Are Delta companion tickets worthless?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 19, 2018
I have a Delta credit card where I get a companion ticket. I have been trying to use it to get a ticket for my wife and me to go from MSP to PDX on Oct18-21. However, I kept being told NO, I can’t use my companion ticket. Why is that when there are many open seats. Very frustrated! Are companion tickets worthless? Should I lower the level of my credit card since it seems I can’t use the companion ticket?

Thanks!

David

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My wife has this as well. There have to be available award seats on the flights you are looking for. You might have better luck trying for a flight further out.

It angers many of us these “perks” are so difficult to use.

Aug 19, 2018
My wife has this as well. There have to be available award seats on the flights you are looking for. You might have better luck trying for a flight further out.

It angers many of us these “perks” are so difficult to use.
We are having a family gathering so the dates are not flexible.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
It is very frustrating. Did you call the reservations desk to see if they might be able to explain what's going on or waitlist you? If you can't get any joy this way, please use our company contacts page to explain what's happening. I recently booked one of these awards for a different trip and now I realize how lucky I was that I was able to do so.

Apr 10, 2017
I have used Delta companion tickets several times with no problems. I didn't think the available seats were treated the same as mileage award seats as I had plenty of options for flights. Which credit card do you have? I do know you get a first class companion ticket with the Delta Reserve card but you only get a Main Cabin ticket with the others. To be more specific the fare class has to be L, U, T, X, or V. You can't book Delta Comfort either, only Main Cabin. Could this be the problem?

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Since I have an unused certificate myself I verified the complaint is correct, all the seats are marked as sold out if you try to make a booking for 2 on that route for those dates using a certificate. I did try to make a regular booking for 2 people to see if it shows any seats in those classes L, U, T, X, or V and it does show inventory availlable so I really think that @davidkorte you need to call reservations and ask them why you can't book seats even though the inventory is available and if that doesn't help, use the company contacts.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2017
I just tried to do a mock booking and there are none of those fare class seats for both legs of the trip. The problem is there's a connection on the return and the flight from SEA-MSP is H fare class.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I saw availability when I tried. I suggest that other people don't all go in and try this otherwise you could end up taking away any availability there actually is.

Aug 19, 2018
It is very frustrating. Did you call the reservations desk to see if they might be able to explain what's going on or waitlist you? If you can't get any joy this way, please use our company contacts page to explain what's happening. I recently booked one of these awards for a different trip and now I realize how lucky I was that I was able to do so.
I did call the reservation staff and asked why there were no companion tickets even though there were lots of open seats. There said there are just s few seats on each flight set aside for companion ticket status. Again, are there so few seats aside for companion that i need to stop paying the extra money for the upgrade in credit card to get them?

Aug 19, 2018
I have used Delta companion tickets several times with no problems. I didn't think the available seats were treated the same as mileage award seats as I had plenty of options for flights. Which credit card do you have? I do know you get a first class companion ticket with the Delta Reserve card but you only get a Main Cabin ticket with the others. To be more specific the fare class has to be L, U, T, X, or V. You can't book Delta Comfort either, only Main Cabin. Could this be the problem?
I have the Silver Platinum Delta Card. The system will not let me get any class of companion ticket.

Aug 19, 2018
Since I have an unused certificate myself I verified the complaint is correct, all the seats are marked as sold out if you try to make a booking for 2 on that route for those dates using a certificate. I did try to make a regular booking for 2 people to see if it shows any seats in those classes L, U, T, X, or V and it does show inventory availlable so I really think that @davidkorte you need to call reservations and ask them why you can't book seats even though the inventory is available and if that doesn't help, use the company contacts.
I have called them and they said they can book a companion ticket.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You might also pick up some tips on FlyerTalk, David. Those guys go squirreling around every aspect of loyalty programs. My only experience was a companion tix for MSP to Rapid City. DL wanted $630 for one tix ... it's a 55 minute flight. I never bothered to look again. You probably are too late to snag a free tix, but I'm not sure it would be of much benefit anyway. DL has MSP sewn up, I'd look at alternate routing ... maybe through Chicago or LA to avoid Delta.

One positive that Delta has just come up with is the ability to book first class seats using your AmEx card and DL miles. You can pick your own discount amount, plus seats at time of ticketing. Otherwise, there are few perks for the up-scale AmEx. I wish they'd bring back NorthWest!!

Nov 19, 2014
In roughly 10 years we have never had a problem using the companion ticket (coach seats). But since airlines have fine tuned their lift capabilities, one needs to be very flexible. Book early, but not too early; 4-6 months ahead seems to be the sweet spot. Avoid holidays and travel to/from vacation spots (Florida, for example) on weekends. Try to fly Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Be flexible with cities and airports; you may find an airport a bit farther will have seats (ie EWR rather than LGA). [Other tips are to use unpopular flights such as early morning of late in the day ... or longer/shorter connections.] Do all that and it's easy. We did some of that and are heading to MEM tomorrow! If all else fails, call them and if they like you enough they may be able to open up seats. Persist!

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I am glad it was resolved. I booked my trip just a few weeks before. I think there was just a glitch in the system because I also noticed that it was only showing 4 options outbound when using the certificate (all of them sold out) whereas when trying to make the booking as if it were two paid seats, there were many more flights coming up.

Apr 10, 2017
In roughly 10 years we have never had a problem using the companion ticket (coach seats). But since airlines have fine tuned their lift capabilities, one needs to be very flexible. Book early, but not too early; 4-6 months ahead seems to be the sweet spot. Avoid holidays and travel to/from vacation spots (Florida, for example) on weekends. Try to fly Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Be flexible with cities and airports; you may find an airport a bit farther will have seats (ie EWR rather than LGA). [Other tips are to use unpopular flights such as early morning of late in the day ... or longer/shorter connections.] Do all that and it's easy. We did some of that and are heading to MEM tomorrow! If all else fails, call them and if they like you enough they may be able to open up seats. Persist!
Yes, you definitely have to be flexible. I learned early on that the companion ticket can't be used anywhere around a holiday. It's great when you can use them though. My husband was able to accompany me on a work trip for $43 last year.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is the kind of information our OPs need, Kairho. Great job!

Aug 22, 2018
I rarely get to use the companion ticket, as availability 4-6 months out isn't nearly enough time to find an available seat. If I am lucky enough to find seats, the flight and/or connections is usually the worst available and, generally, the one ticket costs as much, if not more, than two tickets on Southwest Airlines - and the Southwest itinerary is generally more suited to my travel needs. I think I've been able to use the companion voucher 2 or 3 times in the past decade.