Apple iPhone 6

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 31, 2018
This case is regards my attempts to fix my iPhone 6 after APPLE pushed an iOS update to my phone in Fall 2017.
I updated the iOS at Apple's request and experienced a slow down for multiple apps, including Mac mail (email), camera, Siri, and in-car use. Apparently many other people had the same problem.

In fact, Apple did not contact me about this problem: I finally figured it out through conversations with multiple Apple users.
I wrote to Apple Executive /Tim Cook. I was contacted by Technical Support, after several follow up emails and phone calls. In short, Apple's Executive Office is non-responsive.

In summary, it took over 30 hours with Apple Technical Support to diagnose the problem; now Apple wants me to pay $29 for a new battery, which is not available until April 2018.
HondaLink: I also had to go to the HONDA Dealer to pair my phone with the Audio System again. The dealer knew exactly what to do; I was the 5th person with an Apple phone he had worked with that day. (Note we have never had any difficulty previously pairing an iPhone with the car.)

Desired resolution: This whole process is frustrating beyond belief and reflects shameful hubris on Apple's part.
1. Compensation for the time (30 hours) and frustration to resolve an issue which Apple generated on my phone.
A. Apple should provide a new phone at no charge.
B. Apple should provide the battery at no charge. Apple should stop charging customers for the batteries.

2. Apple should provide a written apology.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)?
Time: 30 hours of time, using typical wage for this type of knowledge work in US = $1500

Thank you

Jan 31, 2018
I already wrote to Tim Cook. Are you suggesting contact Philip Schiller?
Do you have any other open cases for Apple? Thank you

Jan 31, 2018
I did not receive a response. Has anyone else posted a similar issue? This whole experience has been very disappointing.

Jan 6, 2015
You email (?) to Tim Cook may have been lost in the millions he likely receives every week, so I agree with Neil's suggestion to use the Company Contacts on this site. In case you choose to do so, I would like to offer my thoughts about your requests:
  • Battery Replacement (free): This is a reasonable request
  • Phone Replacement (free): They might do this as for them it's a minimal loss, so I would certainly ask
  • Written Apology / Stop Charging for Batteries: While these may seem to be reasonable they can be a distraction from the first two and may hurt your case
  • Compensation for time and frustration: This is highly unlikely, I think, to be granted and again may be a distraction
These are just my thoughts based on my experience making appeals ...

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
I gotta be honest - there is no way that Apple can push an update to you without your consent.

At some point in time - you gave your consent - either to 'automatic' updates or somehow agreed to let Apple update your phone's OS without your consent each time.

Yet another warning to others - never set your phone up to automatic updates. you need to be able to google the update and be certain its not a dogs breakfast of screw ups and that you're not a beta tester

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I gotta be honest - there is no way that Apple can push an update to you without your consent.

At some point in time - you gave your consent - either to 'automatic' updates or somehow agreed to let Apple update your phone's OS without your consent each time.

Yet another warning to others - never set your phone up to automatic updates. you need to be able to google the update and be certain its not a dogs breakfast of screw ups and that you're not a beta tester
Yes it can - it happened with my wife. She pushed it off as long as she could and then the update automatically happened. I can still recall the cursing that went on when it downloaded the update by itself.

Feb 28, 2017
Yes it can - it happened with my wife. She pushed it off as long as she could and then the update automatically happened. I can still recall the cursing that went on when it downloaded the update by itself.
My husband said Apple tricked him by presenting the screen that asked for his passcode. By entering the passcode, he agreed to let Apple install the update overnight. He overlooked the small print at the bottom of the screen that bypassed/rejected the overnight installation. It was pretty tricky - we are so used to entering pass codes to unlock our screens after restarting the phone etc. That tiny message at the bottom was very easy to overlook.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
Not if you're paying attention - doesn't mean I'm being critical -

you can also remove the update from your software update screen so it never asks you again -

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Not if you're paying attention - doesn't mean I'm being critical -

you can also remove the update from your software update screen so it never asks you again -
Apple can also make it hard to even use your phone if you do not eventually accept the update, it just causes problems until you do it. While I do not remember the details I do remember the sequence of events.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
Apple can also make it hard to even use your phone if you do not eventually accept the update, it just causes problems until you do it. While I do not remember the details I do remember the sequence of events.
We retained an iphone 5S for a long time - and still have an iphone 5S with British sim card for when we travel.

I have not updated the phone since iOS 10.5 - and have simply deleted the updates when they arrive - and its been over a year now since I updated the phone - it still works with the old, FAST iOS and no battery slow downs because I have not updated the phone.

'Apple will not and cannot force you to update - and cannot ram an update down your phones throat if you lock out changes = its not the WHOPPR.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
My husband said Apple tricked him by presenting the screen that asked for his passcode. By entering the passcode, he agreed to let Apple install the update overnight. He overlooked the small print at the bottom of the screen that bypassed/rejected the overnight installation. It was pretty tricky - we are so used to entering pass codes to unlock our screens after restarting the phone etc. That tiny message at the bottom was very easy to overlook.
You can always delete the update when it arrives and flashes the red number telling you there is an update pending/. You delete that- and it is simple - and you then have no pending update - the phone only looks for one every week. As long as there is no pending update - you're good. If there is - simply delete it again.

After about 18-24 months your device becomes too old to update and youi're golden

Jan 31, 2018
Thank you for the comments on updates. The issue here is not the ABYSMAL Software Update process.

Rather, my concern is the dysfunctional way which Apple has handled the issue, and lack of appropriate, timely response from Apple management to inquiries.
Note: I have not received a reply to my letter, from either Tara Bunch or Phillip Schiller.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Jan 6, 2015
I see that they have had just three (3) business days to process your request. They really do need more time, so I would wait until a week from this Friday (the 16th).

Last edited: