Amex charging baggage insurance on all Delta tickets but policy is not valid

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 11, 2015
Not sure if you guys have any advice on how to pursue an issue with Amex and baggage insurance. My family and I flew to Atlanta the Friday before thanksgiving for a bar mitzvah - 3 formal events over the weekend and then thanksgiving. My wife's bag was lost. It’s Dec 11th and the bag still has not been found. I am in the process of claiming what little I can form Delta. That is another story for another time. The bigger issue is that for the past 20 plus years when ever my father has purchased a ticket for me and family with his Amex he was charged a $9.95 fee by Amex for baggage insurance. We thought this was a life saver but after going through the claims process we were told that the insurance does not cover us. It basically only covers the purchasers spouse, but for the past 20 plus years he and I am sure many other Amex customers have been paying the insurance for a useless policy. The insurance is a line item charge on the amex bill and shows the ticket number that the policy applies to. This seems very sketchy and possibly illegal? Any thoughts? Any suggestions on how to pursue this? Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Shaun

Oct 5, 2015
he was charged a $9.95 fee by Amex for baggage insurance... but after going through the claims process we were told that the insurance does not cover us. It basically only covers the purchasers spouse
Since this is charged per ticket automatically when you use the AMEX card, are you sure it does not cover the PASSENGER?

On second thought, I think you are correct for Baggage Insurance Plan that is included when you pay for the ticket with AMEX card.
https://web.aexp-static.com/us/content/pdf/card-benefits/AmericanExpressGreenCard/BIP_DOC.pdf

But if you are referring to the PREMIUM Baggage Protection plan where they charge a fee--
Well that isn't offered anymore so I cannot say who is covered.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2015
100%. I have spent many hours on the phone with Amex. It says on their site that it only cover spouse and dependent even though it is an automatic charge that you can not opt out of when purchasing a ticket.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Shaun,

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's bag being lost. Insurance is always very specific about what it does and doesn't cover. It's up to the purchaser to read and understand the policy.

I think your father can ask Amex to refund the fees paid for this trip, and probably a bit of time back (a year, maybe) but further than that, he's going to have an uphill battle...and I don't lay great odds he'll get anything. Still, I always say it doesn't hurt to ask.

But no, I don't see anything illegal about what Amex did. Obviously I wouldn't know what literature was available 20 years ago on the program, but the website now is pretty clear, so in good conscience I can't even call it sneaky. I hate to say that, but that's the way I see it.

Maybe someone else will chime in with more experience on the card that will be more helpful for you.

Good luck.

If he is still being charged for a service that they are not providing he should be able to get a refund all the way back to the statute of limitations period or when they changed the baggage plan, which ever is closer in time. . .

Sounds like a wonderful class action lawsuit - is he interested in being a lead plaintiff? We can get him all of his money back -

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
100%. I have spent many hours on the phone with Amex. It says on their site that it only cover spouse and dependent even though it is an automatic charge that you can not opt out of when purchasing a ticket.

Okay, now the fact that it's an automatic charge does bother me. Granted, there aren't many people who buy tickets other than for themselves, spouses, and minor children, but still - there should be an opt out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I use AMEX all the time for my air purchased and have never been charged this, nor have I ever heard of it.
However, you said "whenever your father has purchased a ticket for you and your family".

If you didn't use your own American Express card to buy the ticket, then the insurance doesn't appear to be applicable to you. It is applicable to your Dad and his spouse or family traveling with him.

Covered Person means the Basic Cardmember, each Additional Cardmember, and each of theseCardmembers -spouse s or Domestic Partners and dependent children under 23 years of age. AllCovered Persons must have a Permanent Residence within the 50 United States of America or the District of Columbia . All other persons are not CoveredPersons under the Policy.

Who's Amex Card paid for your tickets - yours or your Dads? If it was your Dads, you don't fall under being covered. Was your Dad traveling on the same ticket with you?

Jan 6, 2015
I located two links that may helpful to you. The first describes "Premium Baggage Protection - Card holders who enrolled for this perk will be charged $9.95 per covered person per covered trip." Th URL is: http://www.askmrcreditcard.com/american-express/blue-sky/travel-insurance/

The second is here: https://community.americanexpress.com/thread/2344 and indicates that the $9,95 was refunded when it was determined not to be applicable, which is the same as in your case.

Thus, it seems, your father should receive a refund since Amex clearly states that you are not covered by the policy. He paid for coverage they could never provide.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I located two links that may helpful to you. The first describes "Premium Baggage Protection - Card holders who enrolled for this perk will be charged $9.95 per covered person per covered trip." Th URL is: http://www.askmrcreditcard.com/american-express/blue-sky/travel-insurance/

The second is here: https://community.americanexpress.com/thread/2344 and indicates that the $9,95 was refunded when it was determined not to be applicable, which is the same as in your case.
If the father was on the same ticket as the son and wife, then the $9.95 would have been applicable to him, not anyone else.
Thus, it seems, your father should receive a refund since Amex clearly states that you are not covered by the policy. He paid for coverage they could never provide.
And it also appears it is coverage he CHOSE to have applied when he books, it is not mandatory. I have Amex's car rental insurance that, if I book a car rental with my Amx card, costs me $25 for insurance. and is a policy I opted into. It sounds the same as the baggage insurance is.

Jan 6, 2015
And it also appears it is coverage he CHOSE to have applied when he books, it is not mandatory. I have Amex's car rental insurance that, if I book a car rental with my Amx card, costs me $25 for insurance. and is a policy I opted into. It sounds the same as the baggage insurance is.
Yes indeed. But Amex still cannot, I think, keep his father's money when he paid for something their own policy prohibits. No saying Amex was "fraudulent" (implying intent), but that they are wrong. I would hope pointing that out to them would result in a "no-brainer" refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes indeed. But Amex still cannot, I think, keep his father's money when he paid for something their own policy prohibits. No saying Amex was "fraudulent" (implying intent), but that they are wrong. I would hope pointing that out to them would result in a "no-brainer" refund.
I agree. It isn't fraudlant but AMEX has no way to know if the father was not on the reservation other than the father contacting them to get a refund of the $9.95.

If Dad WAS on the reservation with the rest of the family, then nothing is due because it would have applied to only his bags.

Jan 6, 2015
I agree. It isn't fraudlant but AMEX has no way to know if the father was not on the reservation other than the father contacting them to get a refund of the $9.95.

If Dad WAS on the reservation with the rest of the family, then nothing is due because it would have applied to only his bags.
Since he stated that for 20 years his father "purchased a ticket for me and family", I expect the father was not included in the purchase, unless he was flying in to the same location.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Shaun, this insurance has to be something your dad signed up for. Until recently, I bought all my tix using AmEx, and there's never been a mandatory fee. I think it's a perk that AmEx offers, for which you sign up, it's not automatic.

Oct 5, 2015
Shaun, this insurance has to be something your dad signed up for. Until recently, I bought all my tix using AmEx, and there's never been a mandatory fee. I think it's a perk that AmEx offers, for which you sign up, it's not automatic.
Judy, the perks we get to charge our tickets with AMEX is different. Those perks are free.
But AMEX used to have (or could still have) an option wherein you could automatically BUY PREMIUM baggage, flight or car rental insurance.
The baggage insurance cost $9.95 a trip or something. The car rental cost $24.95 outside California. Whenever you booked airline tickets with your registered AMEX card, AMEX will charge you an additional $9.95 and you (the pax) got baggage insurance. The benefits were pretty good. You could spend up to $500 if your bags were late and have it reimbursed.
I see that AMEX has stopped selling this baggage insurance. If the LW says he or his Dad is still getting charged $9.95 a ticket nowadays, then he is in the right to complain if there is no more coverage.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Not sure if you guys have any advice on how to pursue an issue with Amex and baggage insurance. My family and I flew to Atlanta the Friday before thanksgiving for a bar mitzvah - 3 formal events over the weekend and then thanksgiving. My wife's bag was lost. It’s Dec 11th and the bag still has not been found. I am in the process of claiming what little I can form Delta. That is another story for another time. The bigger issue is that for the past 20 plus years when ever my father has purchased a ticket for me and family with his Amex he was charged a $9.95 fee by Amex for baggage insurance. We thought this was a life saver but after going through the claims process we were told that the insurance does not cover us. It basically only covers the purchasers spouse, but for the past 20 plus years he and I am sure many other Amex customers have been paying the insurance for a useless policy. The insurance is a line item charge on the amex bill and shows the ticket number that the policy applies to. This seems very sketchy and possibly illegal? Any thoughts? Any suggestions on how to pursue this? Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Shaun
They do sometimes charge a 9.95 insurance fee for trip delay when you book on the phone. It doesn't cover everyone you purchase a ticket for, however. Make a claim through your homeowner's insurance if you have that. Or have your dad give you the cash and book the ticket on your own card if you want the benefit of the insurance. If your dad didn't use any of the tickets then I'm sure Amex will refund the $9 easily. Are you saying you guys asked and they said no to the $9 refund?