APPLE VACATIONS -RIU SANTE FE, CABO SAN LUCAS

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 14, 2019
My sister in law and I went to the RIU Santa Fe in Cabo San Lucas on 2/14. From the get go it was a horrible experience. Customer Service was horrible, our room safe was broke, our sliding glass door didn't lock, the food was nasty, urine in our hallway, vomit on the sidewalk, it was a complete drunk fest and to top it all off we came upon a group of young adults with security and a couple of girls yelling that they were sexually assaulted at a pool party they were at. It was such a horrible experience that we left 48 hours later with no help from the Apple representatives that we were told to work through. We asked if we could switch hotels and were told by Apple no, there was no way to do that. We were told that they could not get us on a flight out any earlier and that if we left, we would be on our own to get back to the airport as well as any flight cost. We decided that we wanted out of there enough to pay our own way which was a one way fare from SJD - MSP. We advised the hotel when we checked out WHY we were leaving. I did write to Apple Vacations as I was told to do and the RIU Santa Fe said that since we didn't tell them directly, there was nothing they could do for us on a refund. We were told since we booked through Apple Vacation, we were to go to the Apple Representatives and that is what we did. Apple offered us a measly $150 voucher to myself and my sister in law which is just not acceptable in our eyes and want a full refund.

Jan 6, 2015
Looking at your timeline, I would present the following to Apple Leisure Group, which is the parent company of Apple Vacations.
  • My sister in law and had booked a XX day stay at the RIU Santa Fe in Cabo San Lucas beginning February 14th
  • We immediately encountered multiple issues: a broken safe, broken lock on the sliding glass door, urine in the hallway, and vomit on the sidewalk. There was also an encounter with some girls yelling that they were sexually assaulted at the pool. This went on for two days.
  • Concerned, we were told that since we booked through Apple Vacation, we were to go to the Apple Representatives.
  • We contacted them about switching hotels and our request was denied. They then denied our request an earlier flight.
  • We considered the environment bad enough to pay our own way which was a one way fare from SJD - MSP.
  • We advised the hotel of our reasons for leaving when we checked out early.
  • Apple has offered us each a $150 voucher
The remainder of your points will not advance your cause, I think. While meaningful to you, they could have the opposite effect . . .

Regarding compensation. I do not think a full refund is reasonable, nor do I think it will be granted. Instead, I suggest you request the remainder of your stay (length minus the 2 days) plus the cost of airfare back to MSP. You will each need to appeal separately.

Read "How to Present Your Case" first and then begin your appeal.
In your communications with them, it is important that you send only one email per week before escalating to the next level . . .​

Sep 19, 2015
This sounds like a dreadful stay with numerous badly behaved spring break travelers. Some places cater to these groups.

How long was the stay supposed to be?

Was the resort unable or unwilling to help or move to another property?

I would also have not been comfortable in that environment— even when I was in college — just not for me.

Apple may be more likely to give more vouchers is that something that would be acceptable?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a disgusting experience. Travelling to a warm climate in late spring usually involves Spring Break and all its relevant issues, but that doesn't mean that you need to suffer through all that.

When you compose your letter, be extremely polite and grateful for their time and attention. Place no blame on Apple, you want the person reading your letter to want to help you. Tell them that you followed all the guidelines but nobody would help. Ask for vouchers for a reasonable sum. Next time, do the research on a property you're considering staying in before you make the reservations.

Apr 14, 2019
Looking at your timeline, I would present the following to Apple Leisure Group, which is the parent company of Apple Vacations.
  • My sister in law and had booked a XX day stay at the RIU Santa Fe in Cabo San Lucas beginning February 14th
  • We immediately encountered multiple issues: a broken safe, broken lock on the sliding glass door, urine in the hallway, and vomit on the sidewalk. There was also an encounter with some girls yelling that they were sexually assaulted at the pool. This went on for two days.
  • Concerned, we were told that since we booked through Apple Vacation, we were to go to the Apple Representatives.
  • We contacted them about switching hotels and our request was denied. They then denied our request an earlier flight.
  • We considered the environment bad enough to pay our own way which was a one way fare from SJD - MSP.
  • We advised the hotel of our reasons for leaving when we checked out early.
  • Apple has offered us each a $150 voucher
The remainder of your points will not advance your cause, I think. While meaningful to you, they could have the opposite effect . . .

Regarding compensation. I do not think a full refund is reasonable, nor do I think it will be granted. Instead, I suggest you request the remainder of your stay (length minus the 2 days) plus the cost of airfare back to MSP. You will each need to appeal separately.

Read "How to Present Your Case" first and then begin your appeal.
In your communications with them, it is important that you send only one email per week before escalating to the next level . . .
Thank you so much for your help and guidance. I sent my letter along with receipts and am anxious to hear what they say.