Another Reason to Purchase Insurance and a great customer service story!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2015
It finally happened, I have to use the trip insurance I purchased. I was all packed and ready to go on my trip and received the call that grandma had passed. I had checked into the hotel, the flight, had made multiple arrangements for the destination city and then could not go. Instead of hopping on the plane the next morning, I was in the car on the way to her house. I had purchased trip insurance, so at least the financial aspects of losing out on a trip were covered. It is bad enough dealing with grief/ some other emergency, that it was such a blessing that I had planned ahead and purchased trip insurance as at least I was not out lots of money and no trip.

And for the shout out for the best customer service and a company doing something they did not have to. I had checked into the Marriott at Metro Center DC through the mobile app earlier that evening. However, did not arrive the next day. I had cancelled as well later the same evening I checked in, but Marriott called me later in the week wanting to know if everything was OK and to see why I had not checked in as planned. I had a 7 night stay, pre-paid nonrefundable room (it was significantly cheaper and I had trip insurance). The gentleman on the phone, after I told him what happened, immediately offered his condolences and said that he would refund my stay immediately. I received a confirmation of the refund within a few minutes and a few days later, sure enough, the credit on my credit card. I was covered by trip insurance either way, but think that Marriott deserves a shout out for great customer service. Plus, instead of waiting on trip insurance reimbursement, I have an immediate credit.

Sep 26, 2017
Tanya, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your grandma...I was heartbroken when mine passed. Kudos to Marriott! It was great that they went ahead and refunded your stay...that's one less issue to deal with from your trip insurance!