Ascend Hotel Collection (Choice Hotels Inc.) raised rate by $500/night after it was booked and confirmation received! HELP

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 22, 2019
Looking for advice on a booked hotel reservation. Anyone ever have a hotel raise the nightly rate (by $500) on a confirmed reservation claiming it was a "technical glitch"? The rate in my confirmation email from the hotel was what I would expect a typical rate would be $198/night- it wasn't, for example, $17/night. They are jacking it now b/c of the Super Bowl to $764/night. No charges on my card yet. Advice on how to get them to honor the published rate.......would rather not find a new hotel as most are sold out. I am awaiting a call back from the manager. Is this legal?

Sep 20, 2015
First, don't call, use e-mail so you have a written record. One thing I would do is look at the rates outside of Super Bowl time to see if $198 is a typical rate (it certainly should be in most cities), and then present that first to the manager (who I'm guessing will not be sympathetic since he/she can get $500+ a night more than you reserved). Also check to see if you have a confirmed reservation with a reservation code/number. Check the terms and conditions of your reservation and see if there is any out for the hotel to raise rates or cancel--if not, state this in the e-mail to the manager as well. If that person doesn't play ball, go up the chain at Choice Hotels (https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/choice-hotels-international/), start at the bottom of the executive chain and move up. The folks at the forum recommend waiting a week per contact, but in this case you have less than 2 weeks so you may need to move faster. Be concise, use bulleted facts, such as the fact you have a confirmed reservation, and include whatever you find from the terms and conditions, and make it clear you made this reservation in good faith. But you also should be fair and give the hotel manager a chance to explain.

Jan 22, 2019
First, don't call, use e-mail so you have a written record. One thing I would do is look at the rates outside of Super Bowl time to see if $198 is a typical rate (it certainly should be in most cities), and then present that first to the manager (who I'm guessing will not be sympathetic since he/she can get $500+ a night more than you reserved). Also check to see if you have a confirmed reservation with a reservation code/number. Check the terms and conditions of your reservation and see if there is any out for the hotel to raise rates or cancel--if not, state this in the e-mail to the manager as well. If that person doesn't play ball, go up the chain at Choice Hotels (https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/choice-hotels-international/), start at the bottom of the executive chain and move up. The folks at the forum recommend waiting a week per contact, but in this case you have less than 2 weeks so you may need to move faster. Be concise, use bulleted facts, such as the fact you have a confirmed reservation, and include whatever you find from the terms and conditions, and make it clear you made this reservation in good faith. But you also should be fair and give the hotel manager a chance to explain.

Thank you! I have searched through their policies and can find nothing that allows them to raise the rate after booking. The only mention is in regards to taxes and fees which may change. Yes, $198 is a typical rate in non Super Bowl times. This is what my confirmation says -

Confirmation Number: 52*****
Reservation Status: Reserved
Check In: Friday, Feb 1, 2019 (3:00 PM)
Check Out: Monday, Feb 4, 2019 (12:00 PM)
Number of Rooms: 1

They also have a "Lower Price Guarantee." This is how it reads.

LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEE: STOP LOOKING, YOU FOUND IT!

We know it's hard to find the best price on the Internet. That's why we make it easy. We're so sure that our prices are the best price available online, we proudly stand behind it.
Simply book online at ChoiceHotels.com, call 800.4CHOICE or book by calling the property directly and we'll stand behind our rate with our Lowest Price Guarantee. If you happen to find a lower published price for the same date and terms on any other qualified online source, we'll not only match that rate—we'll also give U.S. and Canadian residents a $50 Reward Card (in USD or CAD respectively) to spend any way you want. International guests will receive their first night free instead.

I will start with the local manager.

Sep 19, 2015
However Choice has a disclaimer for error rates in the terms and conditions:

“The information and content on this site may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors, including inaccuracies related to pricing or availability applicable to your transaction. Choice shall not assume responsibility or liability for any such inaccuracies, errors or omissions, and shall have no obligation to honor reservations or information affected by such inaccuracies. Choice reserves the right to make changes, corrections, cancellations and/or improvements to our content and information, and to the products and programs described in such content and information, at any time, including after confirmation of a transaction.”

https://www.choicehotels.com/legal/terms-of-use

I suspect it is legal as the hotel will claim someone loaded the wrong rate calendar.

Now it is up to the goodwill of the hotel.

Jan 22, 2019
However Choice has a disclaimer for error rates in the terms and conditions:

“The information and content on this site may contain technical inaccuracies and typographical errors, including inaccuracies related to pricing or availability applicable to your transaction. Choice shall not assume responsibility or liability for any such inaccuracies, errors or omissions, and shall have no obligation to honor reservations or information affected by such inaccuracies. Choice reserves the right to make changes, corrections, cancellations and/or improvements to our content and information, and to the products and programs described in such content and information, at any time, including after confirmation of a transaction.”

https://www.choicehotels.com/legal/terms-of-use

I suspect it is legal as the hotel will claim someone loaded the wrong rate calendar.

Now it is up to the goodwill of the hotel.
Thank you for this information. Not looking good for me!

Feb 3, 2017
I never pre-pay for a hotel and all my confirmations say "booked" - or "booking confirmed" - they all, obviously, have my credit card number.

How would her having such a confirmation but not pre-paid be helpful?

Just curious - are you saying that since it has not yet been fully paid yet, that might make a difference?

My bookings always have a date by which I can cancel the non-prepaid booking - either from 2 days, some smaller places about 7-14 days before check-in date, I cancel before having to pay the entire booking if I cancel after those dates (or am a no-show) because they already have my cc info and will simply charge my card, as agreed to in the booking.

So - I am interested to know how this might be helpful to her -

I hope it is, but wondering why it might be.

Feb 3, 2017
You have a better chance of disputing the price change if they charged your card already.
So confirmation saying "booked" even if card not charged yet gives someone a better chance?

Just confused because in prior post you say that she has a better chance at chargeback if it says "booked" even though she had said her card would not be charged until she arrived at the hotel. So, her credit card has not yet been charged from what I understand.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So confirmation saying "booked" even if card not charged yet gives someone a better chance?

Just confused because in prior post you say that she has a better chance at chargeback if it says "booked" even though she had said her card would not be charged until she arrived at the hotel. So, her credit card has not yet been charged from what I understand.
I said if the room was PRE PAID there is a better chance because charging the card indicates they accepted the rate that was confirmed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Since time is of the essence, in your case I would call or do an online chat. Did you book directly at the hotel or through the Choice website? Call that entity, be very polite and question why your rate has suddenly changed. Request that they honor the rate you booked. They'll probably not believe that you didn't know it was a SuperBowl weekend, but you might as well try. They'll say that you should have known that $200 was not a valid rate for a room. If that conversation/chat fails, contact corporate for some help.

Dec 19, 2014
1) When did you make the reservation and receive the "confirmed" rate?
2) When did they notify you of the incorrect rate?
Perhaps this will not be the popular opinion, but after all, it is super bowl weekend. Rates for most hotels are several times the normal rate and come with special event restrictions (ie non-refundable)
3) The hotel will most certainly have a disclaimer about errors, so the situation changes if they notified you within a reasonable time (ie < 24 hours after booking) versus several months after booking
4) One other caveat, hotel prices may plummet a few days before the event if there are unsold rooms. Atlanta has tremendous hotel inventory and unsold inventory may be fire sold.

Sep 19, 2015
1) When did you make the reservation and receive the "confirmed" rate?
2) When did they notify you of the incorrect rate?
Perhaps this will not be the popular opinion, but after all, it is super bowl weekend. Rates for most hotels are several times the normal rate and come with special event restrictions (ie non-refundable)
3) The hotel will most certainly have a disclaimer about errors, so the situation changes if they notified you within a reasonable time (ie < 24 hours after booking) versus several months after booking
4) One other caveat, hotel prices may plummet a few days before the event if there are unsold rooms. Atlanta has tremendous hotel inventory and unsold inventory may be fire sold.
Chris in NC it appears that the reservation was made on 1/21 and the hotel notified the traveler on 1/22 so it seems like less than 24 hours.

My guess is that the rate calendar had a problem -- as of now the hotel is sold out. Yes the hotel rates are elevated for the Super Bowl and have been since December -- even the Howard Johnson at the airport is over $400 per night that weekend.