American cancelled my flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 28, 2019
Hi. AA cancelled, without my knowledge, a vacation of mine that included hotel and airfare booked through AA vacations. Now they are telling me that they will just refund me the money because the hotel is fully booked. Do I have any recourse? We have planned this vacation with a large group and the other option is a hotel at the same island miles away, not ideal.

Jan 28, 2019
AA Customer Service Rep error. They first told me I called and cancelled. That was impossible since I was on the ski slopes at the time they said I called. They then switched the story and tried to tell me that since the flight times changed by a few mins and I did not call them to confirm it was ok they cancelled. When I called their bluff as others on the same vacation were not cancelled and did not call in to confirm the flight change they finally admitted it was a rep on their end who made the mistake. This vacation was fully paid for and when they cancelled it they did not refund the money.

Sep 19, 2015
How long was it from making the booking to it being cancelled? Have you checked with hotel to see if they are completely booked?

What a mess this is for you.

Jan 28, 2019
Booked and fully paid on Sept 4th. AA cancelled on Dec 27th. Trip is on Mar 16 in Turks and Caicos. Basically AA is telling me that since this is Spring Break and a busy week they can't do anything. What a joke. Really at a loss as what to do since all the hotels are either booked or very expensive. Would have thought that AA Vacations had some obligation to make me whole but they have not and does not seem likely they will step up and do it. Beware of AA vacation packages.

Sep 19, 2015
What they should do is cover the difference of a nearby hotel is there one that would work?

I would be steaming mad, but take Neil’s advice and start writing calm and polite emails.

Think of a realistic resolution— if the resort is truly fully booked is there something nearby? Or does that defeat the purpose of the trip, being separated from the group?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Their reason for canceling makes absolutely no sense-that’s what’s wrong. You need an explanation on why and they need to help you find another resort.

Since you’ve dealt with Customer Service, start at the first executive.

Feb 21, 2018
If they admitted that it was their error I would think that the agency's Errors and Omissions insurance should cover any price difference as a way to make you whole.

It might not get you all in the same hotel, but at least you'd all be in T&C together.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If they admitted that it was their error I would think that the agency's Errors and Omissions insurance should cover any price difference as a way to make you whole.

It might not get you all in the same hotel, but at least you'd all be in T&C together.
This is American Airlines- I don’t think they need to worry about E and O insurance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The BBB is useless. The can't enforce anything, they merely take your letter, send it to the supplier for a response. The BBB can't do anything beyond that. And if the business happens to be a member, we often see a lot of complaints but an A rating even if the supplier doesn't help the consumer.