include it in your letter. So find the piece of their terms that state they guarantee everything will be in working order and cite that in your letter as proof.

Use our company contacts and write. If you want more than that you’ll probably have to hire an attorney because a broken tray doesn’t warrant anything close to a refund. Did you burn yourself with the hot coffee? If you didn’t, there are no damages.

Perhaps no one reported the broken tray to the airline. They can’t repair what they don’t know about.

You have a legit complaint about the bags. If you paid for extra for flying the bags you are owed a refund of the bag fees.

The bag issue should be a separate complaint and not included with your complaint about the broken tray. If you have them both on one- this is a perfect example of the company stopping reading what you really need help with.

Christopher just write a blog on how to write an effective letter. This might help:

https://www.elliott.org/how-to/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/

Jul 27, 2016
How much did you pay for the Adelaide-Dublin ticket? How much compensation do you believe you should receive for the broken table?

The baggage issue is an entirely separate issue. It's unclear from your post - have you received your bags? If so, how long was the delay in receiving them? Whether lost or delayed, per the Montreal Convention, you're entitled to up to about US$1,600 in reimbursement. If the bags were just delayed, you're entitled reasonable expenses incurred (i.e. buying clothes, toiletries, etc.) as a result of the bag delay. If the bags were actually lost, then you're entitled to compensation for the value of the goods within the baggage (as well as the luggage itself). Note that, for lost bags, you won't get replacement value, but rather depreciated value, for any lost items.

Jul 18, 2018
How much did you pay for the Adelaide-Dublin ticket? How much compensation do you believe you should receive for the broken table?

The baggage issue is an entirely separate issue. It's unclear from your post - have you received your bags? If so, how long was the delay in receiving them? Whether lost or delayed, per the Montreal Convention, you're entitled to up to about US$1,600 in reimbursement. If the bags were just delayed, you're entitled reasonable expenses incurred (i.e. buying clothes, toiletries, etc.) as a result of the bag delay. If the bags were actually lost, then you're entitled to compensation for the value of the goods within the baggage (as well as the luggage itself). Note that, for lost bags, you won't get replacement value, but rather depreciated value, for any lost items.
In regards to the table anything that actually says “look sorry about this and give a compensation for the issue that happened.

As an example Virgin australia provided me with 20,000 points just because they did not seat myself and my partner together and instead I paid an extra $50 to do so. It’s not in the contract to sit beside eachother but as a gesture of goodwill they done that which was outstanding.

Etihad on the other hand have only offered 8000 points after spending hours on the flight that was not up to standard. Each seat is checked or supposed to be checked (long haul flights) and items fixed/repaired before they fly out. Even the hostesses said so.

In regards to the cost of the flight it was roughly about $1200 each for the trip so I’d value that section of the flight around $500.

I will take the advise and email someone higher up in the business

Regards

EDIT: the bags were delayed but I did end up receiving them. I was only wanting to claim for the necessities I have purchased such as clothes toiletries etc as per the Montreal agreement. Half the battle is getting them to respond lol

Jul 27, 2016
10k Etihad miles is about 1/3 of what you'd need to fly AUH-DUB, so it seems like pretty reasonable compensation to me, especially since they did provide you with another seat. Definitely use our company contacts and work your way up the chain, though.

Sep 19, 2015
Where the bags delayed on your flight home or on the outbound?

As for the tray table not working it is not a safety violation as long as the tray table is able to be locked.

Asking for a partial refund for a broken tray table for you and your partner is, to put it bluntly, ridiculous. The flight is what 8.5 hours and you had to move to what, maybe 90 minutes at most to eat?

Airplanes are full of parts that can break; some are safety issues some are convenience issues. This was a convenience issue. It should not happen but it does; plastic parts break and plastics deteriorate; again it happens, and it may have just broken with you and not have been a problem on a previous flight. Maintenance does not test every tray table between flights, they look for safety issues.

When tray table has been broken I have asked for pillows to put in my lap and used that for base of the tray table. Uncomfortable and inconvenient yes; a nightmare no. I would call a nightmare the situation of the woman who died after being partially sucked out of a Southwest airline flight after the window broke. But that is just my perspective.

8000/10000 miles is reasonable.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In regards to the table anything that actually says “look sorry about this and give a compensation for the issue that happened.

As an example Virgin australia provided me with 20,000 points just because they did not seat myself and my partner together and instead I paid an extra $50 to do so. It’s not in the contract to sit beside eachother but as a gesture of goodwill they done that which was outstanding.

Etihad on the other hand have only offered 8000 points after spending hours on the flight that was not up to standard. Each seat is checked or supposed to be checked (long haul flights) and items fixed/repaired before they fly out. Even the hostesses said so.

In regards to the cost of the flight it was roughly about $1200 each for the trip so I’d value that section of the flight around $500.

I will take the advise and email someone higher up in the business

Regards

EDIT: the bags were delayed but I did end up receiving them. I was only wanting to claim for the necessities I have purchased such as clothes toiletries etc as per the Montreal agreement. Half the battle is getting them to respond lol
They should have refunded the $50 you paid for the seats together. Did they do that?

Quite frankly, Etihad didn’t have to offer you anything. There is nothing in writing guaranteeing a working tray table.

Take what they offered you and concentrate on the bags. Did they find and deliver the bags? That’s key in determining what they owe you.

Jul 18, 2018
“As for the tray table not working it is not a safety violation as long as the tray table is able to be locked”

That is the exact reasoning I asked for the report. Someone before me would of reported it, when I say broken I literally mean I walked to the end of the aircraft with the table and the metal sharp arms sticking out. Safety hazard = yes.

Also they didn’t refund the $50 but they technically gave me value well worth the $50. As to buy them seats it cost me $50 or 10,000 equivalent points. They gave me 20,000 for the hassle.

Also bags were delayed arriving into Dublin. So I was on holidays without them for few days, they turned up but I deffo will be providing my receipts for reimbursements.

Sep 19, 2015
But someone may not have reported it, perhaps they did not bother or did not know to. All such problems should be reported.

Is is this a seat back tray table or armrest tray table?

If this was so noticeable before take off did you alert the cabin crew before departure so that maintenance could be called to see if could be fixed?

The airline has no obligation to give you an internal safety check or any internal maintenance documents.

The airlines do not check every overhead latch, every tray table, every seat back recline before the plane turns around.

If you truly believe there is a safety violation report it to the regulatory authorities. They have the ability to demand documents. Let them decide if it a violation. They are the ones that make these determinations, not you.

If you are trying to get documents so as to up your compensation I would advise you to forget that.

At some point the airline may not want to waste time over a tray table and not offer any more or retract the offer.
It is unlikely that you will get any internal paperwork unless part of a lawsuit.

Go search what compensation is for a broken tray table on various forums — it can range from 0 to 10.000 miles— and some of these passengers are on paid premium fares not flying economy.

Persist when the reimbursement for delayed baggage. It may be around euro 40 to 50 per day limit for reimbursement. That amount changes on location of delay.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
“As for the tray table not working it is not a safety violation as long as the tray table is able to be locked”

That is the exact reasoning I asked for the report. Someone before me would of reported it, when I say broken I literally mean I walked to the end of the aircraft with the table and the metal sharp arms sticking out. Safety hazard = yes.

Also they didn’t refund the $50 but they technically gave me value well worth the $50. As to buy them seats it cost me $50 or 10,000 equivalent points. They gave me 20,000 for the hassle.

Also bags were delayed arriving into Dublin. So I was on holidays without them for few days, they turned up but I deffo will be providing my receipts for reimbursements.
You should fight for the $50 in cash.

They should cover the essentials you needed until your bags arrived and if you paid for those bags, they should also refund your bag fees.

That’s what you should focus on fighting for. The flight crew on the flight you were on would have no way of knowing of anyone filed a report about the broken tray. The person before you might not have reported it and it was also most likely a different crew than the one that flew in on the plane.

Forget about the tray table. They gave you the option to use another seat to eat in and you didn’t take it. You didn’t have to spend the whole flight there. They have you a solution and you opted out. There is nothing in the terms guaranteeing a working tray table so there is no violation.

Concentrate on the things you should be complaining about- the seat fee and getting reimbursed for you late bags.

Sep 19, 2015
You should fight for the $50 in cash.

They should cover the essentials you needed until your bags arrived and if you paid for those bags, they should also refund your bag fees.

That’s what you should focus on fighting for. The flight crew on the flight you were on would have no way of knowing of anyone filed a report about the broken tray. The person before you might not have reported it and it was also most likely a different crew than the one that flew in on the plane.

Forget about the tray table. They gave you the option to use another seat to eat in and you didn’t take it. You didn’t have to spend the whole flight there. They have you a solution and you opted out. There is nothing in the terms guaranteeing a working tray table so there is no violation.

Concentrate on the things you should be complaining about- the seat fee and getting reimbursed for you late bags.

Neil I think the $50 seating fee was for another flight and this is unrelated to the Etihad flight.

Etihad has offered miles for the broken tray, which the OP find inadequate. The compensation offered is in line with what airlines give for the problem.

The issue of the reimbursement for delayed baggage is separate and the airline should respond once given appropriate receipts.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil I think the $50 seating fee was for another flight and this is unrelated to the Etihad flight.

Etihad has offered miles for the broken tray, which the OP find inadequate. The compensation offered is in line with what airlines give for the problem.

The issue of the reimbursement for delayed baggage is separate and the airline should respond once given appropriate receipts.
I agree. The tray shouldn’t even be mentioned anymore- the compensation was adequate and the OP could have moved to eat if it was that inconvenient. Sometimes you have to meet people half way when you have in issue.,

Dec 11, 2016
Question to the OP: You mention that you had a boiling cup of coffee on the tray table when it fell apart. Did boiling coffee spill on you or your seatmate? Were you injured, or clothes/etc damaged in any way from a spill? I didn't see that discussed above, and I think this is important. Not just the "risk" of a spill, which may be why you describe this as a safety issue, but actual damage and injury to your person. If yes, did you file an incident report with flight staff?

May 15, 2016
Question to the OP: You mention that you had a boiling cup of coffee on the tray table when it fell apart. Did boiling coffee spill on you or your seatmate? Were you injured, or clothes/etc damaged in any way from a spill? I didn't see that discussed above, and I think this is important. Not just the "risk" of a spill, which may be why you describe this as a safety issue, but actual damage and injury to your person. If yes, did you file an incident report with flight staff?
do you really think there is even a 1 in a billion chance that the OP was injured by boiling coffee and somehow she forget to think that would be a significant thing to mention, considering the detail of her other complaints?

Jul 18, 2018
For those playing at home - I found this. As stated compo does vary from company to company, country to country.
http://www.traveller.com.au/broken-...lanes-are-you-entitled-to-compensation-h1060h

Should I just accept points - yeah maybe, but does this address their issue? No. on the flight back I clearly remember the seat in the middle also had a broken tray table. Safe to say I wouldnt fly Etihad again.

Also the talk about moving while eating - I could do that however it was an extremely busy flight and I had to get up and move all the way to the back of the aircraft (I sat near the front) just to eat and even times of having a drink as the aircraft did not even have a cup holder.

In regards to the coffee - no spill on myself nor my clothes. However due to the table not being able to lock at all they ended up removing it.

I have contacted them numerous times about my baggage (I had 4 bags) and as per the montreal agreement I would be looking towards reimbursement.

Regards to all those who replied

Sep 19, 2015
The delayed baggage issue is certainly an annoyance. Airlines tend to have a maximum limit per day of reimbursement for essentials.

How long were the bags delayed?

How have you been contacting them to submit a claim and receipts? Has the airline even acknowledged receipt of the claim? Is through through regular email channels?

How much are you requesting?

Jul 18, 2018
The delayed baggage issue is certainly an annoyance. Airlines tend to have a maximum limit per day of reimbursement for essentials.

How long were the bags delayed?

How have you been contacting them to submit a claim and receipts? Has the airline even acknowledged receipt of the claim? Is through through regular email channels?

How much are you requesting?

Bags were delayed just about 1.5 days.
I have contacted them via the form that was given to me in Dublin that deals with baggage claims/compo. I have also written to their customer service chat on Facebook and I have notified the person I am emailing in regards to the seat tray also. I am awaiting confirmation that they have received my claim.

I am requesting the reimbursement of the items I had to purchase for my partner and myself and as far as I am aware they pay a day rate for the missing bags

Sep 19, 2015
Did they give you anything at the airport? Yes it is a failure of customer service to reimburse the 40 euro person per day (if that is what it is, just a guess).for the 1.5 days.

Have you tried to write to the customer contacts and include the receipts and all.