Assault and Battery on Etihad Airways flight EY 102 on December 13 2017, .

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 11, 2018
I was a passenger on flight EY 102 flying business class on December 13 2017 from JFK to Abu Dhabi, with onward connection to Karachi.
One hour into the flight I went to the washroom in the aft of my cabin across the emergency exit which had a curtain drawn across. On coming out of the washroom I saw a fellow passenger waiting to use the facility, and made room for her to enter, I took a step back into the curtained area behind me and suddenly was violently pushed into the wall in front of me. My head hit the wall, my glasses fell and I was very stunned. I picked up my glasses and looked back a passenger was standing behind me, he was behind the area curtained off. Using extreme profanity he accused me of stepping on his prayer rug, I informed him that I could not see him behind the curtain, but his verbal abuse continued unabated.

I decided to de escalate the situation and without saying anything further went into my seat and saw a flight attendant, to whom I reported the incident and asked to talk to the cabin manager. She did ask me if it was the passenger who was praying behind the curtain and I informed her it was.

The cabin manager met me after nearly 40 minutes in the lounge of the business class cabin to whom I explained and reported the incident. I even asked if she would want me to identify the passenger who was my assailant and also the passenger waiting to enter the washroom. Her answer was " that will not be necessary".
I asked her to inform the captain who could inform the ground security at Abu Dhabi airport. She made no comment. She did apologize for what had happened to me.

On reaching my destination I wrote to the CEO of Etihad airways about the incident, and received a reply from customer services saying they were sorry, and that they had checked with the crew, who offered me medical assistance and also offered to report the incident to the police, but that I had declined.

This is absolutely false. No such offer was made to me or any form of assistance offered. They continue to repeat themselves saying passenger security is a priority. It is clear they are protecting my assailant, and do not want to take any further action..

I am requesting someone to help me find some resolution to this as this is not acceptable.

Jan 11, 2018
I did not report it to the police in Abu Dhabi , but had requested Etihad crew to do so.

I would like to be compensated for my journey as I was very uncomfortable sharing a cabin with a violent passenger.

My concern is that in all their communications with me they have not mentioned what action if any was taken against my assailant. I have checked with my sources in other airlines who have informed me that they would put such a passenger on the No Fly List after carrying out their investigation.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
No one is going to tell you what "actions" have been taken against the other passenger. Privacy laws. Can you post your email to the CEO? Did you specifically ask for part of your ticket price to be refunded?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Syed Faiyaz Hussain Two things..
1. You can ask but I've never seen an airline refund a trip based on the actions of a third party. I'd be ready to accept some miles or vouchers less than what you paid. Mainly, they're looking to make up for their staff no following through and that probably doesn't warrant a full refund in their eyes.
2. If you don't want them releasing your private information to the other passenger involved, you can't really expect them to release anything about him, to include any actions taken, to you.

Good Luck

Jan 11, 2018
One further question, should the crew not have reported this incident to the local police at Abu Dhabi? I was a transiting passenger and not familiar with local laws.

My transit time in Abu Dhabi was over 3 hours.

Sep 19, 2015
The passenger clearly has some anger issues and lack of self control.

Syed Faiyaz Hussein you were right to deescalate the situation.

Here is what I think is problematic. I think the airline did not want to deal with the paperwork and police. If airport police had been called both the victim and the aggressor likely would have had to be interviewed and sign statements. That could take hours. Many passengers may not want to be witnesses or interviewed because they may miss their connection. I think the cabin staff was waiting for the OP to insist on the police and not leave without seeing them

Would a violent shoving count as assault? I do not know the laws of Abu Dhabi. So I do not know if this is something that a person would be arrested over or detained or just given a ticket.

The airline is not at fault as it was a bad passenger.

In most places the victim needs to report an assault. Would the OP have wanted to miss the connection to file a report?

I agree with John Baker about the airline likely not refunding the money for the flight but likely may give points or miles.

I do not know what the FAA or DOT could do in this case as it was not the airline but a passenger.

What a horrible experience.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Shoving would be considered battery in most places. I will say that you are probably lucky the passenger did not report you to the police first and make something up. Many times in that area the police will believe whomever reports to them first. It’s not right but that’s what it is.

I don’t believe the FAA would have jurisdiction as it’s not a US airline, though it might be worth a try.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The passenger clearly has some anger issues and lack of self control.

Syed Faiyaz Hussein you were right to deescalate the situation.

Here is what I think is problematic. I think the airline did not want to deal with the paperwork and police. If airport police had been called both the victim and the aggressor likely would have had to be interviewed and sign statements. That could take hours. Many passengers may not want to be witnesses or interviewed because they may miss their connection. I think the cabin staff was waiting for the OP to insist on the police and not leave without seeing them

Would a violent shoving count as assault? I do not know the laws of Abu Dhabi. So I do not know if this is something that a person would be arrested over or detained or just given a ticket.

The airline is not at fault as it was a bad passenger.

In most places the victim needs to report an assault. Would the OP have wanted to miss the connection to file a report?

I agree with John Baker about the airline likely not refunding the money for the flight but likely may give points or miles.

I do not know what the FAA or DOT could do in this case as it was not the airline but a passenger.

What a horrible experience.
What an awful thing to happen on an airplane. Christina's explanation makes a great deal of sense. Would you have missed your connection to follow through with the authorities at the airport? Thugs and crazy people are everywhere, and they often know just how far they can go without anyone reacting. You did exactly the right thing by walking away. I would hope that the airline offers you an apology (unlikely) and some miles or a voucher toward a future flight.