Anyone ever try to collect for severe pain & $ losses caused by ships doctor on Oceania?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2015
New York
Of course they will ask for a bill with diagnosis codes, just to be a pain. Doubtful this Dr Ayala has a booming medical tourism practice, at least now.

@RICHARD ZITSER
Please don't take this this the wrong way bc it is a sincere compliment- you are not a feeble person, or whatever you said. To the contrary, so let's forget fhe "saga" etc. Your story does show good humor, patiencex, bad treatment and depicts quite the scene- but let's put that aside and get into refund mode.
Have you completed and SUBMITTED the claim on your purchased policy?
If not, send in anything, get it going. You can always add. In your life you have probably filed a numerous medical claims, we all have. Don't over think it.
If you received a denial in writing, are you able to post it here or quote the reason.
Then you need to file that appeal.

May 30, 2016
You could have walked out and rejected the medical care once you realized it was incompetent.

You could have refused evacuation.

You could have simply told the Captain and the helicopter pilot "I refuse this transport and I refuse to pay for this transport. I accept discharge against medical advice."

If you are not willing to stand up for yourself - then you are likely to see a $5000 bill.,
YOUR WORDS ARE EXACTLY WHAT WE BOTH SAID.....IN FACT WE SAT DOWN AND REFUSED TO BUDGE.....THEY LITERALLY CARRIED US OFF SECREAMING....

Aug 28, 2015
New York
It is kind of ridiculous that a cruiseline can't treat what sounds like motion sickness or why they wouldn't stock a pill that helps with this or at least Dramamine.
@RICHARD ZITSER How long after getting off the boat did you feel better?

May 30, 2016
then you have an excellent claim - if you can find a lawyer in Miami to sue them -
]then you have an excellent claim - if you can find a lawyer in Miami to sue them -[/QUOTE]
We have filed an insurance claim.....We spoke to a "big" travel law firm in Miami who turned us over to a small law firm who originally said we have a good case........only to inform us 4 weeks later that we have no case , everything was hearsay and Oceana would deny any responsibility for the next four years?????
It is kind of ridiculous that a cruiseline can't treat what sounds like motion sickness or why they wouldn't stock a pill that helps with this or at least Dramamine.
@RICHARD ZITSER How long after getting off the boat did you feel better?
The next day when the second doctor on Barbados cured the vertigo by a maneuver of my head.
@RICHARD ZITSER But did you file your insurance clAim yet?
YES....but it is taking forever!

May 30, 2016
then you have an excellent claim - if you can find a lawyer in Miami to sue them -
Of course they will ask for a bill with diagnosis codes, just to be a pain. Doubtful this Dr Ayala has a booming medical tourism practice, at least now.

@RICHARD ZITSER
Please don't take this this the wrong way bc it is a sincere compliment- you are not a feeble person, or whatever you said. To the contrary, so let's forget fhe "saga" etc. Your story does show good humor, patiencex, bad treatment and depicts quite the scene- but let's put that aside and get into refund mode.
Have you completed and SUBMITTED the claim on your purchased policy?
If not, send in anything, get it going. You can always add. In your life you have probably filed a numerous medical claims, we all have. Don't over think it.
If you received a denial in writing, are you able to post it here or quote the reason.
Then you need to file that appeal.
All claims have been filed and it is taking forever. I have sent two certified "issue" letters with a short cover letter to the two presidents of the Oceana and NCL.....have not heard a thing from them, this was after their secretary requested that i do not bother with Miami, my case is CLOSED. Truthfully we are extremely frustrated, my plea to the presidents included that one of my motives was to see that this does not happen again.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Richard, when did you file all the paperwork with the travel insurance company? When you started this thread you hadn't finished the insurance claim. It takes at least 30 days to hear from the insurance company.

Also, we recommended you not contact Oceania until you heard from the insurance company. You have 2 separate issues and our advice was to not write until you see if the insurance covers this or not.

If you don't follow our recommendations, our writers can't look at your issue because there are sensible steps to be taken before they can go to bat for you.

Our steps are important to create a paper trail for the writers to use when contacts by companies on your behalf.

Our recommendations are to let the insurance company do their job and then write to Oceania, starting at Customer Service and then moving up one by one. By not doing that, you don't allow the paper trail to build that is needed to fight your case.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
]then you have an excellent claim - if you can find a lawyer in Miami to sue them -
We have filed an insurance claim.....We spoke to a "big" travel law firm in Miami who turned us over to a small law firm who originally said we have a good case........only to inform us 4 weeks later that we have no case , everything was hearsay and Oceana would deny any responsibility for the next four years?????

The next day when the second doctor on Barbados cured the vertigo by a maneuver of my head.

YES....but it is taking forever![/QUOTE]
Claims do take several weeks and often they need more specific medical records.

Mar 17, 2015
Richard - what state are you in? Different states have different laws when it comes to insurance claims. For example, in Texas, the insurance company must respond to you within 15 days of you filing the claim. This can be anything for a request for additional information, to accepting/denying your claim. However, each state is different. So, if you have provided all relevant documentation, then the insurance company only has so long to come to a decision on your claim. Sometimes, insurance companies need to be reminded of the laws. :)

May 30, 2016
Richard, when did you file all the paperwork with the travel insurance company? When you started this thread you hadn't finished the insurance claim. It takes at least 30 days to hear from the insurance company.

Also, we recommended you not contact Oceania until you heard from the insurance company. You have 2 separate issues and our advice was to not write until you see if the insurance covers this or not.

If you don't follow our recommendations, our writers can't look at your issue because there are sensible steps to be taken before they can go to bat for you.

Our steps are important to create a paper trail for the writers to use when contacts by companies on your behalf.

Our recommendations are to let the insurance company do their job and then write to Oceania, starting at Customer Service and then moving up one by one. By not doing that, you don't allow the paper trail to build that is needed to fight your case.
I am truly sorry, I was never aware of first things first.....we have been dealing with some other problems at home which delayed the insurance filing two weeks (our travel agent was not available to help us also)...We did get requests for further information and we had to apply for medicare first.... Everything has been done now, we certainly hope! As for "Miami" and my communication with them, they have repeated that "they did nothing wrong" and have never even mentioned 'insurance'. I repeat that they have given us no consideration at all. I do need and want your help, so please do not give up on us. Also know that I am 83 and still work 3-5 hours a day (not that I need too) and my wife (77) still works for the YNHH gift shop. We are very much with it....and will def. follow your advise.....Thanks again

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I understand. Don't send anything else out until you hear from the insurance company. It takes about a month, so sit tight.

Hopefully the insurance will cover all your expenses. If they don't, then a good letter has to be crafted to Oceania to advise them about what this doctor did and see if you can get them to reimburse you.

We would be happy to help you craft an appropriate letter to Oceania on your behalf because either way, they have to know what this doctor did and a well crafted letter may get you a better response.

Let us know what happens with the insurance.

May 30, 2016
Richard - what state are you in? Different states have different laws when it comes to insurance claims. For example, in Texas, the insurance company must respond to you within 15 days of you filing the claim. This can be anything for a request for additional information, to accepting/denying your claim. However, each state is different. So, if you have provided all relevant documentation, then the insurance company only has so long to come to a decision on your claim. Sometimes, insurance companies need to be reminded of the laws. :)
Conneticut

Richard, I'm originally from Ansonia, just down the road from you. We Naugatuck Valley natives have to stick together!

Your insurance flow chart should look something like this:

• File a claim with Medicare
Then:
  • Get denied by Medicare
Then:
  • File a claim with your supplemental insurance company (Blue Cross, United, etc., etc.)
CONCURRENTLY WITH THE MEDICARE CLAIM AND EVERYTHING ELSE:

• File your claim with your travel insurer

You will be denied by Medicare but your supplemental insurer needs written proof of this. Also your travel insurance company should be in the loop for everything that's happening and probably should have even been called when you were unceremoniously carried from the ship.

Maybe you have some back-filling to do but if you've done all of what has been suggested I think you'll eventually be made whole. Then you can think of going after the cruise line for whatever personal affronts aren't disavowed by the small print that may have accompanied your tickets.

Your story makes me so angry at these two people calling themselves doctors. . .

May 30, 2016
Richard, I'm originally from Ansonia, just down the road from you. We Naugatuck Valley natives have to stick together!

Your insurance flow chart should look something like this:

• File a claim with Medicare
Then:
  • Get denied by Medicare
Then:
  • File a claim with your supplemental insurance company (Blue Cross, United, etc., etc.)
CONCURRENTLY WITH THE MEDICARE CLAIM AND EVERYTHING ELSE:

• File your claim with your travel insurer

You will be denied by Medicare but your supplemental insurer needs written proof of this. Also your travel insurance company should be in the loop for everything that's happening and probably should have even been called when you were unceremoniously carried from the ship.

Maybe you have some back-filling to do but if you've done all of what has been suggested I think you'll eventually be made whole. Then you can think of going after the cruise line for whatever personal affronts aren't disavowed by the small print that may have accompanied your tickets.

Your story makes me so angry at these two people calling themselves doctors. . .
Thank you so much for your concern and advice....will keep you informed neighbor....

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I've kind of lost track here of the order but to recap- I assume the travel insurance claim requires a disclosure that he isn't eligible under any other insurance so he filed a Medicare claim to get the denial to submit?
Medicare doesn't cover out of the country, right? Does his travel insurance actually require a Medicare denial, when (if that is right) it obv knows this? I like @George M 's advice to do it concurrently.
What travel insurance is this? It does seem very slow.
Also, I am interested in this head twist thing. Does anyone have any info on that- sounds good to know about.

I've kind of lost track here of the order but to recap- I assume the travel insurance claim requires a disclosure that he isn't eligible under any other insurance so he filed a Medicare claim to get the denial to submit?
Medicare doesn't cover out of the country, right? Does his travel insurance actually require a Medicare denial, when (if that is right) it obv knows this? I like @George M 's advice to do it concurrently.
What travel insurance is this? It does seem very slow.
Also, I am interested in this head twist thing. Does anyone have any info on that- sounds good to know about.
His travel insurance may not require a Medicare denial but I know from personal experience that the Medicare supplemental insurance, such as Blue Cross, will definitely want it, even though it's clear that Medicare does not cover out-of-country hospitalizations.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
His travel insurance may not require a Medicare denial but I know from personal experience that the Medicare supplemental insurance, such as Blue Cross, will definitely want it, even though it's clear that Medicare does not cover out-of-country hospitalizations.
You would think attaching a copy of the Medicare rules that state they don't cover this would be enough. Like when you make a normal travel insurance claim, it asks to include the refund policy of the airline. I understand double recovery is concerning but still.....
I'm still wondering about this head twist thing. I get seasick.

Status
Not open for further replies.