American Airlines - Issue While Traveling With an Infant

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 27, 2017
there is also the possibility that the tickets were tied together so when neither one of you boarded with your group, it flagged the system. Once you didn't respond to the call out, they gave both seats away after your boarding group. I have seen in some cases, one partner will board first to put up all the carry on items and the other partner boards later with the baby. If your tickets are tied together, then they are less likely to give away your seats.

Dec 21, 2018
there is also the possibility that the tickets were tied together so when neither one of you boarded with your group, it flagged the system. Once you didn't respond to the call out, they gave both seats away after your boarding group. I have seen in some cases, one partner will board first to put up all the carry on items and the other partner boards later with the baby. If your tickets are tied together, then they are less likely to give away your seats.
Is this something they always do? Because I had waited until the end to board before this flight and neither of our names were ever called for not boarding with our group. And regardless, if the rule is that we have until 15 minutes before the flight, how could they give away our seats before that?

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Not yet. How can I do that?
Sorry about that, in post 16 I suggested it but without the link. Here it is

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/

The best way to try to get this resolved is start at the top of the list of contacts, wait a week or so for them to reply and if they don't reply, go on the to the next person, etc. Explain succinctly and without emotion what happened, make sure you point out that although one of you was there at 12:45, both seats had been given away by then so even if you had both been there you would have been in the same situation. They should be able to look up the history of your ticket and see what and when everything happened.

Dec 21, 2018
Sorry about that, in post 16 I suggested it but without the link. Here it is

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/american-airlines/

The best way to try to get this resolved is start at the top of the list of contacts, wait a week or so for them to reply and if they don't reply, go on the to the next person, etc. Explain succinctly and without emotion what happened, make sure you point out that although one of you was there at 12:45, both seats had been given away by then so even if you had both been there you would have been in the same situation. They should be able to look up the history of your ticket and see what and when everything happened.
Great. I will do that. Thanks very much!

Dec 17, 2018
It stands to reason that if you have to be AT the gate and READY to board 15 minutes before the flight leaves, then your seats SHOULD NOT be reassigned until AFTER that period of time has passed, correct?

So if the seats were already reassigned PRIOR TO 15 minutes before, then what AA is saying is that you have to be there MORE THAN 15 minutes ahead.

I understand the whole "they left the gate, they weren't ready to board, etc, etc" Yes, I understand all of that.

But the problem here is that AA appears to have given their seats away BEFORE the 15 minute period was up. So maybe the seats were given away at 20 minutes prior, maybe 25 minutes prior, who knows? But if the seats were given away MORE than 15 minutes prior to take off time, then AA isn't following their own rules. That's how I see it. No, they shouldn't have cut it this close. But if the seats were gone more than 15 minutes prior to take off, something is off here, BEYOND the fact that they left the gate area.