American Express Credit Card Refuses to Return my Payment

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 18, 2019
March and June 2019, I paid online through bill pay more than $500 to AMEX credit card which is not mine. It was my ex-husband's credit card that was on my payees online.
I was intentionally trying to pay my own AMEX card online. I called AMEX to report what happened and ask for a refund. I called in August and almost every week to 2 weeks up to September. They said my ex-husband needs to authorize that they can discuss the issue with me. He called them and he was informed that he owed about 5000.00. After that, AMEX closed his account. Up to this month of October, I just called them and they are still reviewing the case.
I have been so stressed and crying because I need the money for my 2 children.
What else can I do? Please help me get my money back.
Thank you.

Lacey

Sep 19, 2015
March and June 2019, I paid online through bill pay more than $500 to AMEX credit card which is not mine. It was my ex-husband's credit card that was on my payees online.
I was intentionally trying to pay my own AMEX card online. I called AMEX to report what happened and ask for a refund. I called in August and almost every week to 2 weeks up to September. They said my ex-husband needs to authorize that they can discuss the issue with me. He called them and he was informed that he owed about 5000.00. After that, AMEX closed his account. Up to this month of October, I just called them and they are still reviewing the case.
I have been so stressed and crying because I need the money for my 2 children.
What else can I do? Please help me get my money back.
Thank you.

Lacey
Oh my this is really a difficult situation. You may have to have your ex-husband return the money. If you only noticed it in August and the payments were made in March and June, it is too late -- the payment cannot be canceled.

It is true that owing to privacy laws the bank cannot talk about another person's account to a third party -- unless ordered by court or law enforcement.

I am uncertain what to suggest. You did not notice that you had not paid your own bill in March and June? And the ex did not know he owed $5000 and there were payments he did not make?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I take it you don't review your payments right away ... that's the only way to cancel an erroneous payment. I finally figured out how to print a list of the payments I make each month at BofA. I check it against the bills so I can unscrew any errors and it helps balance my bank statement.

If you were paying his AmEx bill, didn't AmEx notify you that your own account was past due? I feel that there is more to this story, since it runs over several months.

Oct 18, 2019
Thank you, everyone, for your concern. I did not notice my error right away because in April, May and July- I paid the right AMEX card I have.
The online payees are arranged from A-Z. The account of my ex starts with American Express and mine is under N for its name. My ex will not talk to them because he owes them money. My ex told me that the payment is for his card now. I thought errors paid to wrong accounts need to be refunded.
The amount of hard earned money is 900 USD.
Is it worth to get law enforcement or lawyer?

Lacey

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you, everyone, for your concern. I did not notice my error right away because in April, May and July- I paid the right AMEX card I have.
The online payees are arranged from A-Z. The account of my ex starts with American Express and mine is under N for its name. My ex will not talk to them because he owes them money. My ex told me that the payment is for his card now. I thought errors paid to wrong accounts need to be refunded.

Lacey
You need to remove his credit card from your bill
pay account. I’m not understanding why it’s there.

A lawyer is most likely going to cost you more than
$900 - look at filing a small claims court on your own. You made the error- not him. There was no crime. He won’t reimburse you I assume?

Jul 30, 2018

$900 - look at filing a small claims court on your own. He won’t reimburse you I assume?
Law enforcement will be useless because no crime was committed; you willingly, albeit inadvertently, made the payments. As for lawsuit: you would need to seek reimbursement from your ex-husband. Again, no legal wrong has been committed by your bank and Amex, and you admit that the payments were made by you, although inadvertently. What exhasperates this situation is that far too much time had passed after each payment was made before you realized it. I suggest that you re-evaluate all the payees on your bill payer account and delete the outdated ones to ensure you don't make the same mistake a third time.

Sep 19, 2015

Lacey
The problem is that you made the error and paid the money to an account that was listed under online payees- the bank did not make the error and AmEx did not make the error.

I do not know what law enforcement can do for you —

Is the ex refusing to pay you at all?

Mar 23, 2015
File in small claims against your ex-husband. You'll likely even get a letter asking you if you'd like to appear on Judge Judy! If so, she'll tear him a new one for keeping money that isn't rightfully his ;) A colleague appeared on her show! How sad that he is profiting from this unjust enrichment that he knows he doesn't deserve, but it also sounds like he is hurting financially and your "extra" payments may have given him some much needed breathing room? Perhaps just telling him you're going to sue for the money if he doesn't pay it back will be enough to "scare him straight"? But, you have no grounds for getting law enforcement involved. No laws were broken. Paying someone's bills for them by accident isn't a crime.

Oct 18, 2019

$900 - look at filing a small claims court on your own. You made the error- not him. There was no crime. He won’t reimburse you I assume?

Oct 18, 2019
Thank you to all of you and for this forum.
I helped my ex pay the credit card before so I have them on my payees. That's right, I should have deleted it long ago.
I still don't want to give up.I'll try the small claims court and the Consumer Protection Agency.

Oct 18, 2019
If you helped him pay his bill before this makes a small claims case even worse- he can say you paid it before for him.
Is he refusing to repay you?
yes, my ex said AMEX is using me to communicate with him to "authorize" to the return of the payment to me... so AMEX can get him to pay his 5K debt to AMEX.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
yes, my ex said AMEX is using me to communicate with him to "authorize" to the return of the payment to me... so AMEX can get him to pay his 5K debt to AMEX.
That is just deflection on your ex’s part. AMEX is not going to return your money. The account to which it was paid STILL owes them $5000. They don’t care if he pays you back, they want their money.
I doubt that small claims court will give you any satisfaction. Even if you ‘win’ you still need to figure out a way to collect it from him.
He is your EX, he doesn’t care about your problems.

Feb 11, 2018
Thank you to all of you and for this forum.
I helped my ex pay the credit card before so I have them on my payees. That's right, I should have deleted it long ago.
I still don't want to give up.I'll try the small claims court and the Consumer Protection Agency.
Consumer Protection Agency has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. And Small Claims may not be able to help, either. Unfortunately, you made the mistake and then discovered it after several months. It's strictly between you and your ex. Be prepared to kiss the money goodbye. Sorry!