Amex Primary Car rental insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 27, 2018
Just curious. What do people think about this for extra protection with car rentals. https://feeservices.americanexpress.com/premium/termsandconditions.do I never used to think about this until reading all the issues on the forums. Most CCs offer only secondary coverage, which means you have to get your insurance company involved. Since I live in a Delta fortress hub I will be using Amex, and do not want to pay for another card just for car rentals.

Oct 13, 2015
I used to use that policy on all my car rentals and I really miss it. It's unfortunately not a benefit on my current credit cards. I was hit in a parking lot once and even though there was no police report, Amex asked me some questions over e-mail and took care of it. Super easy to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 16, 2018
I have used the Amex Premium car rental insurance and it has literally saved me several times. Once was just a rental while our car was in the shop. It paid quickly and with no hassle, as it was primary. Just last summer I had a car rental agency in Europe tell me that I hadn't returned the car and was responsible for it! Amex told me that I was covered and they would take care of it. In the end, the car I had returned was found. I posted about it here somewhere. But Amex gave me incredible service and peace of mind then and every time I have used it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
One thing you need to find out from AMEX is if the policy is limited to US rentals only or if it covers international rentals. Some countries, like Ireland and Costa Rica, require you to purchase insurance in the country and credit card insurance usually won't cover these countries. We also can't see the actual policy to see if CDW is included too.

May 16, 2018
One thing you need to find out from AMEX is if the policy is limited to US rentals only or if it covers international rentals. Some countries, like Ireland and Costa Rica, require you to purchase insurance in the country and credit card insurance usually won't cover these countries. We also can't see the actual policy to see if CDW is included too.
What I recall is that it is for both US and International, with a few exceptions, and their documentation or a rep on the phone will tell you the specific countries that it doesn't cover.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It's my understanding that AmEx charges per rental. Depending on how often you rent vehicles, it might be worth getting a Chase Sapphire card to use for car rentals, their coverage is one of the included travel perks.

Sep 12, 2018
I used it in Ireland. Seems like there are a couple of counr excluded, but I was surprised to find that Ireland was *not* one. It usually is. It took a heck of a fight to get Sixt to accept it, but it worked.

May 16, 2018
It's my understanding that AmEx charges per rental. Depending on how often you rent vehicles, it might be worth getting a Chase Sapphire card to use for car rentals, their coverage is one of the included travel perks.
Yes it charges $19.95 per rental, but the rental can be over a month long if I recall correctly. At any rate, it's for the entire length of the rental, and the coverage is Primary. My Chase cards offer coverage but it's secondary.

May 16, 2018
Nathan, thanks for the update. Another thing to do is bring a copy of the policy with you in case the rental company insists on seeing the policy
Yes, I always just bring a printed copy to show at the moment that I am picking up the car. That shuts down all the sales pitches and objections, but the one time it didn't, I just asked them to call Amex and ask. They refused so I offered to call. Suddenly they said it was fine.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes it charges $19.95 per rental, but the rental can be over a month long if I recall correctly. At any rate, it's for the entire length of the rental, and the coverage is Primary. My Chase cards offer coverage but it's secondary.
Thanks for this, Jane ... I did not add that the Chase Sapphire coverage is Primary.

Sep 12, 2018
Nathan, thanks for the update. Another thing to do is bring a copy of the policy with you in case the rental company insists on seeing the policy
I did. But they would only accept an emailed copy of the terms and conditions from AmEx. I stood in the Dublin airport and called, but that did the trick. Of course, they then took a €5,000 hold on my card as a last attempt to get me to purchase their CDW. The agent even said, “How do you expect us to make any money at these advertised rates?” It was very clear that he was annoyed. But, hey, I don’t advertise the rates. And it was worth the hassle to save €40/day for two weeks. Others may want to just pay it.

Sep 27, 2018
Thanks all for the input. There are a few countries where it does not work, most significant is Australia and New Zealand. Luckily when I am using my Amex card for car rentals, it is for vacations so the cost is amortized over several days, the rest of the time is corporate travel. Good point to bring a copy of the policy. While I have never had an issue with National, I have to wonder if I am just being lucky.

Feb 14, 2019
Nathan Witt - unless AmEx has changed its policies in the past 3 years, it does not cover Ireland. It used to cover vehicles where the rental began and ended in the UK (inc. Northern Ireland) but I've heard AmEx recently excluded Northern Ireland from its coverage also. I haven't seen anything in writing to confirm that but I have a copy of the actual policy from 3 years ago. I requested it before I left for Northern Ireland (I was allowed to take the vehicle into the Republic of Ireland as much as I wanted as long as the rental began and ended in the UK). AmEx sent me "confidential" plan documents including the actual insurance policy. I've cut and pasted below the exclusions which clearly state it does not cover rentals in Ireland. Maybe you had a different policy? I have "Premium Car Rental Protection" through them which cost $25 per rental. Here's the language from the policy:

Premiums A [$19.95, $24.95] premium charge will be billed to the Cardmember’s Enrolled Card each time the Card is used to pay the rental charges for a Rental Car until the enrollment is terminated. There may be occasions when premium charges are billed to the Enrolled Card for: 1. a cancelled car rental or no-show; 2. a vehicle other than a Rental Car; 3. two premiums for the same car rental; 4. vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand; or 5. other charges unrelated to the actual car rental. If any such charges are billed to the Enrolled Card, contact American Express for a refund or fill out the refund coupon attached to the Card statement.

Feb 14, 2019
Sorry, forgot to include the language from the first page, second paragraph of the policy also:

Premium Car Rental Protection provides insurance coverage to the Cardmember and Passengers when a Cardmember uses an Enrolled Card to pay rental charges for a Rental Car. Coverage includes the following benefits: reimbursement for Damage to or Theft of a Rental Car; a secondary Accidental Injury Expense benefit; Accidental Death or Dismemberment coverage; secondary coverage for Damage to or Theft of Personal Property. The terms and conditions of coverage, as well as the benefit levels, are described in this Description of Coverage. Coverage is worldwide except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand.

Sep 12, 2018
Nathan Witt - unless AmEx has changed its policies in the past 3 years, it does not cover Ireland. It used to cover vehicles where the rental began and ended in the UK (inc. Northern Ireland) but I've heard AmEx recently excluded Northern Ireland from its coverage also. I haven't seen anything in writing to confirm that but I have a copy of the actual policy from 3 years ago. I requested it before I left for Northern Ireland (I was allowed to take the vehicle into the Republic of Ireland as much as I wanted as long as the rental began and ended in the UK). AmEx sent me "confidential" plan documents including the actual insurance policy. I've cut and pasted below the exclusions which clearly state it does not cover rentals in Ireland. Maybe you had a different policy? I have "Premium Car Rental Protection" through them which cost $25 per rental. Here's the language from the policy:

Premiums A [$19.95, $24.95] premium charge will be billed to the Cardmember’s Enrolled Card each time the Card is used to pay the rental charges for a Rental Car until the enrollment is terminated. There may be occasions when premium charges are billed to the Enrolled Card for: 1. a cancelled car rental or no-show; 2. a vehicle other than a Rental Car; 3. two premiums for the same car rental; 4. vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand; or 5. other charges unrelated to the actual car rental. If any such charges are billed to the Enrolled Card, contact American Express for a refund or fill out the refund coupon attached to the Card statement.
Interesting. I have the same policy, and when I used it in September of 2018, they had just changed it to include Ireland for rentals starting after September 1st. Maybe they changed it back?