American Home Sheild

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 16, 2019
Poor service. No customer service issue follow-up from upper level management at all. AHS customer since 2006. May 2018 used our AHS warranty policy to make AC repairs on AC unit. 9-4-19 AC failed we called AHS they sent tech for check up today 9-12-19. Tech determined that when repairs were made in May 2018 that tech from Total Air Care installed non compatable parts for the unit which led to this failure 9-4-19. We expect AHS to expedite getting correct parts installed so that weeks go by until next scheduled visit which has not been made as of today by AHS/Total Air Care. We also expect AHS to provide financial service recovery for ALL charges we expect them to charge us for like refrigerant replacement.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Poor service. No customer service issue follow-up from upper level management at all. AHS customer since 2006. May 2018 used our AHS warranty policy to make AC repairs on AC unit. 9-4-19 AC failed we called AHS they sent tech for check up today 9-12-19. Tech determined that when repairs were made in May 2018 that tech from Total Air Care installed non compatable parts for the unit which led to this failure 9-4-19. We expect AHS to expedite getting correct parts installed so that weeks go by until next scheduled visit which has not been made as of today by AHS/Total Air Care. We also expect AHS to provide financial service recovery for ALL charges we expect them to charge us for like refrigerant replacement.
Here are the AHS contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-home-shield-2/
You should escalate to higher levels on cust serv/management above where you have reached so far.
Email the next higher up and move on to the next weekly if no response.
Their track record of complaints and responses on elliott.org is quite poor.

Sep 16, 2019
Here are the AHS contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-home-shield-2/
You should escalate to higher levels on cust serv/management above where you have reached so far.
Email the next higher up and move on to the next weekly if no response.
Their track record of complaints and responses on elliott.org is quite poor.
Did that from the start. Sent 3 emails to chainof command and for NO response/call. Sent email to CEO listed on Elliott Advocacy website. Next day received email from a “titled” customer service executive. She stated she would escalate service. Got call today from AC company Total Air Care asking if I will accept $500 charge for refrigerant replacement. If I did not accept they will not service/repair. I accepted just so we can get AC parts replaced.(more to follow)

Sep 16, 2019
Unfortunately these companies seem to have the goal of not paying claims and do all they can to avoid it.

I would suggest you file a complaint with your State Attorney General.
T
Unfortunately these companies seem to have the goal of not paying claims and do all they can to avoid it.

I would suggest you file a complaint with your State Attorney General.
today we received a second call from the AC company Total Air Care. The same customer service representative who called this morning was calling back to inform us that our portion of the expense was miscalculated and instead of owing $500 for refrigerant replacement we now owe $900. This representative was not able to tell me when their tech will come to make repairs only that parts have been located. We have not received any communication from AHS since email was sent from customer service executive last week.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
This company needs to be terminated. We had a very similar story and then eventually they refused to allow us to renew, probably because they realized that they might actually have to pony up for a new heater within a year if we did renew. I hope that someone from the company is reading this that will object and sue me so that this whole scam can be brought out into the open where it belongs.

Sep 16, 2019
This company needs to be terminated. We had a very similar story and then eventually they refused to allow us to renew, probably because they realized that they might actually have to pony up for a new heater within a year if we did renew. I hope that someone from the company is reading this that will object and sue me so that this whole scam can be brought out into the open where it belongs.
Our saga continues won’t restate all just this. No AC today and no commitment from Total Air Care to make repairs for another 7 days making total days 19 without AC in FL. Average daily temperatures outside over this time 95 degrees.
Total Air Care the service provider for AHS has made NO attempt at service recovery in regard to making repairs immediately since they told us parts were available to them last Friday 9-13.

Jun 24, 2019
Total Air Care may have a contractor's license in Florida. If so, complain to the appropriate board. AHS may be licensed as an insurer in Florida, if so, complain to the appropriate licensing authority, which is probably the Insurance Commissioner. If the licensing authorities do nothing complain to your state representative and state senator.

I would get an estimate from another repair service. (From experience here in California, that can be a daunting task, and the new repair folks are likely to be motivated to sell you a new Lennox system for a lot of money rather than fix a system that Total Air messed up.) I would then send that estimate to the contact you have at AHS and ask them to authorize the new service to do the work at no cost to you. If AHS does respond, or balks, get two more estimates and, if you can afford it, hire someone you can trust to fix the problem. I recognise that insurance through AHS is not just an economic transaction, but you are also buying peace of mind. You are not getting that here.

I fear that if you pay Total Air $500 or $900, simply to get AC back, you will still be disappointed. And, given Total Air's track record, $900 is not their last demand.

I understand the pressure you are under to solve this issue. It's 95 degrees and 95% humidity, and it is not getting better. Don't let Total Air or AHS use your discomfort against you.

Sep 16, 2019
Total Air Care may have a contractor's license in Florida. If so, complain to the appropriate board. AHS may be licensed as an insurer in Florida, if so, complain to the appropriate licensing authority, which is probably the Insurance Commissioner. If the licensing authorities do nothing complain to your state representative and state senator.

I would get an estimate from another repair service. (From experience here in California, that can be a daunting task, and the new repair folks are likely to be motivated to sell you a new Lennox system for a lot of money rather than fix a system that Total Air messed up.) I would then send that estimate to the contact you have at AHS and ask them to authorize the new service to do the work at no cost to you. If AHS does respond, or balks, get two more estimates and, if you can afford it, hire someone you can trust to fix the problem. I recognise that insurance through AHS is not just an economic transaction, but you are also buying peace of mind. You are not getting that here.

I fear that if you pay Total Air $500 or $900, simply to get AC back, you will still be disappointed. And, given Total Air's track record, $900 is not their last demand.

I understand the pressure you are under to solve this issue. It's 95 degrees and 95% humidity, and it is not getting better. Don't let Total Air or AHS use your discomfort against you.
The unfortunate issue is the entire AC unit was replaced through AHS when it failed less than 2 years ago. The unit is still under manufacturer warranty. We can’t use that because when Total Air Care replaced the compressor and 2 other parts last year they used non-compliant parts. Before the other AC company can do any warranty work the compliant parts must be installed by Total Air. We have plans to involve the licensing boards for both companies, state congressional representatives, and state attorney general.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The unfortunate issue is the entire AC unit was replaced through AHS when it failed less than 2 years ago. The unit is still under manufacturer warranty. We can’t use that because when Total Air Care replaced the compressor and 2 other parts last year they used non-compliant parts. Before the other AC company can do any warranty work the compliant parts must be installed by Total Air. We have plans to involve the licensing boards for both companies, state congressional representatives, and state attorney general.
This must be maddening. SoCal is right to suggest Florida's Insurance Commissioner if this company is considered an insuror. The DofI really doesn't like companies who cheat their customers. They should have leaned hard on Total Air to get this fixed pronto.

Jun 24, 2019
Can you find an authorized repair person for the manufacturer of your unit, who can install compliant parts and bring the unit back within the manufacturer's warranty? (I understand that may require you laying out significant unanticipate money.) Is it even possible to make the unit compliant with the manfacturer's warranty?

Jun 24, 2019
You may need to consider taking Total Air Care to court to sue for installing non compliant parts .
You may wish to consult an attorney about possible legal remedies. This forum does not provide legal advice. You might have claims against both Total Care and against AHS. Those claims may be affected by Florida state law and by the contract you signed with AHS. You may also wish to have the attorney review the warranty from the A/C manufacturer. It may be that the non-compliant repair by AHS/Total Care voided the warranty, or made getting future warranty service more difficult.

If you do not know an attorney to ask, your local bar association probably has an attorney referral service where they can give you a few names of attorneys interested in this sort of case.

Sep 16, 2019
You may wish to consult an attorney about possible legal remedies. This forum does not provide legal advice. You might have claims against both Total Care and against AHS. Those claims may be affected by Florida state law and by the contract you signed with AHS. You may also wish to have the attorney review the warranty from the A/C manufacturer. It may be that the non-compliant repair by AHS/Total Care voided the warranty, or made getting future warranty service more difficult.

If you do not know an attorney to ask, your local bar association probably has an attorney referral service where they can give you a few names of attorneys interested in this sort of case.
Yesterday on day 19 with NO AC Total Air Care repaired our AC unit with the correct warranty approved compressor, capacitor, and filter. We were able to show AHS, with their own records, that TAC created this unit failure. In doing so AHS refunded us the total refrigerant cost of $550. AHS has blocked themselves from using TAC as a provider for any future service at our home. This entire service issue could have been addressed in the first 5 days after it failed if AHS would have listened to we the customer. All we did was use AHS records to show how their chosen service provider TAC failed. AHS did not listen until I sent email to AHS CEO and an “Executive Customer Service Manager” got involved. In the interim 19 days with NO AC. As for TAC we will send this matter to state of FL licensing board.