AMX Serve SCAM-FRAUDULENT charges total $1500, AMX keeps denying my claims

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 23, 2019
This is long, but PLEASE read it, I need help!!
On November 18th I received a text from “American Express Serve Fraud Alert” It asked me if I was attempting to make a purchase at an Apple store in Dadeland, FL in the amount of $1336.43. Said press “1” for yes or “2” for no, I immediately pressed “2”, I’m in TX. I logged on to check my account, which I did earlier that day because I just received a deposit, almost $1500 earlier, checked it after I got the text message...$0.00. ZERO Along with THREE other transactions, all in FL, a gas station, a restaurant, Macy’s and Apple store. All with “pending” status. I immediately called customer service and told them I need help that my account had been hacked and all my $ was gone. Loooong story made kind of short...All 4 transactions cleared through my account, money is completely gone. I filed a claim, did EVERYTHING they asked of me and sent proof of everything, I STILL HAD MY CARD, I was never in FL, 10 business days later I get an email saying DENIED. I called, asked to speak to a supervisor, blah blah they are full of crap, I asked for my case to be re-opened and asked why the charges were still approved when I denied them upon notification. His response, “on our end it says you approved the charges” UH no sir, I did not, I sent him a screen shot of my text, clearly choosing option “2” to decline transaction, he then puts me on hold for about 15 minutes and comes back with, “I will send this to my supervisor and someone will be in contact”. I never heard from anyone, meanwhile, I resubmit my SECOND claim, 10 business days later, email that says DENIED. How is this possible? It seems like it’s an INSIDE job to me. It’s very obvious it was fraud, they were all IN-STORE purchases in FL, I gave proof that I was in TX at my job at the time of purchases, and I still had my card in MY possession. It’s INSANE to me that they can deny me my money back. Told me I can HAND WRITE a letter and mail it to a dept. to find out the reason why it was denied, said there was not a “phone system” or direct line to that dept. ARE YOU SERIOUS?? This is my school money, I’m 35 years old, mother of 4 and went back to school a year ago. I set this account up specifically for my school tuition. I desperately need my money back. Who can I contact that could HONESTLY help me? They can’t just deny someone their money back with all the proof I have of it not being me. I have tried emailing “higher chain” contacts listed on other posts and I receive a “mailer-daemon” reply. I have my detailed timeline of everything from start to finish, I just need a good contact email to send it to. Or if you have other suggestions, I’m open to trying anything.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I recommend you appeal in writing using the contacts on this site. But before you do, a word of advice. Do not use language like:
they are full of crap​
seems like it’s an INSIDE job to me​
You may have been just venting here, but if you include these (and others like them) in your emails to AMEX corporate it could do harm to your case.

I'm also going to suggest a bulleted list similar to this:
  • On November 18th I received a text from “American Express Serve Fraud Alert”
  • Said press “1” for yes or “2” for no whether I was attempting to make a purchase at an Apple store in Dadeland, FL
  • I immediately pressed “2”, and logged on to check my account, wa zero after I had just received a deposit of almost $1500
  • There were also three other transactions, all in FL, a gas station, a restaurant, Macy’s and Apple store - all with “pending” status
  • I filed a claim, and 10 business days later I received an email saying DENIED
  • I called and was advised that “on our end it says you approved the charges”. I then asked for my case to be re-opened
  • I also sent him a screen shot of my text, clearly choosing option “2” to decline, plus proof that I was in TX at my job at the time of purchases
  • After a 15 minute hold, he states “I will send this to my supervisor and someone will be in contact”
  • I never heard from anyone, so I resubmitted my claim, and 10 business days later received another email that says DENIED
  • This is money I had set aside for school tuition. I am 35 years old, a mother of 4, and went back to school a year ago.
  • I am respectfully requesting a different card with a $1500 balance.
I appreciate your help, and can provide any proof you require upon request

If you have not done so already, you can escalate this in writing.

Some do's and don'ts when writing
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts* shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-express/
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

* email domain should be @americanexpress.com

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018
Not sure about this, but would it be helpful to file a police report? If you have proof that you were in Texas when these purchases were made (especially the gas station and restaurant), and the CC company is refusing to look at it/give it proper consideration, perhaps a police report would steer them in the right direction.

Dec 23, 2019
I recommend you appeal in writing using the contacts on this site. But before you do, a word of advice. Do not use language like:
they are full of crap​
seems like it’s an INSIDE job to me​
You may have been just venting here, but if you include these (and others like them) in you emails to AMEX corporate it could do harm to your case.

I'm also going to suggest a bulleted list similar to this:
  • On November 18th I received a text from “American Express Serve Fraud Alert”
  • Said press “1” for yes or “2” for no whether I was attempting to make a purchase at an Apple store in Dadeland, FL
  • I immediately pressed “2”, and logged on to check my account, wa zero after I had just received a deposit of almost $1500
  • There were also three other transactions, all in FL, a gas station, a restaurant, Macy’s and Apple store - all with “pending” status
  • I filed a claim, and 10 business days later I received an email saying DENIED
  • I called and was advised that “on our end it says you approved the charges”. I then asked for my case to be re-opened
  • I also sent him a screen shot of my text, clearly choosing option “2” to decline, plus proof that I was in TX at my job at the time of purchases
  • After a 15 minute hold, he states “I will send this to my supervisor and someone will be in contact”
  • I never heard from anyone, so I resubmitted my claim, and 10 business days later received another email that says DENIED
  • This is money I had set aside for school tuition. I am 35 years old, a mother of 4, and went back to school a year ago.
  • I am respectfully requesting a different card with a $1500 balance.
I appreciate your help, and can provide any proof you require upon request

If you have not done so already, you can escalate this in writing.

Some do's and don'ts when writing
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-express/
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level
Thank you for your reply...I was indeed venting when I posted this thread. I have a bullet list including the details of events and they do not include the “emotions” I feel towards the thief or company. It’s just so frustrating when you rely on someone to have your back in situations like this and they respond like this. Your advice is much appreciated!

Dec 23, 2019
Not sure about this, but would it be helpful to file a police report? If you have proof that you were in Texas when these purchases were made (especially the gas station and restaurant), and the CC company is refusing to look at it/give it proper consideration, perhaps a police report would steer them in the right direction.
I did try to file a police report BUT whoever went shopping at my expense must have recreated a card with my account info. I had my one and only card with me at the time of purchases, I called each merchant on my own to try to get info on the transactions. They tried to search it with the last 4 digits of my card and could not find anything, then tried to search by the dollar amount spent and was unsuccessful with that as well. I figured filing a police report would be easy and with them being in store purchases they could easily track down the exact sale with time stamp on receipt and so on but I don’t know enough info to give them since the card number isn’t the same. The transactions show in my account when I log on just like all my other ones do, except the location being in FL, you would think if it was a different card number it would look different? All 4 merchants came up with nothing though when searching with the only card number on my account.

Jun 24, 2019
Our OP should file a police report, and be insistent with the police in getting the report filed.

Most police agencies view the "victim" of these crimes as the banks and credit card companies, so OP should press that OP is the victim as of now because Amex refuses to credit back the stolen funds, as well as to stress that the crime occurred, in part, in OP's home town.

In addition, most police and prosecutors will not pursue identity theft cases because they cross jurisdictional lines, often by a great distance. Our OP is in Texas, and the crime took place, in part, in Florida. Pursuing an investigation over a non-violent loss of $1500 may be thought of by police/prosecutors as not being worth pursuing, as opposed to identity theft where all relevant facts occurred in the same jurisdiction and where the distant bank/credit card company is not the victim.

Having said that, I was a witness once in a federal criminal case involving credit card fraud in suburban Detroit. The defendants pled out the day I was to fly to Detroit to testify. Defense counsel called me to ask if I was coming, and I noted to them, truthfully, that as a partner in a Detroit-based business, I was fully prepared to hang out at my Detroit office two blocks from the courthouse to testify against his clients. I then promptly reported the call to the AUSA handling the case. In that case, the credit card companies, particularly Citicards, were the victims. I was not out any money.

Dec 23, 2019
It doesn’t matter that it was done on another card or card number- you can still file a police report. Your identity was stolen.

We had a similar case that was fixed after the writer used our contacts.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/a...timizing-customers-who-have-been-hacked.8797/
I read through the post you mentioned, that gives me hope that this will be resolved in my favor. I looked at the list on AMX contacts provided through this website and started at the top of the list as recommended. I sent an email with the details of my case in bullet form, I immediately received a “mailed daemon” response. Is there maybe an updated list somewhere I could use?

Oct 10, 2015
I would suggest writing (using paper and regular mail) following the format of a typical dispute as outlines on the back of a credit card bill. Just give the disputed transactions and disputed dollar amounts. Just say you did not make those transactions. If the store or merchant was some distance away then you can add that you were not in that town on that day. Do not suggest how the charges got made, namely do not suggest insider information. You should say that your card was not lost or stolen (if it was not) but do not suggest that someone copied your card.

Is this card a gift card or a (una) "tarjeta prepagada" or something like that?

Gift card hacking fraud abounds. It is not safe to "put money on a card" to save up for something such as college tuition.

Also I would consider "press 1 to approve" or similar automated phone banking methods as being too error prone. It is too easy to accidentally press 1 when you meant to press 2, for example.

Yes, it makes sense to file a police report in timely fashion. This at least cuts down on he said she said arguments long after the fact.

Feb 3, 2019
Amex Serve is a prepaid debit card (which is the American English term for "(una) tarjeta prepagada" as in your post). The account is a standalone not linked to a bank account.

There are many complaints here from other Serve customers whose accounts have been hacked or who've had other issues that caused their money to disappear or become inaccessible to them. While Serve may be the only workable option for those who can't open a bank account for some reason, it is not a true replacement for a bank account.

Apr 23, 2018
What am I missing here? Amex properly requested the card owner to confirm whether the charges were legit. She immediately responded they weren't. She has a screen shot showing she entered the correct response option. Amex then processed the charges anyway. A simple letter stating this fact to the correct Amex official should resolve the issue. She has more than enough additional proof to claim that Amex is in the wrong here. The bottom line is that she followed Amex's procedure for validating/denying charges and Amex shouldn't waste any more of her time; they should return her money. That is, of course, if I'm not missing something here.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What am I missing here? Amex properly requested the card owner to confirm whether the charges were legit. She immediately responded they weren't. She has a screen shot showing she entered the correct response option. Amex then processed the charges anyway. A simple letter stating this fact to the correct Amex official should resolve the issue. She has more than enough additional proof to claim that Amex is in the wrong here. The bottom line is that she followed Amex's procedure for validating/denying charges and Amex shouldn't waste any more of her time; they should return her money. That is, of course, if I'm not missing something here.
This isn’t the first time we saw something like this happen and it took the consumer going to the CFPB to get the bank to go back and find in favor of the consumer. It’s a mystery to me as to why this has to be done.

To our OP- when you use our company contacts- ask them for their “proof” that they claim they used to determine there was no fraud.

Dec 23, 2019
That is exactly what happened! I showed proof of the text message I received from the fraud dept showing I declined the transaction and I also showed proof of my log in at my place of employment which is in TX and the in-store transactions were in FL. My case has been denied twice. It’s currently re-opened a third time at my request. I will keep re-opening it if they keep declining and closing it, as long as I can. I have emailed two contacts listed on this web page for executives at AMX but both have been returned as “unknown user”. I’m looking for updated contacts, if anyone has any info on that I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried emailing Allison Romano and Pascale Hutz, both are unknown email addresses.

Dec 23, 2019
I would suggest writing (using paper and regular mail) following the format of a typical dispute as outlines on the back of a credit card bill. Just give the disputed transactions and disputed dollar amounts. Just say you did not make those transactions. If the store or merchant was some distance away then you can add that you were not in that town on that day. Do not suggest how the charges got made, namely do not suggest insider information. You should say that your card was not lost or stolen (if it was not) but do not suggest that someone copied your card.

Gift card hacking fraud abounds. It is not safe to "put money on a card" to save up for something such as college tuition.

Also I would consider "press 1 to approve" or similar automated phone banking methods as being too error prone. It is too easy to accidentally press 1 when you meant to press 2, for example.

Yes, it makes sense to file a police report in timely fashion. This at least cuts down on he said she said arguments long after the fact.
it is not a gift card, it is I guess a “payroll” card, direct deposit account. I have the money I use for my school tuition deposited into this account, to keep separate from my everyday finances account, which is with a different bank. I set it up this way to make things easier for me personally, I set it up 2 semesters ago and have had no problems until now.
There shouldn’t be any “he said she said”, I have proven multiple times, multiple different ways, that they (AMX) asked for, that I did not make these transactions. I offered, in both of my declaration of Fraud statement forms, offered to submit VIDEO surveillance of me at my job in TX, I work at a public school, there is video of me in the school on the day of the transactions, day before, day after, and every other day if they needed it for proof. I did my part in its entirety as to what they requested from me to show it was fraud.

Dec 23, 2019
For anyone who has experience with filing a complaint with the CFPB...how long did it take them to contact you? Did they contact you through email or by phone? Also, my claim with AMEX was denied AGAIN, shocker...should I re-open and continue to keep going through the process that seems to get me no where or should I wait and see what comes out of filing with the CFPB? TIA