American Air Bumps Prem Econ Seat After 6 months

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2017
American Airlines

On 5/28/2017 I booked AGS- SYD round trip . LAX- SYD , AA 73 and SYD- LAX AA 72 were Prem Econ, 787-9. The entire 21 seat section was available in each flight. I selected 9A because it was the bulkhead and only row 9 had recliner type foot rests ( including a thigh rest), rows 10 and 11 do not, only a foot rest under the seat.

I have been checking periodically and always 9A was shown. Until yesterday, 12/20/2017. Suddenly and capriciously, American moved me to 10 C on 73 and 11 A on 72.

I tried twice through 2 levels of customer Service and the answer was “ flight change” and no correction . No flight change was subsequently notified.

I was successful in moving flight 72 to 9 C since it was available.

This makes no sense, it’s as if they put the seats in a hat, shook them up and reseated.

What's your desired resolution? Put me back to the seats I held from 5/28/17 to 12/19/17, 9A.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 300

Date of transaction/travel date: 2017-05-28

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They probably changed the type of plane you were flying on. Most likely you are now on a smaller plane that doesn’t have the same number of seats as your original had. If that’s the case there isn’t much you can do.

We have company contacts on top of our page. Write to the customer service email address.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Sep 19, 2015
The OP was not bumped, -- bumped from a plane means that there is no seat provided -- the OP was moved to another seat in the same class.

There can be numerous reasons for a move -- air craft change is most often, but other times one is moved to accommodate the special needs of another passenger -- this is especially true in the bulkhead, where someone with mobility issues may be placed or those traveling with an infant or children.

When is the flight?

Dec 21, 2017
Sorry, it is still the same aircraft, 787-9. And the reason I was given was “ flight/ schedule change”, but none has been forthcoming.

Flight is 1/16/2018

And I’ve already written to customer service, case number is :1-25963624158

I’m going to ge a bull dog on this, being first in, holding a seat for 7 months, makes no sense to bump me.

Last edited:

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
On flight 73 on Jan 16, 11c is located in the premium economy cabin so you haven't been bumped from premium economy. You have been bumped from the bulkhead, but unfortunately, specific seat assignments are never guaranteed. And the flight looks like, at this time, Premium Economy is full.

Attachments

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@David Cairns ... It a bulk head seat. There are a number of people who would bump you including ACAA people, couples with a bassinet reservation (if there's a bassinet), or a Concierge Key member.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter to AA. Your seat assignment isn't guaranteed just requested. They can move you at anytime for any reason. They moved you. They probably aren't going to bump someone for you.

Follow Neil's advice writing customer service but I would come up with something else you'd except other than the seat assignment.

Dec 21, 2017
The part that makes no sense is that the entire 21 Seat Prem Econ section has been full for over 4 months. The customers had every opportunity to request special needs and then out of the blue I was moved, and the reason given was sched change which now 3 days later has not been communicated.

What is concierge key member???

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
David, have you taken the recommendation and started writing to AA? That is the normal course for a complaint. We don’t know the exact reason you were moved - the airline is the one that has to tell you. Others have given you all the possible reasons you could have been moved.

However, that’s neither here or there. Seating assignments are never guaranteed. If you are still in premium economy you are getting what you paid for.

Here are the Passenger Bill of Rights according to the DOT. You can see that seat assignments are not guaranteed:

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@David Cairns Just because its been booked up, it doesn't mean that someone didn't call AA special assistance to let them know they had an issue. In which case they would have had to make a change.

Concierge Key is AA's top elite level. They get whatever they want (Car transfers gate to gate on the tarmac, overbooking and bumping someone off a plane, you name it). Remember "Up in the Air" with George Clooney.

Jan 6, 2015
I've been on the forum long enough to smile when I see the airlines' term "assignment". As @Neil and @johnbaker have said, seats can thus be "re-assigned". Your flight is, as such, "reserved", but that can change as well.

I think it's unlikely that any airline will share the underlying detail as to why you were reassigned. That's an internal matter, and may even have been computer-automated. We have actually seen threads by other travelers where they were moved into another class of seating altogether. That may have occurred here to the person whose seat you now "occupy".

So, as @Neil recommended, email them and see if they are willing to accommodate your request. Should you do so, keep in mind that you are requesting something they are not obligated to provide.

This is the unfortunate state of air travel in the USA today ...

Sep 19, 2015
It is pretty bad of AA to have such different types of leg rests in the premium economy, because it does make a difference.

That being said a number of reasons why AA just said schedule change, maybe the airline does not want to disclose a passengers disability; maybe the passenger was late in asking for assistance.

If it is a high status flyer maybe they will get an upgrade closer to departure time.

I have had my seat assignment moved, never knew why but it was for short flights, so it was not a big concern like a 15 hour flight

Dec 21, 2017
Actually, my fall back strategy is to check AA app twice a day and the first cancellation / rebooking I’m going to pounce like a lion on a hunk of meat .

Jul 27, 2016
The other variable that might be involved (and I'm speculating here) is a Federal Air Marshal (FAM), although if you were moved out of a window seat, then that's unlikely, they get aisles. If it was a FAM, the airline will NOT tell you it was a FAM. Puts the customer service people in an really awkward position, they're effectively required by the gov't to lie to customers.

Dec 21, 2017
Thought of the FAM possibility.

Again, the BFD on this is the leg rest issue only in Row 9. Most other 787-9 users has leg rests in all three rows . And, most are better than AA.

Sep 19, 2015
The OP should definitely keep checking the seating. Upgrades usually clear just a few days before departure.

The airlines cause problems by having such different seat amenities in the same class. The legrest is very different between row 9 and the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.