AMTRAK charged us $83.50 penalty for departing on an earlier train due to extreme weather.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 2, 2018
In NY for an overnight Jan 3-4, 2018. Took Amtrak from Philadelphia to NY Jan 3; ticket for late day Jan 4 was exchanged for a morning train due to extreme weather. Blowing ice, snow, freezing temperatures, flight cancellations. Penn Station was packed with people trying to depart early so we paid the fee and headed out. I sent 2 emails asking for a refund to Amtrak Customer Service and a more formal letter in the mail followed by another email..all to no avail. No response at all. All communications included scanned copies of the original tickets and the replacement tickets along with a receipt for the penalty.

Jan 6, 2015
Prices will vary by time of day and class of ticket. When i search for NYC - PHL on Amtrak I see a range of $58 - $231 per person. So I think it's likely that the time change affected the price. Also, see their change policy here:

where it says: "Amtrak does not charge a ticket change fee, but please note that other fees may apply. Policies regarding ticket changes vary; limitations and exclusions apply"

However, if you still feel you were "penalized" you can present your case to Amtrak for consideration by using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page (listed under Mass Transit). Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the first page.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with my colleague- I am sure you paid the price differential between the afternoon and the morning ticket cost. Amtrak’s prices also go up as the date gets closer. I’ve kicked myself more then once because I didn’t jump on a fare until a few weeks before traveling.

Amtrak has several pricing structures- saver, value, flexible, business. As the dates get closer the cheaper fares sell out. So by changing at the last minute you most likely were stuck with the most expensive fare that was left.

It’s also too late after you approved the transaction. Didn’t you question the price when you rebooked the ticket?

Mar 2, 2018
I agree with my colleague- I am sure you paid the price differential between the afternoon and the morning ticket cost. Amtrak’s prices also go up as the date gets closer. I’ve kicked myself more then once because I didn’t jump on a fare until a few weeks before traveling.

Amtrak has several pricing structures- saver, value, flexible, business. As the dates get closer the cheaper fares sell out. So by changing at the last minute you most likely were stuck with the most expensive fare that was left.

It’s also too late after you approved the transaction. Didn’t you question the price when you rebooked the ticket?
We did question the price but there were hundreds of frantic travelers behind us in line and we were eager to get away from the extreme weather. The ticket agent told us we had to pay and then contact customer service--which is what we did. BUT, good news, Amtrak did reach out and has sent a voucher for future Amtrak travel,. we are very grateful.