American Airlines/JustFly.com-Justdontfly

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 9, 2019
A Just Fly reservation agent made a reservation that did not include info regarding additional fees for a checked bag. It was not disclosed at the point of sale as the reservation would not have been made. Spoke to supervisors Maria and May regarding my situation and why the agency failed to inform me of the ticket restrictions for luggage and the significant extra cost this would be on top of the airplane ticket BEFORE the ticket was purchased, so I could make a fully informed decision before the point of sale. I just discovered this during the online check-in 24 hours before the flight was due to leave, which is completely unacceptable. It is an international destination and therefore, check-in luggage is a must for a two week trip abroad. If the travel agency had supplied me with the complete airfare costs including luggage then the airfare ticket would never have been purchased. The supervisors offered no assistance whatsoever and because I cannot afford the additional fees and cannot manage with a carry on for two weeks must cancel the trip. result of the extra charges for luggage check-in. After 2+ hours on phone with agents quoting various fees that would have to be paid at the airport causing me to go beyond a strict trip allowance, the flight was not boarded and all arrangements cancelled as a result.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have 24 hours after you book to cancel
a booking. Did your confirmation say anything about checking baggage fees? If it did you had the option to cancel when you saw the fees within 24 hours.

If you had booked yourself online, the info is there :

If you book online, gives you a link before you complete the purchase that has a link for baggage fees. You needed to click on it before you booked.

Here is a picture of the screen that shows the LINK. And it appears before you click to buy.

Attachments

Last edited:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
A Just Fly reservation agent made a reservation that did not include info regarding additional fees for a checked bag. It was not disclosed at the point of sale as the reservation would not have been made. Spoke to supervisors Maria and May regarding my situation and why the agency failed to inform me of the ticket restrictions for luggage and the significant extra cost this would be on top of the airplane ticket BEFORE the ticket was purchased, so I could make a fully informed decision before the point of sale. I just discovered this during the online check-in 24 hours before the flight was due to leave, which is completely unacceptable. It is an international destination and therefore, check-in luggage is a must for a two week trip abroad. If the travel agency had supplied me with the complete airfare costs including luggage then the airfare ticket would never have been purchased. The supervisors offered no assistance whatsoever and because I cannot afford the additional fees and cannot manage with a carry on for two weeks must cancel the trip. result of the extra charges for luggage check-in. After 2+ hours on phone with agents quoting various fees that would have to be paid at the airport causing me to go beyond a strict trip allowance, the flight was not boarded and all arrangements cancelled as a result.
Did you cancel your flight or simply fail to board it?

Unfortunately, virtually all airlines (except SouthWest) have been charging checked baggage fees for many years.

Mar 17, 2015
I think in the past few years, some international lines have been selling rock bottom price airfare without any baggage allowance. Contrast this to before that, where most international travel included at least one free bag. However, not sure how someone has enough money to travel internationally for 2 weeks can not afford the baggage fees.

On another note, look up a capsule wardrobe, I managed to pack for a 2 week winter trip in a carryon, with boots. It did involve laundry, but it is doable. So, yes, you can travel for two weeks with a carryon. There are multiple blogs/articles on how to do it. And a few loads of laundry is much cheaper than baggage fees. Hopefully you did not already cancel and can still make the trip.

Sep 19, 2015
Why book with justfly instead of airline directly? And over the telephone with justfly?
Most OTAs tell one to contact operating carrier for the baggage and seat charges. What does your confirmation say?

Did you buy a Transatlantic Basic Economy fare?

AA has a list of the baggage charges

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp

So you could not afford the $60 baggage fee each direction (the highest charge it seems for international) so you cancelled the entire two week trip?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry that you cancelled your trip. But it may have been a positive decision ... if the checked bag fee is not affordable, you may have had real troubles while you were travelling. When you plan travel in the future, I would advise that you find a real travel agent (not an online/phone booking service, they just take your order) to assist you with the planning. Then you would have a good handle on all the costs of the trip before you booked the air.

Jul 13, 2016
It sounds like you are not an experienced traveler. Airlines have charged checked baggage fees for years (except Southwest). There have been countless news stories about checked baggage fees and airline disclosures.

Unfortunately, you made two errors when booking this trip. You should have reviewed your email confirmation immediately (you would have seen the notice about baggage fees and be able to cancel without penalty as it was within 24 hours of booking) and you used a crappy online travel booking company--JustFly is not a well-regarded company and their phone staff are not real travel agents with years of experience booking airline tickets. JustFly simply sells the tickets and it is up to the traveler to be aware of additional fees, passport and visa regulations, at the very least.