Any resolution for a major Jeep warranty issue?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 22, 2019
In September 2018, I bought a new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 EcoDiesel Overland. Had no issues with it until June 12, 2019 in the middle of a 7-day road trip from California to Texas. The vehicle broke down inexplicably on the highway with 23K miles and would not restart, and ended up having to be towed to the dealership in Roswell, NM.

Since then I've been in touch with the FCA Warranty team to try and get my car fixed. It's been 6 weeks with no resolution; the car is still at the dealership (finally got shipped to a local San Antonio TX dealership from Roswell).

FCA says the engine is shot and issue is covered under manufacturer's warranty. However, there is a national backlog on the engine and they've given no timeline on the fix. They are also unresponsive and difficult to reach. I've been told that a supervisor would contact me on several occasions and have heard nothing.

I would like a replacement vehicle or a buyback offer since the vehicle will likely be out of commission for 2 months or more. However, they say they cannot do a cash offer. I'm also awaiting reimbursement on $2500 paid out of pocket for rental car and hotel fees when my car broke down.

Looking for assistance on the best course of action here. Would my car be covered under a California lemon law since it's been in the shop for 30+ days? I am currently looking into pursuing an arbitration claim with the CDSP but I don't know if that's the best course of action. Is this worth pursuing legal action?

Apr 10, 2017
Can you get the dealership to rent a car for you? My sister in law just took her Hyundai in and has to have the engine replaced under a recall issue. The dealership is providing her with a free car rental until the car is ready, which they estimate will take a month.
The engine in my husband's Volvo had to be replaced while it was still under warranty. The repair took about 3 weeks and the dealership gave him a free loaner for that entire time.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Can you get the dealership to rent a car for you? My sister in law just took her Hyundai in and has to have the engine replaced under a recall issue. The dealership is providing her with a free car rental until the car is ready, which they estimate will take a month.
Just a warning: if you do get a loaner or rental through the dealer, make sure you get all of the papers that go with the loaner or rental. We have a recent case of a rental through a dealer where the OP did not get any paperwork with the rental and the rental agency essentially tried to extort them for damages caused by a subsequent rental. After obtaining the paperwork that should have been provided at the time of the rental, the charges were dropped, but needless aggravation ensued before the charges were dropped. Treat a loaner or dealer supplied rental like any other and get ALL of the paperwork.

Jul 22, 2019
The lemon law attorney is a good recommendation! I found some based in California that are contingency based and will be looking into contacting them tomorrow.

I've kept a fairly solid paper trail so far. My current warranty case manager is pretty much 100% non-responsive; she has never directly responded to any of my emails. When I noticed the pattern I started taking notes of our phone conversations and emailing them to her after the fact (she hasn't responded to those either). I've also started taking a log of my attempted calls, as I've only been able to reach her once on the phone (she doesn't answer my calls, just calls 50% of the time on the day she promises to). I do have an email from a different case manager stating that full reimbursement will be provided (hotel, food, gas, rental). I'm currently in a rental car with all the receipts itemized. I've also compiled a timeline of events so that I can relay them to the attorney when/if necessary.

Does it make sense to send a synopsis of this to a senior executive? I was thinking it might help to reach out to Steven Beahm, Head of Parts & Service, FCA. I don't want to skip the chain of command, but feel like there is no assistance, period, at this level. Otherwise I'll just plan on the lemon law litigation route.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The lemon law attorney is a good recommendation! I found some based in California that are contingency based and will be looking into contacting them tomorrow.

I've kept a fairly solid paper trail so far. My current warranty case manager is pretty much 100% non-responsive; she has never directly responded to any of my emails. When I noticed the pattern I started taking notes of our phone conversations and emailing them to her after the fact (she hasn't responded to those either). I've also started taking a log of my attempted calls, as I've only been able to reach her once on the phone (she doesn't answer my calls, just calls 50% of the time on the day she promises to). I do have an email from a different case manager stating that full reimbursement will be provided (hotel, food, gas, rental). I'm currently in a rental car with all the receipts itemized. I've also compiled a timeline of events so that I can relay them to the attorney when/if necessary.

Does it make sense to send a synopsis of this to a senior executive? I was thinking it might help to reach out to Steven Beahm, Head of Parts & Service, FCA. I don't want to skip the chain of command, but feel like there is no assistance, period, at this level. Otherwise I'll just plan on the lemon law litigation route.
If you have not escalated your case beyond your case non-manger, you should not waste your time with an attorney. You need to follow the directions in post #3 first. Consulting an attorney now will likely cost YOU more money.

Also, do not pursue this on the phone. Insist on written (email) communications.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just a warning: if you do get a loaner or rental through the dealer, make sure you get all of the papers that go with the loaner or rental. We have a recent case of a rental through a dealer where the OP did not get any paperwork with the rental and the rental agency essentially tried to extort them for damages caused by a subsequent rental. After obtaining the paperwork that should have been provided at the time of the rental, the charges were dropped, but needless aggravation ensued before the charges were dropped. Treat a loaner or dealer supplied rental like any other and get ALL of the paperwork.
Good point. You would of course follow all the recommendations in this thread:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-protect-yourself-when-renting-a-car.1314/