Anyone ever try to collect for severe pain & $ losses caused by ships doctor on Oceania?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2016
So perhaps the "take home" lesson here is: don't go to the ship's doctor if you can possibly avoid it. Once they have a hold of you and can deem you "unseaworthy" you're screwed.

In my medical business experience, insurance companies main focus is selling you a policy and then making every effort to pay out as little as possible. America is one of the few places on Earth where you can get good quality medical care without forking over your credit card immediately.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
So perhaps the "take home" lesson here is: don't go to the ship's doctor if you can possibly avoid it. Once they have a hold of you and can deem you "unseaworthy" you're screwed.

In my medical business experience, insurance companies main focus is selling you a policy and then making every effort to pay out as little as possible. America is one of the few places on Earth where you can get good quality medical care without forking over your credit card immediately.
I would agree that unless you have a very serious situation I would avoid the Ships Doctor like the plague! Something does seem to be amiss with this situation.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
FILE THE CLAIM!!! They will probably help you on the phone. Type out a 3 sentence narrative and bring it to your bank to be notarized. THEY WILL EVEN MAIL IT FOR YOU. Please, you have a claim, you can collect. Get it in.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Th

thank god this guy has insurance though bc I don't see reimbursement happening any other way. In the Carib, you don't need an actual script. They will fill for you based on an empty bottle, a print out from your health insurance and certainly from a phone call from your doctor in the states.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
At this point 4 pages later we don't know if the TI came thru the Oceania offered or if the Agent sold them one of their policies. We know zero about the type of coverage the LW purchased.

And 4 or 5 months later no claim has been filed? Who does that??

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Yes, you do have to provide proof that your insurance company didn't honor the claim. Maybe that is what is holding him up?
I don't believe he has submitted anything to any one. I suspect he may be overwhelmed by the forms and not knowing where to start.

He really needs to call the insurance company and see if someone can't try and walk him thru it. Or maybe a family member. However the more he screams fraud the more likely the insurance company is to not want to pay. He needs to get reimbursed first and deal with Oceania afterwards.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Time is of the essence here with the travel insurance claim. If he waits too long they will automatically deny it. Every policy has a certain time frame to fine so Richard, please get that paperwork in. You don't have too long to do so.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't think the $10k spent on this scam is the most important issue in this debacle. This poor couple were terribly abused and Oceania did nothing for them. In fact, Oceania supported their unethical ship's doctor. Their "pain and suffering" and inconvenience and PTSD - that's real. If this were me, I'd be so F#%*!"@ mad that I would be seeking every avenue of justice to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think the $10k spent on this scam is the most important issue in this debacle. This poor couple were terribly abused and Oceania did nothing for them. In fact, Oceania supported their unethical ship's doctor. Their "pain and suffering" and inconvenience and PTSD - that's real. If this were me, I'd be so F#%*!"@ mad that I would be seeking every avenue of justice to prevent this from happening to anyone else.
I agree but if this is a scam the treatment is a direct result of this scam. I am hoping that Oceania will take this seriously because this can continue to happen to others if no one reports this. He can possibly get more than what the indurance doesn't cover if he finds the right people at Oceania.

The biggest issue is he needs to get that travel insurance claim filed IMMEDIATELY. If he waits too long, it will be denied just based on the fact he waited beyond the allowable claim date.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Frankly until the medical clinic and the ships Doctor are looked into we are only guessing. We have no proof just a very upset passenger and his not very clear story.

That whole situation needs to be investigated. Oceania received an incoherent 6 page letter and did what most cruise lines would do. Rolled the eyes and threw it in the trash.

File the claim. Write and clear and concise 1 to 1 1/2 page letter with the facts only. Maybe then Oceania may understand there really may be a serious issue and look into what happened. Their passenger contract pretty much protects them as the Dr is an outside vendor.

Medicare does not cover anyone outside the US.
That's true but some Medicare Supplements, plan C and plan F, do cover expenses incurred while traveling. In order to be reimbursed you have to show your supplemental insurer that you've first been denied by Medicare. My significant other was hospitalized in Spain. She had to educate our local Blue Cross company as to exactly what was covered because, apparently, they'd never had anyone make a claim for overseas treatment before (or pretended they hadn't). It took a while but she was successful in getting reimbursement for almost all of her out-of-pocket expenses.

Nov 20, 2015
This gentleman admitted that he screwed up by going to the ship's doctor when he really didn't need to. Does it do any good to continue rubbing his nose in it (as 2 posters have done today)? Does it serve the purposes of this forum? Does it encourage posters to return for help? My answer to those posters and the several others who "liked" those posts is "no".

As a separate issue, I'd like to iterate my feelings about the OP "complying" with the treatment and referral plan of the ship's doctor. The OP new something was amiss. He tried to nip things in the bud by arranging a phone conference between his personal physician and the on board physician.

The ship's doc says" I don't feel comfortable allowing you to continue your cruise without further tests to rule out something serious. Don't worry, I'm going to send you to this clinic where you'll get checked out quickly, then you can enjoy the rest of your cruise."

The doctor had the power to keep him off the ship. He couldn't get a second opinion on board, so he went along with the invasive treatment and the "easy" trip to the clinic. As a physician, I have run across many patients who accept whatever another doctor recommends, despite strong misgivings on their part. Maybe some of us would have stood our ground, but I don't blame him for making the decisions he did.

Jun 8, 2016
Ditto CCGormand ... I don't think folks should be so critical of this poor chap who no doubt initially felt the ship's doctor meant well. I'm sure this passenger didn't think the trail would lead where it did!
It is most upsetting to me, however, to see a physician abuse his/her power - or be a part of a scam - and that's what this looks like.
Oceania needs to step up and squash this problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.