Amex Primary Car rental insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 14, 2019
Interesting. I have the same policy, and when I used it in September of 2018, they had just changed it to include Ireland for rentals starting after September 1st. Maybe they changed it back?
My last rental over there was 2016 and I actually filed a claim for a cracked windshield (rock from passing truck cracked it). If AmEx changed it in 2018 to INCLUDE Ireland, I am delighted. I didn't hear that. I go to Ireland often but haven't rented a car there since 2016 - mainly because I thought they had closed the "loophole" of covering rentals that begin and end in Northern Ireland. I had no idea they added Ireland (and clearly the Dublin airport people don't either)....the Northern Ireland rental counters all knew AmEx provided coverage and didn't try and upsell me at all. It might be time for another trip over if my car rental insurance will be provided by AmEx. THANKS!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I did. But they would only accept an emailed copy of the terms and conditions from AmEx. I stood in the Dublin airport and called, but that did the trick. Of course, they then took a €5,000 hold on my card as a last attempt to get me to purchase their CDW. The agent even said, “How do you expect us to make any money at these advertised rates?” It was very clear that he was annoyed. But, hey, I don’t advertise the rates. And it was worth the hassle to save €40/day for two weeks. Others may want to just pay it.
hit reply instead of like. sorry

Mar 20, 2019
Yes, I always just bring a printed copy to show at the moment that I am picking up the car. That shuts down all the sales pitches and objections, but the one time it didn't, I just asked them to call Amex and ask. They refused so I offered to call. Suddenly they said it was fine.
Love that idea! Once had a long, frustrating discussion with a "local" Enterprise location trying to convince him he didn't need my home car insurance information because of the AMEX primary coverage. Next time I will suggest they call AMEX themselves or offer to call AMEX for the rental agent!