American Home Shield

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 12, 2019
home shield sent someone to fix my well pump then after the fact tells me it's not covered and I'm stuck with the bill.I was never given an option to agree to a price or to choose someone local to fix it. I should have been told it wasn't covered so i could choose who to fix it. They sent a company that's an hour from my house so they charged me travel time. what's supposed to happen is the guy who came to fix it should have told home shield what the problem was then home shield would tell me if it's covered or not.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You still would have had to pay for the travel time anyway if you told them not to fix it
when they came. Did you ask when you called about what would be covered by the warranty?

Is that all they charged you for or did they repair without your permission?

We have company contacts to American Home Shield- make sure when you write to them your letter is clear with all dates in question and the conversation you had. I’m not exactly clear on what they did or didn’t do.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-home-shield-2/

Jun 12, 2019
I paid $75.00 co-pay which should cover that. We looked at our policy and it says it cover wells but they are saying it's not a part of the well (although the well couldn't work without it)
They charged us almost $700.00. They did the repair without my permission. Normally the technician would diagnose and let home shield know the findings and then they would call us and tell us if it's covered or not but since he just went ahead and did it I figured it was covered. One supervisor we talked to said the technician is supposed to call them before they do any repairs to get permission to go ahead.
If the technician told me what the cost was then I would have put it off because it was working I just wasn't sure if it was ok with the popping sound it was making (which by the way the new one makes the same sound)
I would have called a company in my own city too when I was ready.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I know what you're saying, Don. Anything outside a city or suburb costs twice what it should. I'd write the company a letter just like this last post. Be concise and polite. Offer to pay half the charge and they pay the other half. Someone took advantage of the situation, and you should not be left holding the bag.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I paid $75.00 co-pay which should cover that. We looked at our policy and it says it cover wells but they are saying it's not a part of the well (although the well couldn't work without it)
They charged us almost $700.00. They did the repair without my permission. Normally the technician would diagnose and let home shield know the findings and then they would call us and tell us if it's covered or not but since he just went ahead and did it I figured it was covered. One supervisor we talked to said the technician is supposed to call them before they do any repairs to get permission to go ahead.
If the technician told me what the cost was then I would have put it off because it was working I just wasn't sure if it was ok with the popping sound it was making (which by the way the new one makes the same sound)
I would have called a company in my own city too when I was ready.
Then you have a legitimate complaint - they aren't supposed to do a repair without permission. Wasn't there anyone home when the worker was there or was it such a quick fix that you didn't even realize they did it?

Use our company contacts and write to them and ask for the repair money back since it was an unauthorized repair. I think you can also go to the Consumer Affairs and the AG in your state to file a complaint if Home Shield doesn't willingly refund you.

Did you pay with a credit card? You can also call your credit card company and find out if you can still do a credit card dispute for unauthorized repair.