American Home Shield

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 5, 2014
according to AHS "We'll pay up to $10/pound per occurrence for refrigerant. You'll be responsible for paying anything beyond $10/pound per occurrence for refrigerant."

Feb 12, 2019
R22 freon is the old type of refrigerant - so the $10 limit would apply it it. I know it was for sure over $20/pound back before I replaced mine 5 years ago. It's probably a fair bit more now as the supply dwindles!

Jul 19, 2019
Yes-it is R22-Freon and it is $100 per pound. The issue is that service technician suggested a replacement for the entire unit. AHS stated they would only cover the compressor and $10 pp for the Freon. Unacceptable as this is banned as of January.

Feb 12, 2019
I believe your problem is going to be "suggested a replacement". These home warranties will only replace if they cannot fix it (or I suppose if the fix is more than a replacement). With the policy capping their cost at $10/pound they're not going to want to pay out thousands for a replacement until they have to.

Jan 17, 2019
This appears to be one of those situations where someone is using the "we have to follow the rules" excuse.

I'm dealing with one of those myself, although not with American Home Shield.

Recently I was having problems with the air conditioning at my condo. The service tech mentioned that he had fixed it for the moment, but since the unit is over 14 years old it will need to be replaced soon.

I asked the company that manages my condo complex about this. I understand that I am responsible for paying to have this done, and I have no problem with this. The problem I have is that management insists that the outdoor compressor unit "be identical in appearance" to the original unit. Unfortunately, it's impossible to buy a new unit that is "identical in appearance."

When I pointed this out they told me that this is not their problem; rules are rules. They did say that they would look into changing this when a majority of unit owners needed to replace their AC units as well. Said the process shouldn't take longer than two more years.

Companies seem to use this as an excuse to not do anything.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This appears to be one of those situations where someone is using the "we have to follow the rules" excuse.

I'm dealing with one of those myself, although not with American Home Shield.

Recently I was having problems with the air conditioning at my condo. The service tech mentioned that he had fixed it for the moment, but since the unit is over 14 years old it will need to be replaced soon.

I asked the company that manages my condo complex about this. I understand that I am responsible for paying to have this done, and I have no problem with this. The problem I have is that management insists that the outdoor compressor unit "be identical in appearance" to the original unit. Unfortunately, it's impossible to buy a new unit that is "identical in appearance."

When I pointed this out they told me that this is not their problem; rules are rules. They did say that they would look into changing this when a majority of unit owners needed to replace their AC units as well. Said the process shouldn't take longer than two more years.

Companies seem to use this as an excuse to not do anything.
There may be a simple solution for your compressor issue. A newer compressor may have a smaller overall size and a creative installer can install a new compressor and put the old housing over it. Your condo does not care what is inside the cover.

Jan 17, 2019
There may be a simple solution for your compressor issue. A newer compressor may have a smaller overall size and a creative installer can install a new compressor and put the old housing over it. Your condo does not care what is inside the cover.
That's a thought. Hopefully I can find an AC company willing to do that. But I'll have other criteria that will have a higher priority. Looking at some of the AC units on plumbing/heating sites none of the available units look to be small enough to fit inside my current housing and still allow for adequate airflow for a new unit.

As far as the condo committee approval goes, when I owned a house I had an HOA who insisted I submit exterior paint samples for approval, even though the color was identical to my current one. They agreed with that, but again used the "rules are rules" argument. Sometimes I think they do this just to prove that they have the power.

What disturbs me about the AC situation is that the complex was built in 2005, they've had 14 years to think about this, and their position is, "Gee I guess we never thought of that. But it will take at least two years to decide on a policy to deal with it."

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
That's a thought. Hopefully I can find an AC company willing to do that. But I'll have other criteria that will have a higher priority. Looking at some of the AC units on plumbing/heating sites none of the available units look to be small enough to fit inside my current housing and still allow for adequate airflow for a new unit.
That's why you need a creative contractor who will know about all of the options. New AC compressors have become more efficient and get more cooling from physically smaller units (the control units have become fully electronic as well, so also smaller). Also, you might not need the same cooling rating for your condo unit that was installed originally. A good contractor will sort all of this out for you.

Jan 17, 2019
That's why you need a creative contractor who will know about all of the options. New AC compressors have become more efficient and get more cooling from physically smaller units (the control units have become fully electronic as well, so also smaller). Also, you might not need the same cooling rating for your condo unit that was installed originally. A good contractor will sort all of this out for you.
But of course my management company can still prohibit that solution "because the rules don't address that." What annoys me about this whole thing is that the say they won't even begin to look at the issue until enough people complain about it.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
But of course my management company can still prohibit that solution "because the rules don't address that." What annoys me about this whole thing is that the say they won't even begin to look at the issue until enough people complain about it.
As the swoosh said 1563677201354.png . The management you refer to seems clueless and is very unlikely to figure it out. And as others have said "it is better to ask forgiveness than permission" when you have a solution to a problem that will affect others.

Jan 17, 2019
As the swoosh said View attachment 2733 . The management you refer to seems clueless and is very unlikely to figure it out. And as others have said "it is better to ask forgiveness than permission" when you have a solution to a problem that will affect others.
Until you find out you're being fined $100/day and they put a lien on your property. The owners of a unit two buildings down from my place now owe over $21,000 for not taking down their satellite dish because it violated management policy. I don't to spend $6,000 having a new AC system installed, then have to rip it all out because they decided they don't like it.

Feb 12, 2019
Have you gone to a HOA meeting and bring it up? I'm unclear if management is an HOA management company or the officers of the HOA. Another option is to run yourself and push a solution that way.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Until you find out you're being fined $100/day and they put a lien on your property. The owners of a unit two buildings down from my place now owe over $21,000 for not taking down their satellite dish because it violated management policy. I don't to spend $6,000 having a new AC system installed, then have to rip it all out because they decided they don't like it.
Then you probably need to consult an attorney since your HOA is essentially telling you that you must put up with failing/failed AC and an unmarketable property due to lack of reliable AC. Otherwise, no other suggestions (other than sell before the AC fails permanently).

Jan 17, 2019
Then you probably need to consult an attorney since your HOA is essentially telling you that you must put up with failing/failed AC and an unmarketable property due to lack of reliable AC. Otherwise, no other suggestions (other than sell before the AC fails permanently).
It's not the HOA; they're as frustrated with the management company as I am. Unfortunately we have a contract with the management company. And the management company is the one "interpreting" the HOA rules. This management company is 9 months into a three year contract and it turns out the cost of breaking the contract would be high. At the last HOA meeting the topic was discussed and it was decided that we'd just live with it.