American Airlines Will Not Allow Me to Repurchase my ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 21, 2019
My name is Justin. Last year on March 15 2018 I had purchased a ticket from Toronto to Miami (return flight) the flight was departing at 12:49 PM from Toronto YYZ to MIA 4:17 PM American Airlines 2721. Return Date: Tuesday March 27 MIA 8: 35 AM arriving YYZ 11:54 AM. The intent was to go to Ultra Music Festival in Miami with my fiance although within the same week I had just received news that my grandfather had passed away and therefore I had to issue a refund for the ticket.
Ticket #xxxxxx

At the time American Airlines told me that I would receive 50% refund credit and a $200.00 penalty for the change in dates (having up until 1 year from date of purchase to use the remaining credit).

I phoned American Airlines today to utilize my credit and repurchase a new ticket from Toronto to Miami for this years Ultra Music Festival. Although when I went to use my credit the woman told me I had to not only book my flight before March 15th but I also had to make sure my date of departure was before March 15th.

I am emailing you because this resolution does not seem fair since my original ticket was for the end of March and now I cannot book a ticket for the end of March to go to the original planned destination. Ultra is held Fri, Mar 29, 2019 – Sun, Mar 31, 2019. I wanted to book my return ticket for Wednesday March 27th -Monday April 1st. Although apparently I am not allowed.

What's your desired resolution? I would like to have the ability to use my credit before March 15th for a ticket scheduled to be used on March 27th 2019 and returning on April 1st. It is not a difficult request because I am willing to use the credit but I wanted to use it for the similar time period of end of March as specified above. I do not think my request is over asking American Airlines. I also think that this is very reasonable and I would appreciate the opportunity to make my 2019 vacation a redo of 2018. Thank you

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 488

Date of transaction/travel date: 03/15/2018

Edited by moderator to remove ticket number

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately a ticket credit is only valid for a year from the date you bought the ticket. If you had checked your AA account credit, it should have stated the expiration date.

We have company contacts on top of our page. You can write to AA and do what we call “artfully beg” them to make an exception and extend the credit for you. Tell them you didn’t understand the credit had to be traveled by the expiration date and ask if they would consider making an exception and extend it .

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am curious about the amount of the credit. You should have had the amount of the tix less the change/cancel fee available to you. I've never encountered a "50% credit". I hope they can do something for you.