Another Samsung Fridge Nightmare

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 28, 2019
Toronto
I purchased a Samsung french door fridge in September 2017, and the compressor died 11 months later. It was still under warranty and Samsung had it replaced. The problem is that this previously quiet fridge has been making loud vibration noises ever since. There appears to be 2 sources of noise. One is the compressor itself or maybe the frame it sits on - this is the lesser of the two noises. The other is the removable plate at the back of the fridge. The plate was removed to replace the compressor and, since the new piping extends beyond the rear of the fridge, the repairman bent the plate outward so it would fit back on. This plate regularly makes a very loud vibration noise that is very disruptive since our kitchen is open to our sitting room which is our "quiet place" for reading.

So I have a noisy fridge that was very quiet until Samsung repaired it under warranty, and yet they don't seem able to fix it.

After several more contacts with Samsung, they eventually dispatched an engineer. His solution was to jam paper between the plate and the fridge to muffle the noise, and then he took a decibel reading and left. I subsequently received an email saying the noise meets specs. This "Samsung engineered solution" did not last a week before the vibration noise returned.

So I still have a noisy fridge that was very quiet until Samsung repaired it under warranty, and yet they are not accepting any responsibility for the issue.

I escalated through the ranks and, after contacting their CEO, Tim Baxter, I received an email (not from him, someone else) saying "This lines are to inform you that Samsung offers you a refund for your unit model: RF23HCEDBSR/AA serial: 0ALT4BBJ801659D and for that purpose we are requiring a copy of unit’s the bill of sales /receipt.".

I was overjoyed to learn that Samsung had finally accepted responsibility and I would get this issue resolved.

I email'd the receipt right away thinking I was getting a full refund and would be able to buy a new, quiet fridge. Imagine my surprise when 8 days later, I received the following: "We hereby to inform you that Samsung is offering you $1406,33 (tax included) in prorated refund for your unit model...". That's 60% of the cost of the fridge. Not feeling overjoyed any more - I am retired and trying to survive on my meagre pension. I can accept that if the issue is my fault but it is clearly theirs and I want the fridge fixed at their expense. A a replacement fridge would be better offer and I imagine their cost to provide a replacement fridge is not any more than the refund they have offered.

To add salt to the wound, they insist that they pick up their fridge (at their expense) before issuing the refund. Since I can't be without a fridge, this means I must buy a new fridge at my expense, get it installed and somehow store their fridge in my small house until they send a truck to pick it up. Also, I must "ensure the defective unit is completely uninstalled and ready for pick up when contacted by carrier" and then I must wait for a refund to be issued "after confirming the defective unit has been received at our warehouse"

So I still have a noisy fridge that was very quiet until Samsung repaired it under warranty, and yet they offer only 60% of the purchase price along with extremely inconvenient conditions that I must endure.

Samsung has consistently let me down through this entire experience in spite of their claims that "We deeply value your loyalty to Samsung and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best". If that is their very best, I can't imagine what their worst is like.

Jul 27, 2018
Reply that since the fridge was virtually new when it failed and that their repair damaged it, they owe you a full refund (tax and delivery included) or a new fridge (delivery of the new fridge and removal of the old fridge included).

Feb 12, 2019
You can buy a perfectly nice refrigerator for a lot less than $1,400. Take the money and buy a Whirlpool.
My entire kitchen is Samsung - and I paid the same amount as the OP did for everything! Maybe they got a super high-tech one? Mine's just a normal french door with water/ice dispenser.

Mar 28, 2019
Toronto
Did you pay with a credit card that offers enhanced warranty protection?
Unfortunately, I bought it from TASCO who don't accept a credit card unless you pay the extra 3%
Reply that since the fridge was virtually new when it failed and that their repair damaged it, they owe you a full refund (tax and delivery included) or a new fridge (delivery of the new fridge and removal of the old fridge included).
Trying that now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 28, 2019
Toronto
Isn't it a sad state of affairs that this is the quality of appliances we pay thousands of dollars for?

We have company contacts for Samsung. Have you tried going up the corporate ladder?

This is how to escalate:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Yes, I have escalated up to Tim Baxter, President & CEO, but my emails were never answered by him, so they may have gone to the executive customer care department which I had already dealt with. This website was extremely helpful in providing email addresses and "how to complain" information..

Mar 28, 2019
Toronto
My entire kitchen is Samsung - and I paid the same amount as the OP did for everything! Maybe they got a super high-tech one? Mine's just a normal french door with water/ice dispenser.
Sorry, I should have explained that I am from Canada so the exchange rate accounts for our price differences.