AmEx SPG Luxury Card and SPG/Marriott merger

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 9, 2018
I recently upgraded to the American Express SPG Luxury Card, after having been quite happy with their standard American Express SPG card for many years. I had always received excellent service from American Express, and excellent service from SPG. After the upgrade on 14 Sept 2018 (and of course, the mishandled SPG-Marriott merger), I seem to have disappeared from SPG/Marriott's sight. One of the perks of the SPG Luxury Card is complimentary Gold Elite status with SPG/Marriott, except, it seems, in my case. Despite repeated calls to both SPG/Marriott and to American Express, I have not been able to get this situation resolved. SPG/Marriott states that they do not even have a record that I ever had the standard American Express SPG card, let alone the American Express SPG Luxury card (which obviously is not true as my bonus AmEx points show up in my account activity). They have been very consistent with this story.

American Express, on the other hand, has given me multiple stories including one about how it takes 12-16 weeks for my benefits at SPG/Marriott to start. I have also, however, had one person state that my benefits should have started on 14 September 2018, but got disconnected during a call with her. I haven't a clue what story to believe

It seems like to me, it would be a simple call from American Express to SPG/Marriott to fix this problem, but this has not happened.

I am quite disappointed in American Express as I feel that as soon as they got me to agree to upgrade, they stopped caring about providing customer service.
I am disappointed in SPG/Marriott for not pursuing this, but given that I have never really received very good service from Marriott, this is not surprising.
I am extremely disappointed with the merger, but with regards to my specific situation right now, it seems to be nothing be a massive SNAFU.

Has anybody been able to upgrade to the AmEx SPG Luxury Card and receive Gold Elite benefits, and if so, how long did it take?

Oct 9, 2018
Let me ask in a different way....
Has anyone successfully gotten Gold Elite status with SPG/Marriott after signing up for the AmEx SPG Luxury card?
Conversely, has anyone NOT been converted to Gold Elite status with SPG/Marriott after signing up for the AmEx SPG Luxury card?
Thanks in advance.

Mar 8, 2018
You should definetly have gold status with the SPG luxury card, and platinum status after $75,000 in spend. Make sure you have combined/connected your Starwood account and your Marriott account, which I believe you have to do manually.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...ms/starwood-preferred-guest-luxury-card/36182

If you have combined your accounts, and still don't have status and are having trouble with the front line agents, I would contact Marriott on their social media accounts. The best way to do this is through Flyertalk.com and message StarwoodLurker. He is very responsive in helping members.

Oct 9, 2018
Thanks for your response.
My accounts are combined.

I have called American Express, and they have claimed on different occasions the following: a) It is the fault of the SPG-Marriott merger, b) It is supposed to take 3-4 months to get the "automatic" status. I do not know which of these two stories to believe.
I have called SPG-Marriott, and they claim have claimed: a) they are not aware that I have the SPG Luxury card, b) even after I sent them documentation showing that I do have the card, they claim that they are not able to make the change to Gold Elite because it is the responsibility of American Express to do this.

I have talked to both SPG-Marriott and American Express at least 1/2 dozen times each, and neither claims any responsibility for the upgrade.

I do not know who to believe, and thought I would turn to Chris Elliott who referred me to this forum. At this point, I am wondering if anyone else has this issue with a pretty pricey credit card.

In the meantime, I am pretty peeved that I have a $450 card that does not get all of the advertised benefits. Neither AmEx, nor SPG-Marriott seems to care. I expected this from Marriott. I did not expect this from American express.

Mar 8, 2018
Frustrating! I think this is something that needs to be dealt with on the Marriott end, not Amex. Reading past cases where gold wasn't given after meeting spend requirement on the regular SPG Amex card, the solution was never on the Amex side. Sending a note to StarwoodLurker on Flyertalk will rectify the situation. I have seen their social media team fix the gold issue I mentioned earlier several times.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've been an AmEx user since 1972. They were always the super-top-dog with customer service. It has degraded over the years. I am currently in the middle of a nasty little problem and can't even get them to acknowledge it. So I would follow my colleagues' advice about contacting the FlyerTalk guy to work it out through the merger mess. I lived through the Continental-United merger and we thought that was awful, but it appears that this SPG-Mariott merger is far worse for the loyal guests. I would definitely ask for a refund of the annual fee for the months that this very expensive card has been quite useless. Or perhaps some points would be more useful to you.