An Inacurrate Itinerary cost us $3000 - Expedia did attempt to notify and we forgot to call back

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 20, 2019
Here is the letter I sent Expedia and am awaiting a response. What do you think?

On April 4, 2019, I purchased round trip tickets from Toronto, Ontario to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island through Expedia.

I vaguely remember that a short time after booking the trip, I received a phone call from Expedia. However, I was unable to take the call and advised I would call back. I then forgot to call back.

A few weeks later I realized I had not called back. I note Expedia's email to me when I first purchased the trip states this:
Please review your trip details below. You can also view your itinerary online for the most up-to-date information.

I immediately went online to check my account at Expedia.ca to ensure everything was in order for my upcoming two trips. I carefully reviewed my itineraries but did not see any issues or that any action was required. Everything in my itineraries was indicated as "confirmed."

Unbeknownst to me at the time, Westjet cancelled our August 17 flight home to Toronto. We showed up at the airport on Saturday August 17 as our itinerary indicated only to learn the flight we had supposedly been booked on by the airline was on August 16, 2019. Expedia customer service ultimately offered me a $200 coupon because they said I did not return their call months earlier.

We ended up driving to Fredericton, New Brunswick where the lowest cost flight was at 5am the following day. Our costs were just under $3000, and we did everything we could to mitigate them.

Conclusion

I understand that I forgot to call Expedia back. But I did review my online account to see if anything was amiss, which Expedia's email tells me to check for the most "up to date information." The Itinerary stated that the flights were confirmed in green letters at all material times.

Please address our costs of just under $3000. I have been an Expedia customer for many years and have consistently booked all my trips with you. I note your company standards of honesty and being customer-centric. I have a child with special needs and every bit of our income counts towards his therapy and other services.

I was advised by customer service that I should have received an email but cannot locate such an email.

Thank you for reading. I hope that bringing this issue to your attention will help prevent future such instances. I suggest that any issues with itineraries should be flagged as such in the itinerary, the master reference document.

I will await a response within 10 days before seeking third-party assistance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m sorry to say this isn’t Expedia’s fault. The fact they called you amazes me because they usually only send an email. It also isn’t their responsibility since you didn’t call them back.

Did you do your online check in the night before on both flights? You would have caught it and could have contacted Expedia right away to try and rebook you.

My only suggestion is to use our company contacts to move up the executive chain at Expedia. I don’t tho l a third party can do anything for you- Expedia did nothing wrong. And if you write to them do not threaten them with “a third party” because hey will let their Legal Department handle it.

You made the mistake and now need to do what we call “artful begging” and admit our mistake and ask of an exception can be made for a possible credit for future use. Ask them why the itinerary online didn’t show the flight canceled.

Jan 6, 2015
You articulated well until the en . . .

"I have a child with special needs and every bit of our income counts towards his therapy and other services"​
While this is significant to you (as it should be), it is not relevant to the matter at hand. Let the facts speak for themselves​
"I will await a response within 10 days before seeking third-party assistance"​
You are, in essence, threatening them with legal recourse, which runs counter to successful negotiation (at least here it does). Always be nice . . .​

Sep 19, 2015
Did you ever try to check in online with westjet

Could the old itinerary have been showing as they waited for an approval of the itinerary? Do you have screenshots of the old itinerary?

Jan 6, 2015
Look at the OP's username. If your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail.
Yes, I saw already. But it does not matter. In the beginning stages of negotiations, it is advised on Elliot.org not to use threats. Typically, that language ends all negotiation as executives will turn things over to the lawyers.

Of course, all of our guests can plot their own course. However, she asked and I advised . . .

Aug 20, 2019
Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. Any other insight how if you do exactly what a company tells you to do in checking your flight info this does not constitute negligence on the part of the company if the info is inaccurate and you rely on it to your detriment?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It seems you are looking for legal advice and that we don’t offer.

Had you called them back you might not have been in the situation you are in. We are here to guide you to the company to try and resolve an issue but if you are intent on suing- which from your questions and user name it seems like that’s what you are looking for- you need to contact an attorney.

Aug 20, 2019
I'm really not intent on suing, I just feel like there is a balance between making sure it is clear that a company did not fulfill its end of the bargain and "Artful begging" as you say. The posts above make it sound as though I'm completely in the wrong, but I still can't see how that's possible and i don't know if me capitulating entirely to suggest that I am entirely in the wrong is at all sound advice because I really don't think that's true. There's clearly an opinion that I am all in the wrong as a trend here and I'm having trouble understanding why that's the case and why you feel that's the case given their clear instruction to look at the itinerary for up to date info! It doesn't say "call the airline" and it doesn't say "call us" - it says check your itinerary. That to me just can't be any clearer... But I want to understand the other perspectives.

Aug 20, 2019
I'm really not intent on suing, I just feel like there is a balance between making sure it is clear that a company did not fulfill its end of the bargain and "Artful begging" as you say. The posts above make it sound as though I'm completely in the wrong, but I still can't see how that's possible and i don't know if me capitulating entirely to suggest that I am entirely in the wrong is at all sound advice because I really don't think that's true. There's clearly an opinion that I am all in the wrong as a trend here and I'm having trouble understanding why that's the case and why you feel that's the case given their clear instruction to look at the itinerary for up to date info! It doesn't say "call the airline" and it doesn't say "call us" - it says check your itinerary. That to me just can't be any clearer... But I want to understand the other perspectives.
what do you think about disputing the charge through Visa? Does anyone have experience with this?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You shouldn’t dispute the charge because you took the first flight and Expedia sold you legitimate tickets at the time. Did Expedia refund you the price of the return ticket? That should have been done. You will most likely lose the dispute.

I think that you have a legitimate complaint if Expedia never updated your itinerary if you logged into the booking. But I don’t see them reimbursing you for the full ticket because they did try to contact you. Try and negotiate more.

Aug 20, 2019
You shouldn’t dispute the charge because you took the first flight and Expedia sold you legitimate tickets at the time. Did Expedia refund you the price of the return ticket? That should have been done. You will most likely lose the dispute.

I think that you have a legitimate complaint if Expedia never updated your itinerary if you logged into the booking. But I don’t see them reimbursing you for the full ticket because they did try to contact you. Try and negotiate more.
I did log into the booking several times before the trip and between the time they called me and the trip, as instructed...

Jan 6, 2015
Speaking only for myself, I offered only my input on the ending of your email to them. Other than that, I think you acted responsibly per their instructions and should receive some compensation . . .

Sep 19, 2015
Do you have any screenshots etc showing that the wrong schedule persisted for a long period of time? That would help your argument.

Westjet has a number of 737-Max airplanes. Once the airline realized that the grounding was not a short time issue -- ie the quick software update -- schedules and planes started being shuffled in April for the summer season. That may have been why there was a change.

Was the flight completely cancelled -- ie the flight number does not exist on that day or was the plane downsized?

It would probably be helpful if the tone of the letter had a sense of shared responsibility.

Doing a chargeback is a dreadful idea. The outbound was taken, and you were a no show for the return. Also does the charge come from Expedia or Westjet?

Was the letter posted here already sent? If so, when?

Aug 20, 2019
Do you have any screenshots etc showing that the wrong schedule persisted for a long period of time? That would help your argument.

Westjet has a number of 737-Max airplanes. Once the airline realized that the grounding was not a short time issue -- ie the quick software update -- schedules and planes started being shuffled in April for the summer season. That may have been why there was a change.

Was the flight completely cancelled -- ie the flight number does not exist on that day or was the plane downsized?

It would probably be helpful if the tone of the letter had a sense of shared responsibility.

Doing a chargeback is a dreadful idea. The outbound was taken, and you were a no show for the return. Also does the charge come from Expedia or Westjet?

Was the letter posted here already sent? If so, when?
The wrong schedule persisted THE ENTIRE TIME the moment the return flight was cancelled in June right up until this day. to this day, the itinerary lists a flight THAT DOES NOT EXIST. I'm not yelling just emphasizing words, lol. The flight did not exist since like May, but is STILL on the itinerary TODAY.

Aug 20, 2019
The wrong schedule persisted THE ENTIRE TIME the moment the return flight was cancelled in June right up until this day. to this day, the itinerary lists a flight THAT DOES NOT EXIST. I'm not yelling just emphasizing words, lol. The flight did not exist since like May, but is STILL on the itinerary TODAY.
Also the change came from westjet presumably but i was not told because booked through expedia.

Aug 20, 2019
Did you check in a the airline's website 24 hours before your flight?
No, but that to me was not part of my "deal" with expedia because they clearly state to check my itinerary. And I didn't get an email from the airline to do early check in for my first flight either. So I don't see how that is relevant but please let me know. Yes, that would have allowed me to know if the flight was cancelled but I was relying on expedia because that's what I paid them for. I could have bought the tickets through the airline, obviously, and then would have relied on them. That's how I see it?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Also the change came from westjet presumably but i was not told because booked through expedia.
And that’s the problem using a third party- you don’t get notifications directly. This is why we advise to book directly.

Are you an attorney? Your screen name indicates you might be.

Did you receive a refund on your credit card if the amount you paid for the Westjet flight?