American Airlines Delay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 13, 2019
In March AA delayed our return home for 2 days. They sent a text to rebook our flight. When calling customer service was told earliest they could get us home from FL to CT was on Mon. Spent about $1000. for condo, meals and rental car. AA offering $200. travel voucher. My counter off is vouchers and upgrade to first on an upcoming international flight. Since on Mon. they were offering $800. to travelers, on a different flight, to be bumped, my request, to me, seems reasonable. Missed a family event and a day of work.

Any thoughts??

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Believe it or not, according to the DOT, if a flight is canceled, the airline has to do one of two things- put you on the next available flight, which you found out may not be for several days, or provide you with a refund. They aren’t required to pay for a hotel or anything else if the flight isn’t for a few days- that’s what travel insurance would cover.

When they rebooked you, did they agree to pay for a hotel, meals or a car? That a lot of money for two days- could you have stayed at a less expensive hotel?

Travel insurance would reimburse you up to a certain dollar amount each day. Did you have insurance? If you did, put in a claim.

If you didn’t, check with the credit card you used to book your trip and see if they have any insurance you could use.

Your request is not reasonable because they didn’t do anything that is contrary to DOT rules. You needed insurance for the delay.

Sep 19, 2015
In March AA delayed our return home for 2 days. They sent a text to rebook our flight. When calling customer service was told earliest they could get us home from FL to CT was on Mon. Spent about $1000. for condo, meals and rental car. AA offering $200. travel voucher. My counter off is vouchers and upgrade to first on an upcoming international flight. Since on Mon. they were offering $800. to travelers, on a different flight, to be bumped, my request, to me, seems reasonable. Missed a family event and a day of work.

Any thoughts??
Why was the flight cancelled?

I doubt you will get a free upgrade to business class for an international flight. I do not think any airline does that.

Involuntary denied boarding is covered by the DOT so voluntary denied boarding incentives are not relevant to cancellations.

1000 for two days delay is a lot.

Apr 13, 2019
The bulk of the expense was for extending the condo we had rented and was able to extend for 2 more nights. $830 for the condo. This all happened early in the morning we were supposed to leave. We had to extend or leave by 10 am and hotels in the area were booked.
Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 6, 2015
In support of what Neil and Christina have stated . . .

According to their policy for delays and cancellations:

"When your flight is canceled or a delay will cause you to miss your connection, we will rebook you on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control or you were diverted to another city, and we don’t board to your final destination before 11:59 p.m. local time, we'll arrange an overnight stay at your connecting airport, if available."​

Unless your condo was located at the airport, they have fulfilled their obligation. Regarding their offer of "$800 to travelers on a different flight to be bumped", as Christina pointed out this happened because their flight was "oversold", which is the requirement in order to receive Involuntary Denied Compensation. If this applied to your flight, AA would have announced it.

I suspect the delay (2 days) was a result of travel during spring break, and it seems a fir offer . . .

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
AA canceled and delayed flights in March due to the 737 MAX grounding. They did not have the capacity to reschedule earlier due to this. My daughter was caught in the same issue in FL in March. You can ask for a larger voucher but if your requests are not reasonable you may get nowhere.

Sep 19, 2015
The bulk of the expense was for extending the condo we had rented and was able to extend for 2 more nights. $830 for the condo. This all happened early in the morning we were supposed to leave. We had to extend or leave by 10 am and hotels in the area were booked.
Thanks for the feedback.
Was the flight cancellation related to the grounding of the 737 Max jets or weather or something else?

I suspect as Vor61 pointed out that Spring Break meant a lot of full flights and hotels.

Did you already make the "counter offer"?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
As the people who are still looking out the window at snow right now might say, a couple extra days in Florida is a GOOD thing. You were probably caught between the MAX disaster and heavily-booked spring break flights. When you write to AA, tell them what the rates were at an airport hotel ... to justify more than $400 a night at the condo. I was in Ft Myers in March and the airport hotels were going for $200+; spring break is BIG in Florida. You can ask AA for more compensation, but $200 seems quite good to me. In their little bean-counter minds, that reimburses you for your meals and a bit of the rental car.

BTW, you are the only person I remember who thinks that an upgrade for a future flight is a great compensation idea. I've always thought that this was an excellent way to 1) compensate someone like you and 2) look really good in the travellers' eyes and 3) not actually spend any money. But apparently we're the only ones who think that.

Dec 19, 2014
Reality check...
You are not going to get an unrestricted systemwide upgrade to first class. If you ask for this in your offer, there is a high probability that your request will be ignored. A unrestricted systemwide upgrade to first class on an international flight is worth thousands of dollars, and is not proportional to the damages that you experienced.

Reality check #2...
As VoR and Neil have already mentioned, the DOT rules are not on your side. AA's obligation is to either rebook you on the next available flight, or offer you a refund.
At best, a well written letter will get you an apology and possibly a voucher in the $50-100 amount

There are circumstances that may increase the amount of compensation, but based on what you typed, the above is a realistic expectation

Dec 19, 2014
BTW, you are the only person I remember who thinks that an upgrade for a future flight is a great compensation idea. I've always thought that this was an excellent way to 1) compensate someone like you and 2) look really good in the travellers' eyes and 3) not actually spend any money. But apparently we're the only ones who think that.
I once received an unrestricted systemwide one-class upgrade as compensation for being bumped. These certificates are few and far between, and are very valuable.

In the OPs case, a unrestricted systemwide upgrade to international first class is out of proportion to the inconvenience. On international flights, first class requires a 2 class upgrade. Not going to happen

Sep 19, 2015
A confirmed upgrade to international First is worth a lot of money -- one may get a certificate for being bumped (either voluntary or involuntary) but for a cancellation -- that is not going to happen. If the OP is flying economy that is a two class upgrade on an international flight -- given the amount of cancellations with the 737 MAX the airline is not going to handing out that many upgrades. The 737 max issue is dreadful for flyers but this is not the fault of the airline.

As we have no idea what the original fare was, the $200 voucher may represent half of the round trip fare.

I think the OP may be able to get some miles as an extra good will gesture but by asking too much there risk is being ignored.

Feb 3, 2017
I may have missed something but were there others in the LW's party who were delayed passengers?

If so, was the LW shouldering the full $1000 for the two days on his own for just his own personal expenses or did it include costs attributed to other people?

I am reading "our flight" so presumably there were others with the LW who were delayed and wouldn't they also be requesting some sort of compensation? Is the AA offer he/she received just for the LW only (which I would presume)