American Express Travel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2018
On 5/26/2018, I attempted to book two seats to EWR, Friday June 29th, returning July 8, 2018 with Amex Travel.

After filling out a lot of information, I hit the final button, and the computer came back with this approximate message, “unable to complete this transaction at this time.” There were NO instructions as to what to do. I assumed there would be some comeback, and although American Express says there was a confirmation on 5/26/2018 at 3:20 PM. I have checked my computer and there was NO confirmation on that date or any other date. I did get a request for customer satisfaction some time later. I waited two days after the rejection by the Amex Travel website, and assumed the reservation was no good, and I went online to another travel service and booked the same two passengers for the same dates, although it happened to be another airline. On June 20th, having seen the billing for the original flight, I have a cancellation acknowledgement for this original flight, 10 days before the first leg of that flight.
Please understand, the fares are Equal and therefore I had no reason to book a second Flight.

The facts are simple, I did not receive any confirmation that the flight was booked, so I proceeded to get the flights confirmed that I needed. When I became aware the first flight was charged, I immediately cancelled it. That confirmation is attached and again it is 10 days prior to the flight!

This is a simple computer glitch which I have no control over. Whether it is United Airlines website or Amextravel is not my call. As a consumer I had no choice but to follow the path I did.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Why did you book this travel with a website other than United? United provides an email response within a minutes, first that they are processing the reservation, and shortly thereafter that the reservation has been ticketed and confirmed. As a consumer I had no choice but to follow the path I did -you always have the option to go directly to the air carrier web site. The email you are looking for may have gone to your spam folder.

If a reservation appears not to have processed it is imperative to call or email the travel provider before booking another ticket.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Didn’t you check your account to see if money had been debited after you first tried?

Escalate this through American Express travel. Ask them for a copy of the original confirmation they sent confirming the original purchase. There was nothing in your junk mail? Did you make sure there were no misspellings in the email when you originally booked?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Unfortunately, we see this kind of story far too often. If you're booking on the internet and things don't go well, it's IMPERATIVE to find out what happened before moving forward. As you see, the system does not recognize what it told you or didn't tell you. The system believes you made a booking, it believes that it sent you a confirmation.

Before making a second res (especially something non-ref like air), it's your responsibility to verify said booking. You can probably straighten this out but it will take a great deal of patience and persistence. AmEx Travel has no way of knowing if their system malfunctioned or if you are someone just trying to go around the rules. You'll have to prove to them that their system was at fault, then they will straighten this out for you. Follow Neil's guidelines and use our Company Contacts. It will take a while and be very frustrating.

Sep 19, 2015
Ugh why did you go to another website if you wanted to use AmEx rewards? Were there no seats left?

The problem seems to be with the AmEx travel website so that should be the place to start.

Nov 19, 2018
Then you needed to call them directly once the booking failed.
That's monday morning quarterbacking. If I had suspected, I would have. There was NO reason to believe the reservation had gone through! I had just spent a material amount time of trying to get the cheapest flight and the right combination of takeoffs etc, and then the computer came back with a very decisive statement of not now! I was very unhappy and frustrated and assumed after several days that there was NO reservation. I wanted no part of that again, and made other arrangements. When I happened to notice the charge to my Credit card I immediately canceled this flight a week or more ahead of the departure. They could easily have sold those seats and probably for a lot more money, as Airlines now a days, increase prices substantially as time comes closer.

Nov 19, 2018
Yes, I did check spam and there is no email. I did later get a request for a survey of how things went, and that confirms to me there was no problem with my email.