american homeshield

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 15, 2019
mid july my a/c unit froze up. .called American homeshield for service. Contractor came out and said he couldn't do any thing while it was frozen. said he would return later when it was thawed. Didn't show. called the contractor and was given another appointment. two more days. Then he couldn't charge it up, and after a call to "the boss", he said the compressor was bad. the parts were not available for a week. when the compressor was installed, it still wouldn't charge. after a call to "the boss" he said the coil was bad. another week. then homeshield called to tell me that there were out of pocket expenses. $840 this is to modify the duct, the drain pan, install a secondary drain pan, and an armi flex tube. Aren't these things part of installation?

Jan 11, 2019
My AC froze up last summer. I called the experts and he told me to turn off the cold and just run the fan until it thawed. He came out the next day and cleaned and recharged my unit. He said it seemed fairly new, I told him it was over 13 years old. My bill was around $130. Regular checkups help a lot. So make sure it's not something less serious before you dish out too much cash. Hopefully you can find an honest, reputable AC company. One that's established in your town.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
mid july my a/c unit froze up. .called American homeshield for service. Contractor came out and said he couldn't do any thing while it was frozen. said he would return later when it was thawed. Didn't show. called the contractor and was given another appointment. two more days. Then he couldn't charge it up, and after a call to "the boss", he said the compressor was bad. the parts were not available for a week. when the compressor was installed, it still wouldn't charge. after a call to "the boss" he said the coil was bad. another week. then homeshield called to tell me that there were out of pocket expenses. $840 this is to modify the duct, the drain pan, install a secondary drain pan, and an armi flex tube. Aren't these things part of installation?

How old is the unit?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is an opinion from an HVAC contractor:

As a consumer and professional, I expect furnaces to last 20 years,” said Tom Beaulieu, president of Bay Area Services Inc. in Green Bay, Wisconsin. “Air conditioning units, because they are outdoors and subject to the extremes of the weather, typically have shorter life expectancies of 15 years. My definition of ‘end of life’ for any appliance is when the unit has been in operation for more than two-thirds of its expected life and needs repairs that exceed 25 percent of the full replacement cost. Additionally, if repair parts are no longer available or some component, such as refrigerant, has or will become obsolete, the system most likely will need to be replaced. If there is something new and great that offers a feature that is appealing to me, I may tend to consider replacing the old product earlier.”

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/132909-hvac-system-life-cycles-how-long-should-it-last

Jan 6, 2015
To your question . . .
"$840 this is to modify the duct, the drain pan, install a secondary drain pan, and an armi flex tube. Aren't these things part of installation?"

My answer/recommendation is to ask another HVAC technician. He/she should have the skill and experience to authoritatively render an opinion . . .