Amtrak Success Story

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
A few weeks ago, I booked a round trip on Amtrak to attend a wedding in New York. Sadly, a few days later, my father suddenly died a few days before the wedding and I was unable to attend the wedding as a result. At the time I did not choose travel insurance as my father was in good health and I didn't expect there to be a "covered" reason to cancel. I canceled the reservation and saw that I would lose somewhere around 25% of the fare, and get a refund in the form of a voucher. If I wanted a credit card refund, I would lose even more.

I decided to use our contacts and wrote to Amtrak. I explained what had happened. I said that I was prepared to lose the 25% because I consciously chose not to get insured, but wondered why they couldn't be more flexible with the remaining part, and refund it all to my credit card.. To my surprise, they agreed to refund everything to the credit card, including the 25%. It just shows that
  1. It never hurts to ask (nicely)
  2. Our contacts directory is amazing

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I should also mention that Delta was very helpful too, they waived the change fee for a ticket I already had to go to England next year, I changed the flight on the way to the airport and it cost around $50.