Ascend Hotel Collection (Choice Hotels Inc.) raised rate by $500/night after it was booked and confirmation received! HELP

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 19, 2014
Chris in NC it appears that the reservation was made on 1/21 and the hotel notified the traveler on 1/22 so it seems like less than 24 hours.

My guess is that the rate calendar had a problem -- as of now the hotel is sold out. Yes the hotel rates are elevated for the Super Bowl and have been since December -- even the Howard Johnson at the airport is over $400 per night that weekend.
Thanks Christina,

If that is the case, then no, I do not feel that the OP has much recourse, unless, Georgia consumer law dictates otherwise. It would be a much different scenario if the OP had made the reservation weeks or months in advance, and then received notification recently. If the reservation was made on 1/21 and the notification came on 1/22, given that this was super bowl weekend and the rate was significantly below market value, I do not feel that the hotel owes the OP anything.

I will reiterate I do not know Georgia consumer or hotel law. However, just like we ask travel providers and suppliers to be reasonable, it goes both ways. In this situation, the hotel made an honest mistake, it was corrected and the customer notified within a reasonable time frame. My advice to the OP is to let this one go, and look for another property.

Dec 19, 2014
A quick look at hotel availability shows at least 15 properties in the Marriott family that are offering rates under $350 a night. I've seen rates as low as $249 a night. So, it is not like the OP does not have options. There are more than 97,000 hotel rooms in the Atlanta metro area. Even with the Super Bowl, there will be excess hotel rooms even accounting for all the the Super Bowl demand. My suspicion is that as the date moves closer, you will see discounting of the room rates as hotels try and fill unsold rooms.

Feb 3, 2017
If you have a confirmation that says booked, there might be hope.

Don't start with the local manager, use our contacts and go to Corporate.
Oh, okay. I was referring to your post #12 which was posted after she said it was not pre-paid.

Doesn't matter if I understand it - Just matters that, hopefully, she gets this figured out.

Jan 22, 2019
I just called the hotel to confirm the reservation had not been canceled before making any other calls. The reservation is still in the system with the rate I booked. Possibly my first conversation was enough and they are honoring the rate? Or will I get surprised at check in? Is it best to make a phone call or just leave it alone?

Jan 22, 2019
I called the hotel directly to confirm the reservation was still in their system and hadn't been canceled. It is still in the system at the rate in which I booked. Am I naive in thinking my first conversation was enough and they are honoring the rate? Or do I call and speak with someone to confirm? I don't want to upset the apple cart if all has been resolved.

Jan 22, 2019
What exactly did the email say that you received about the rate change? Can you copy and paste it removing identifying info?
I received a phone call from an employee of the hotel. I told him it was not acceptable to change the rate and that they had to honor the quoted rate. At the end of the call he said he would have the Assistant Manager call me. I have not received any emails.

Dec 19, 2014
I received a phone call from an employee of the hotel. I told him it was not acceptable to change the rate and that they had to honor the quoted rate. At the end of the call he said he would have the Assistant Manager call me. I have not received any emails.
If they are going to honor the rate, you need to get it in WRITING, or else you will be back on the forum in 2 weeks with another post.

Read my posts above. It is pretty obvious to me as a 3rd party observer that this is a mistaken rate. If you want to pursue, then you need to familiarize yourself with Georgia consumer law to see if the law is on your side. Otherwise, the hotel can rescind the rate due to an error. Mistakes go both ways.