American Airlines misinformed me costing me half my spring break vacation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 7, 2019
Well, we know that the AA agent told our OP that his flight had been canceled when it had not been. That false statement was not caused by our OP or the weather. And it caused our OP much inconvenience. He deserves to be compensated for that.

Dec 19, 2014
BTW, I share the OP's frustration. He relied on the AA's agent for the best recommendation and ended up being delayed by 2 days and having to pay for 2 days of lodging in Chicago. Just saying that in communications with AA, care needs to be taken to even slightly insinuate that the agent lied.

Reimbursement for the hotel in Chicago isn't going to happen, but a clear explanation of the situation may yield say 10k miles.

May 10, 2019
BTW, I share the OP's frustration. He relied on the AA's agent for the best recommendation and ended up being delayed by 2 days and having to pay for 2 days of lodging in Chicago. Just saying that in communications with AA, care needs to be taken to even slightly insinuate that the agent lied.

Reimbursement for the hotel in Chicago isn't going to happen, but a clear explanation of the situation may yield say 10k miles.
Yes, I believe there was no malicious intent from the agent in Baltimore putting me on a different flight thinking that my flight was cancelled. But it's the fact that if I had not been on that flight to Chicago my vacation would not have been ruined and then an additional cost for me to stay in Chicago as well as the fact that time was taken away from spending time with my family in Tucson Arizona, that in itself is priceless and we'll never get back.

Aug 29, 2015
Did you have trip insurance? Did you book with a credit card that provides it? If so, see if you can make a claim for trip interruption for the hotel and meals in Chicago.

Nov 27, 2017
I thought I read somewhere that you were 7 hours before your flight. Is that correct? In the 7 hours, did you go back to check to see if your flight has been reinstated? Could the flight have been cancelled when the agent first looked at it when you checked in and later a flight was rerouted and uncancelled?

May 10, 2019
Yes, I was there 7 hours early trying to get on a earlier flight, she told me the earlier flight was canceled then said my flight was cancelled also. she put me on the flight to Chicago, on the flight about 3 hours later after she told me I looked on my phone to find out it was not cancelled.

Nov 27, 2017
So you were still at the airport and found out that your flight was not cancelled, did you go back to the AA desk to see if they could put you back on your original flight? My guess is that AA was able to find a plane and reinstate the flight, but in order to put you back on the flight, you would have had to ask for it back.

May 10, 2019
So you were still at the airport and found out that your flight was not cancelled, did you go back to the AA desk to see if they could put you back on your original flight? My guess is that AA was able to find a plane and reinstate the flight, but in order to put you back on the flight, you would have had to ask for it back.
No, I was already on the plane to Chicago when I found out. I don't honestly think my flight was ever cancelled.

Nov 27, 2017
You would have to be able to prove that. For example: pull up your phone right there and then and verify, or a screenshot of the TVs showing the status. You are making a serious claim in a he said she said situtation. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but you have very little hard evidence that she lied about whether or not the flight was cancel. Again, keep in mind that the flight could have very well been cancelled and then reinstated. With you getting in so early, the flight may have been cancelled at the time you tried to check in and reinstated hours later.

Feb 12, 2019
I would think it might have been canceled in the back office as they currently had no plane to fly it, but they were still trying to find a plane so they hadn't officially canceled it yet. Unless you're the first flight of the day - your flight is going out on a plane flying in on a specific flight. When that flight is delayed or canceled it will effect your flight and the airline might not have an alternative available for you to fly out on. It sounds like at the time you talked to the gate agent they hadn't found a plane to take over for your flight so they proactively moved you. If the flight was actually canceled you would have been better off than the 100+ other passengers scrambling for a new flight after the flight was officially canceled much closer to the flight.

Tangentially, when I flew Air Canada last summer their app would tell you what previous flight your plane was coming in on and indicated whether it was on time or delayed. I thought it was pretty handy in that it gave you an idea ahead of time if your flight was likely to be on time or delayed.

Aug 29, 2018
You would have to be able to prove that. For example: pull up your phone right there and then and verify, or a screenshot of the TVs showing the status. You are making a serious claim in a he said she said situtation. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but you have very little hard evidence that she lied about whether or not the flight was cancel. Again, keep in mind that the flight could have very well been cancelled and then reinstated. With you getting in so early, the flight may have been cancelled at the time you tried to check in and reinstated hours later.
If the previous flight was canceled, odds are decent that the passengers on the original flight could have been rebooked into the OP's original seat -- so if the OP had tried to go back and request it, it would have not have been available.