American Queen Steamboat

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 25, 2018
We booked a trip with American Queen,due to a case of credit card fraud,we were forced to cancel.We believe the card fraud breech was either through Pleasant Holidays who booked the trip or American Queen,we do not use this card for anything but vacations,Pleasant Holidays is keeping the trip insurance money we paid and American Queen is keeping $500 for paper work. During this breech ,not only was our card # compromised,but also our phone#, name, and full address. I informed the involved party’s that who ever had this information would also know when we would be on vacation,and not wanting to come home to an empty house we had no choice but to cancel.we understand that it was our decision to cancel,but we expected a little more response. This all happened within three days of booking, we did not even have the terms of the trip insurance yet.Our travel agent has been reaching out to these two companies ,to litte effect

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is a question- did you use the the credit card for normal shopping in the area, or to buy gas, or shop online around the same time frame?

I have dealt with Pleasant Holidays for years and have never had a problem with them but that’s not to say this couldn’t happen. American Steamboat is also a legit company.

Jan 30, 2018
Credit card fraud sadly happens all the time. More than once we have had to get new cards after the CC company alerted us that something was wrong. These scammers use all sorts of methods to gain card numbers. Therefore, I don't think you can pin it down to either of those two entities.

Mar 25, 2018
I do not doubt they are good company’s,or they would not remain in business, but it only takes one rat in the woodshed as my dad used to say.
Here is a question- did you use the the credit card for normal shopping in the area, or to buy gas, or shop online around the same time frame?

I have dealt with Pleasant Holidays for years and have never had a problem with them but that’s not to say this couldn’t happen. American Steamboat is also a legit company.

Mar 25, 2018
@Expipemjr Did you use the card anywhere else is the 12 months prior to the breach? If so, it’s really hard to prove where the breach occurred. It could have been a prior vacation.

Why would cc fraud cause you to cancel anyway?
Thanks for your question ,we used the card a year ago on a Alaska cruise for the family, the curious thing was that the false charges occurred on the same day the trip was paid for, kind of curious, the reason we canceled was that if I had information that you were on vacation and were so inclined I could empty your house out.loosing some money and not taking that chance is not a choice.we would not enjoy a vacation wondering weather our house was being burglarized while we were gone. The breech occurred between our travel agent ,Pleasent Holidays or American Queen .My wife and I have been in travel agents offices before and noticed peoples info casually sitting out on their desks,it only takes seconds to snap a picture with a cell phone if the agent steps away,,or a cleaning person goes through

Mar 25, 2018
Credit card fraud sadly happens all the time. More than once we have had to get new cards after the CC company alerted us that something was wrong. These scammers use all sorts of methods to gain card numbers. Therefore, I don't think you can pin it down to either of those two entities.
How do you get my credit card number if I never use it for anything else ,I do not even carry this card in my wallet it stays at home

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for your question ,we used the card a year ago on a Alaska cruise for the family, the curious thing was that the false charges occurred on the same day the trip was paid for, kind of curious, the reason we canceled was that if I had information that you were on vacation and were so inclined I could empty your house out.loosing some money and not taking that chance is not a choice.we would not enjoy a vacation wondering weather our house was being burglarized while we were gone. The breech occurred between our travel agent ,Pleasent Holidays or American Queen .My wife and I have been in travel agents offices before and noticed peoples info casually sitting out on their desks,it only takes seconds to snap a picture with a cell phone if the agent steps away,,or a cleaning person goes through
Ah, you didn’t say you used a travel agent. I can tell you we are held to the strictest standards when we take a clients credit card info. We shred everything once a card is charged. If you have seen credit card information on desks at the agency- that may be where someone might have gotten hold of it.

Your travel agent needs to go to bat for you. They should contact Pleasant and American Queen and explain the card was compromised somewhere between them, Pleasant and AQ.
Perhaps AQ would allow you to use the deposit towards a cruise on another date.

You should be very clear that the card is only used for vacations- it hasn’t been used since a trip last year and the day the deposit was posted so were unauthorized charges.

The telling of the story is important because if we had questions, so will they. The details you provided us with make a big difference in pinpointing where the breach could have incurred.

Don’t let your travel agent tell you there is nothing they can do- they most certainly can use their power to contact Pleasant and AQ and try to either get a refund or try to apply the money towards another trip.

I don’t blame you for canceling- you are absolutely correct that someone would know when you were away and you risk leaving your home unoccupied

Let us know what the travel agency does.

Mar 25, 2018
Ah, you didn’t say you used a travel agent. I can tell you we are held to the strictest standards when we take a clients credit card info. We shred everything once a card is charged. If you have seen credit card information on desks at the agency- that may be where someone might have gotten hold of it.

Your travel agent needs to go to bat for you. They should contact Pleasant and American Queen and explain the card was compromised somewhere between them, Pleasant and AQ.
Perhaps AQ would allow you to use the deposit towards a cruise on another date.

You should be very clear that the card is only used for vacations- it hasn’t been used since a trip last year and the day the deposit was posted so were unauthorized charges.

The telling of the story is important because if we had questions, so will they. The details you provided us with make a big difference in pinpointing where the breach could have incurred.

Don’t let your travel agent tell you there is nothing they can do- they most certainly can use their power to contact Pleasant and AQ and try to either get a refund or try to apply the money towards another trip.

I don’t blame you for canceling- you are absolutely correct that someone would know when you were away and you risk leaving your home unoccupied

Let us know what the travel agency does.
Hi our travel agent has been in contact with both company’s involved,and advocating for us,the parties involved Pleasant Holidays and American Queen agreed to rebook at another date without lose of money.My problem is, and maybe I’m a little paranoid at this point is that if the breech is through either of these company’s ,the person involved may be able to get the new trip dates putting us in the same situation.i realize this is a long shot, but my home is not worth any risk if I can help it.

Jan 30, 2018
How do you get my credit card number if I never use it for anything else ,I do not even carry this card in my wallet it stays at home
Credit card numbers begin with 4 digits that identify the bank. Easy for a scammer to get. It is probably not so hard with current technology to generate random numbers that sometimes are valid card numbers - easy enough to try to use them online and they may work. My point is that it may not be an individual in either of those companies who stole your number.

Mar 25, 2018
Credit card numbers begin with 4 digits that identify the bank. Easy for a scammer to get. It is probably not so hard with current technology to generate random numbers that sometimes are valid card numbers - easy enough to try to use them online and they may work. My point is that it may not be an individual in either of those companies who stole your number.
You seem to be defending these people , I realize all the implications,I can’t prove anything, but why this peticular card at this time, I have many cards I use every day,none of them have been compromised,who ever got the card info also breached my profile on Master cards web sight and ordered a reward card and changed my email address, which I’m addressing with Master card,this smacks of a professional organization, not much point having passwords any secret question if anyone can accomplish this,as soon as this is cleared up this acc will be deleted.

Mar 25, 2018
Thanks Neil, I think she’s doing everything she can,not sure how effective it will be,,we feel in just odd that all this happened within 48 hours of us paying for this trip,other people have suggested that it could have happened in other ways,I feel that if it’s yellow, walks like a duck and quacks it’s a duck . Our travel agent is 3 older women in a small office,I may be wrong , but I don’t think the breech came from there.its not so much the money ,but the aggravation it’s been causing, and lack of faith

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I absolutely understand your position, Expipemjr. Reading all our responses, it does seem like "everyone" is excusing the travel agency/tour operator ... but that's not the case. We are always striving to provide all our readers with "education", so we want to point up anything and everything that could be involved.

And at this point, it doesn't matter whodunit, but taking positive steps to protect your ID is the main issue now. I would ask the CC issuer to close your account and open another. I would also be checking every single account I have on a monthly basis. ID theft is my biggest worry with CCs, passwords, online access. I'd take up the offer to rebook another cruise on a new card so you're not out all that money.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Have you initiated a credit freeze with Experian and the other credit companies? Have you asked your credit card company to close your card and issue you a new one?

Jan 30, 2018
You seem to be defending these people , I realize all the implications,I can’t prove anything, but why this peticular card at this time, I have many cards I use every day,none of them have been compromised,who ever got the card info also breached my profile on Master cards web sight and ordered a reward card and changed my email address, which I’m addressing with Master card,this smacks of a professional organization, not much point having passwords any secret question if anyone can accomplish this,as soon as this is cleared up this acc will be deleted.
EXACTLY - you said it, "this smacks of a professional organization". Scammers are professionals who have techniques beyond just seeing an account number on a card or written down somewhere. I am NOT defending anybody. You are lucky if your cards have never been compromised before. It has happened to us at least 4 times and the banks have issued us new cards with new account numbers, necessitating our changing several automatic payment arrangements. It's a pain.