APPLE LAPTOPS

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 29, 2018
Anyone out there having problems with dropping Internet connections? Happening several times a day & Apple "engineers" always pointing finger elsewhere

Sep 19, 2015
Yes AMA is right you need to find an Apple forum and mention the model and also check with your cable company to make sure the signal is not erratic or that you need a new router. Many variables...

Jul 29, 2018
FURTHER. Have had IP come up 4 times & they installed newest best Router on the market. In addition there are 2 IPhones 1 IPad & 1 Dell computer all working just fine with no dropped connections. With all this I blame Apple, not IP

Sep 19, 2015
FURTHER. Have had IP come up 4 times & they installed newest best Router on the market. In addition there are 2 IPhones 1 IPad & 1 Dell computer all working just fine with no dropped connections. With all this I blame Apple, not IP
Ok you do have the problem isolated — give all the specs to the Apple boards and hopefully they can help

Jul 16, 2016
Had this problem with my Apple laptop for months. Quick fix was to go to system preferences>network> then turn wifi off and on again. Longer fix was convincing Cox cable that bandwidth strength (even though showing full strength on signal bar) was insufficient in the area (big student complex opened down the block) and once they increased it 5 weeks ago the problem resolved and has not returned for the last 5 weeks. And my husbands computer worked fine all that time (Dell), it was just my laptop.

Jul 27, 2016
Had this problem with my Apple laptop for months. Quick fix was to go to system preferences>network> then turn wifi off and on again. Longer fix was convincing Cox cable that bandwidth strength (even though showing full strength on signal bar) was insufficient in the area (big student complex opened down the block) and once they increased it 5 weeks ago the problem resolved and has not returned for the last 5 weeks. And my husbands computer worked fine all that time (Dell), it was just my laptop.
If your husband's computer (presumably attached to the same router and wifi network) was working fine, then it wasn't a problem on Cox's end.

Jul 16, 2016
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/fix-wifi-problems-mac-3605043/
says:
"Check the competition
Your Wi-Fi connection may also be suffering because of other networks nearby, sharing the radio waves with you - particularly if you're in a built-up area."
In our case the Dell was close to the router, mine is 2 rooms away, perhaps the distance difference is enough to cause my Mac to drop in times of high traffic. It seemed to happen more in mornings and evenings, at 3 am I never had a problem.

Jul 27, 2016
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/fix-wifi-problems-mac-3605043/
says:
"Check the competition
Your Wi-Fi connection may also be suffering because of other networks nearby, sharing the radio waves with you - particularly if you're in a built-up area."
In our case the Dell was close to the router, mine is 2 rooms away, perhaps the distance difference is enough to cause my Mac to drop in times of high traffic. It seemed to happen more in mornings and evenings, at 3 am I never had a problem.
Yup, that sounds like the issue was the wifi traffic in your home. Particularly problematic if you live in an apartment. The longer distance might have meant that your Mac was using a 2.4GHz channel, which have better range, but are a lot more congested than the 5GHz channels.