American Express Serve Card just Served Me!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2018
I rented a Car from Dollar Rental at Tampa Bay Airport for 3 days while visiting. I used my AMEX Serve Card and $250 was placed on hold. Upon returning the rental I was informed that the hold ($250) would have a $59.67 deduction or debit, which was the actual cost for Car Rental. At 6pm the following day Dollar Rental forwarded a receipt for $59.67 and released the remaining balance of $190.33 to my AMEX Serve Card. I called AMEX Serve to find out why the balance HAD NOT POSTED to my account at which time I was told that I would be unable to have access to my $190.33 for THIRTY (30) DAYS with no interest! How is it possible for AMEX Serve to utilize a policy to "hold hostage" my money for 30 DAYS and I not have access to it? It's Christmas and AMEX is being the "Grinch" in every conceivable way! I need help liberating my funds from AMEX (The Grinch)!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I rented a Car from Dollar Rental at Tampa Bay Airport for 3 days while visiting. I used my AMEX Serve Card and $250 was placed on hold. Upon returning the rental I was informed that the hold ($250) would have a $59.67 deduction or debit, which was the actual cost for Car Rental. At 6pm the following day Dollar Rental forwarded a receipt for $59.67 and released the remaining balance of $190.33 to my AMEX Serve Card. I called AMEX Serve to find out why the balance HAD NOT POSTED to my account at which time I was told that I would be unable to have access to my $190.33 for THIRTY (30) DAYS with no interest! How is it possible for AMEX Serve to utilize a policy to "hold hostage" my money for 30 DAYS and I not have access to it? It's Christmas and AMEX is being the "Grinch" in every conceivable way! I need help liberating my funds from AMEX (The Grinch)!
You should look into getting a credit card with a limit large enough to rent a car. Yuo would not have this issue with a credit card.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 19, 2015
Serve is a prepaid debit card. On the website they disclose the 30 days for rental cars:

When you conduct transactions at certain merchants, a hold may be placed on funds in your Account to make sure you have enough funds to cover the transaction when it is completed. This is most commonly seen in connection with transactions at gas pumps, rental car agencies, hotels and cruises, where the transaction is not yet complete (and therefore the transaction amount is not finally known) at the time your Card is swiped. The funds subject to the hold will not be available until the transaction has fully completed or after the hold time expires (typically not later than 7 days in the case of most merchant transactions and 30 days in the case of transactions with rental car agencies).“

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
From the Grinch's point of view, rental cars are subject to damage. That damage is charged to the renter. Often it takes weeks for the rental company to deal with a damage issue. So AmEx is probably holding your account "hostage" just in case. It would be best if you read the terms and conditions of your card that arrived when you originally applied for it.

Dec 20, 2018
I understand that using a credit card when traveling is best.

But the problem with the "just go get a credit card" and advice is many people have poor credit, so getting a credit card at all, let alone one with a limit large enough to cover airfare, hotel, and rental car is next to impossible.

Sometimes a debit card is the only option va not traveling at all.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I understand that using a credit card when traveling is best.

But the problem with the "just go get a credit card" and advice is many people have poor credit, so getting a credit card at all, let alone one with a limit large enough to cover airfare, hotel, and rental car is next to impossible.

Sometimes a debit card is the only option va not traveling at all.
Unfortunately if that is the only option one need me to understand what can happen when traveling and using a debit card. This has always been an issue with using a debit card for car rentals and hotels- the hold that both place on the card an also cause a declination when the actual charge goes through if there isn’t ample money in the account for the hold AND the actual charge.