Anyone ever try to collect for severe pain & $ losses caused by ships doctor on Oceania?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We really do want to help this poster. However part of that in this case is getting him to get his claimed filed and if he needs help point him in the right direction. Very possibly somethings else is going on here but 1st things first. The clock is running down on his time to file the claim with Travel Insurance. We want him to get his money back and don't want him to damage his ability to do it.
So Medical Claim first and Oceania second! The issues from one will effect the other....

Aug 29, 2015
The process is start the travel insurance claim, file all the paperwork with primary insurance (assuming you bought secondary travel insurance) then continue with the travel insurance claim once the denial is received from primary.

TravelInsured from USAA is actually giving me a full year to submit all the documents from the incident we had.

May 30, 2016
Thats my question. Why didn't they just go to the ship store and buy dramamine? Thats what they use for it.
PLEASE We are not old feeble minded people here, the entire episode in that medical facility was all of 10-15 minutes....the a major problem was that I had two needles in me one drawing blood and the other hooked up to an IV almost instantly....we were scared from the get go and powerless once the guys and the gurney showed up....we were both screaming all the way down the gang plank and no one came to our rescue, most likely believing I had nervous breakdown etc. As for the Vertigo......because we were on a ship, we wanted the maneuver that
One last time, @RICHARD ZITSER, please furnish us a chronological list of events. Keep it concise and clear. We really want to help you but do not have the complete facts to do more than guess about your situation.
One last time, @RICHARD ZITSER, please furnish us a chronological list of events. Keep it concise and clear. We really want to help you but do not have the complete facts to do more than guess about your situation.
Not sure I am able to supply all the dates you want as it would take to much effort and I am truthful getting worn out, (this is not the only thing going on in my life unfortunately). the best I can do:

RICHARD Z's OCEANIA ISSUE
1 4-Jan board the ship

2 14-Jan ship doctor send me clinic
clinic doc send notice to shiip that I amnot seaworthy

3 15-Jan New doctor declares me seaworthy

4 16-Jan We begin our difficult trip to catch he ship

5 19-Jan we land in Benin

6 21-Jan we reboard the ship

7 28-Jan we send saga papers to Miami (date uncert.)

8 15-Feb Miami claims no responsibility (exact date ?)

9 10-Apr we arrive home and speak to Miami lawyers who want 40% which we agree
too.
10 23-May Miami lawyers deny our case saying Oceania is too big to sue! etc....

The only thing I can add is that we heard from Miami (customer service) again yesterday claiming the case is closed, do not send further requests to consider. This was in response to a letter I wrote to the President of the company, asking 'him' to look into this. I did send them both letter with the new "ISSUE" and telling them there is no doubt that there 'agents' were responsible for this event and costs there of.

corrects it and the dramamine or equivalent, is that too much to ask for?
The doctor knew what he was doing.....he was after his share from the clinic!!!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
@RICHARD ZITSER what happened to you is awful and please believe me when I say that the Advocates at Elliott.org really want to assist you get this resolved and also After the claim is processed find the best way to get this issue to Oceania for additional consideration.
Many of us here believe that something is not right (very fishy) with what appears to have happened to you at the clinic. Just based on Googling the doctor who runs the place.
But there are 2 completely different issues. First, to get your claim submitted and financially you can recover your expenses. Second, after the claims are paid or not Paid go to Oceania to get to the bottom of what in going on in their Medical Center and any connection to the Island clinic.

I am just so sorry any of this ever happened and hope to help you get the entire situation resolved.

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
@RICHARD ZITSER I strongly recommend when filing your claim with the travel insurance company you just stick to the medical services and invoices that are covered under your policy.

Do NOT offer your suspicions regarding the doctors or your self diagnosis of your problem. You need to stay clear of all thoughts and statements made here and just submit a straight medical claim without any commentary regarding fraud. You are "tainting" your claim and possibly making it very difficult to get paid.
Do Not offer any info not asked for.
Remember while you may have suspicions we do not have an investigation with the facts. As to your medical care, malpractice or below standards care is not necessarily fraud. Let's not give the Insurance Co a reason to not pay you.

Let's get your claim paid and then go to Oceania with a clearly laid out letter of what you believe happened.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@RICHARD ZITSER i strong recommend when filing your claim with the travel insurance company you just stick to the medical services and invoices that are covered under your policy.

Do NOT offer your suspicions regarding the doctors or your self diagnosis of your problem. You need to stay clear of all thoughts and statements made here and just submit a straight medical claim without any commentary regarding fraud. You are "tainting" your claim and possibly making it very difficult to get paid.
Remember while you may have suspicions we do not have an investigation with the facts. As to your medical care, malpractice or below standards care is not necessary fraud. Let's not give the Insurance Co a reason to not pay you.

Let's get your claim paid and then go to Oceania with a clearly laid out letter of what you believe happened.
This is excellent advice. You do not want to tip your hand that you think something was amiss because they'll deny the claim just based on that. You file stating that this is what the doctor ordered you to do. You had no choice but if you bring up anything other than the fact you want the bills paid, it may open the door for them to deny you.

But you only have a certain amount of time to get that claim in so don't waste anymore time right now on the other issue. You have two totally different problems - one is getting that bill paid by your travel insurance and the other is to get this possible scam looked at by Oceania. Your priority is the travel insurance right now.

May 30, 2016
@RICHARD ZITSER I strongly recommend when filing your claim with the travel insurance company you just stick to the medical services and invoices that are covered under your policy.

Remember while you may have suspicions we do not have an investigation with the facts. As to your medical care, malpractice or below standards care is not necessarily fraud. Let's not give the Insurance Co a reason to not pay you.

None of "Issues" we present to the Forum have be given or made to the insurance people. We just believe they might suspect the $ amounts for the treatment of Vertigo to be high!!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
None of "Issues" we present to the Forum have be given or made to the insurance people. We just believe they might suspect the $ amounts for the treatment of Vertigo to be high!!
You just need to play clueless. You say you think it's Vertigo and this Doctor says cardiac or stroke.

That's all anyone knows ;)

Mar 17, 2015
It should not matter, you have the CC statement with the charges. Most of the time, these are pretty well delineated so the insurance company should not be able to dispute the cost.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
It should not matter, you have the CC statement with the charges. Most of the time, these are pretty well delineated so the insurance company should not be able to dispute the cost.
Oh contrare.... They will be looking a itemized medical bills, medical records and medical codes. They will examine records and request still more records. Credit card stmts won't tell much from an underwriting standpoint ;)

Mar 17, 2015
Oh contrare.... They will be looking a itemized medical bills, medical records and medical codes. They will examine records and request still more records. Credit card stmts won't tell much from an underwriting standpoint ;)
Still proves he paid it. Or it was charged. Yes, the insurance company may want more info, but at least the CC statement proves it was charged.

Jun 8, 2016
I haven't found out much about Dr. Jorge Ayala - I believe he went to medical school in Puerto Rico and only has that license. Interestingly, only PR doesn't have a website to verify physician credentials and/or search for any actions against that license. On one website he was noted to a ship's doctor for Regent Cruises.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I do know that the Medical Center is operated and staffed thru a private vendor who specializes in placing MD's on cruiseships. The staff are suppose to be Emergency medicine type physicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.