AMEX SERVE

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2019
Good afternoon my name is Raven Johnson and I found my way to this site because since 2013 I have used AMEX Serve for my direct deposit from my job and on 2/13/2019 I recieved my direct deposit at about 11pm on 2/14/2019 I received an email at approximately 130 am that I had sent money to a Robert in the amount of $881. As soon as I saw the email I immediately called AMEX Serve's customer service to report the unauthorized transaction. I explained that I didn't authorize a money transfer and further more I didn't know a Robert. I was told they filed a claim on my behalf and it would take 7-10 business days before the issue could be resolved. I explained again that was all the money I had and couldn't afford to wait 7-10 business days. The representative apologized rather snarky and said that's all they could do. I have called every day since last Thursday and received the same response even from a "supervisor ". Is there anything else I can do?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Your card was compromised and needs to be canceled if it was not already done. They will need to investigate this money transfer which takes time.
You need a more secure account such as a bank account to receive your direct deposit.
Debit cards such as AMEX serve do not have the protections of credit cards.

Feb 21, 2019
Your card was compromised and needs to be canceled if it was not already done. They will need to investigate this money transfer which takes time.
You need a more secure account such as a bank account to receive your direct deposit.
Debit cards such as AMEX serve do not have the protections of credit cards.
Thanks I have canceled the card and learned my lesson quickly.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My sympathies ... hopefully you have some other means of staying afloat temporarily. When you take a step back and look at the big contemporary picture ... how much we rely on IT and take computers for granted, it's rather chilling. I'm in the financial business, our home office is in the heart of the USA, Omaha. When they started accepting client deposits by phone, I was staggered ... wondering what will happen when it all implodes.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, the OP has a debit card and may not get the money back.
The debit card has the same rules for unauthorized transactions as long as you notify the bank as soon as you see them. My wife’s debit card was compromised when she used it to buy gas- when her bank contacted her about unauthorized transactions that went down the East Coast of the US she was fully reimbursed for the unauthorized transactions. By law the bank had 10 days to credit her back and they took exactly 10 days, even when they were the ones that caught the transactions.

Jan 17, 2019
The debit card has the same rules for unauthorized transactions as long as you notify the bank as soon as you see them. My wife’s debit card was compromised when she used it to buy gas- when her bank contacted her about unauthorized transactions that went down the East Coast of the US she was fully reimbursed for the unauthorized transactions. By law the bank had 10 days to credit her back and they took exactly 10 days, even when they were the ones that caught the transactions.
A number of years ago my wife's debit card was somehow compromised (to this day nobody knows how.) We live in the Denver area, and unauthorized charges began in southern California on a Saturday afternoon, eventually running up over $2500 over the weekend.

Our bank called us at 9:00 AM the next Monday morning to alert us. They immediately cancelled all the charges, opened an investigation, and advanced us $5000 a temporary overdraft protection so we had money available. I really like our bank!

Sep 27, 2017
Although banks treat debit card customers like second-hand citizens, they don't have to. Twice I've had a debit card compromised. Both times my credit union proactively called my the same day/next business day. In both instances, I was made whole within 48 hours.

Dec 27, 2018
A number of years ago my wife's debit card was somehow compromised (to this day nobody knows how.) We live in the Denver area, and unauthorized charges began in southern California on a Saturday afternoon, eventually running up over $2500 over the weekend.

Our bank called us at 9:00 AM the next Monday morning to alert us. They immediately cancelled all the charges, opened an investigation, and advanced us $5000 a temporary overdraft protection so we had money available. I really like our bank!
Wow, what bank was that??? WIll be happy to find a good guy in that field ;)

Jan 6, 2015
While I agree with everyone about credit cards there can be good reasons to use a debit card:
  • The cardholder cannot qualify for a credit card (our granddaughter, for example)
  • Some merchants will accept a debit card but not a check (Visa-branded ones for example)
  • Using a debit card is easier to use than a check (we have an aging relative that does this)
The trouble arises when a debit card gets used for a purchase for which we may later want a refund. Use with caution . . .

Feb 25, 2019
While I agree with everyone about credit cards there can be good reasons to use a debit card:
  • The cardholder cannot qualify for a credit card (our granddaughter, for example)
  • Some merchants will accept a debit card but not a check (Visa-branded ones for example)
  • Using a debit card is easier to use than a check (we have an aging relative that does this)
The trouble arises when a debit card gets used for a purchase for which we may later want a refund. Use with caution . . .
I can’t believe that anyone i still writing cheques!! I do see that in the grocery store from time to time, but as a Canadian I still can’t believe that is still happening.

Jan 10, 2019
I’m still wondering why people still use debit cards? There are no benefits. As a points hound I always use a credit card. Haven’t had to buy a flight in years,
Why people use debit cards? Unbanked and under-banked individuals must use services like this. Adds fees -- and insult to injury -- to those living paycheck to paycheck. They're also invisible, because they are voiceless and have no advocates.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m still wondering why people still use debit cards? There are no benefits. As a points hound I always use a credit card. Haven’t had to buy a flight in years,
I use them to purchase and have the money taken right out of my account don’t have to worry about a credit card bill later. I have certain things I will use a debit card for and certain things a credit card for more protection.

Jan 6, 2015
My family members that have used a debit card do so for frequent consumables like food, small clothing items, and oil changes. For items like electronics, travel, and purchases that might be returned, a credit card is definitely a better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.